H.I.S. Synthetic Brush

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by GDCarrington, Apr 14, 2012.

1. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Please keep things civil, folks.

Smott likes this.
  2. Smott

Smott Chew your shave. Slowly.

As I've mentioned before, I have been very pleased with my Mühle 21mm synthetic silvertip. I don't doubt that the H.I.S. brush is a good brush, but are there any specific, compelling reasons why someone looking to buy a brush now should wait for the restock? I think this sort of explanation would be more useful than simply telling someone to wait. The new Mühle synthetics are widely considered an excellent choice for a synthetic brush and can be had for an attractive price depending on the vendor. Combined with the more extensive variety of sizes, textures, and attractive handles, I think it a worthy consideration.

Now, please realize that this doesn't diminish the H.I.S. brush. I'm just surprised to hear such firm recommendations when we're so careful about affixing "YMMV" to every other review for every other product. Are there any commercial interests or other factors which might be disclosed to explain your distinct enthusiasm for this product in particular? Or is the product really that much better than everything else that a YMMV doesn't apply?

Queen of Blades and PLANofMAN like this.
  3. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Gary can probably answer this better than I can, but I'll give it a shot.

Most synthetic brushes have various failings when compared to natural brushes. Recently, a few manufacturers have developed brushes that are almost as good as a silvertip badger, and in some ways, better. Muhle is one of those companies, Franks is another.

What makes the H.I.S. brush so attractive is the combination of size, quality, and price. When you have a brush that is the size of the largest silvertip badgers, is as soft as a silvertip badger, is a stiff as a boar brush and performs outstandingly well for a fraction of the price ($32 including shipping) It's hard not to jump on the bandwagon. This brush is also more densely packed with bristles than any other synthetic on the market now. Honestly, this brush could retail for far more than they are selling it for now.

When you factor in the fact that this company is also making an effort to improve their products, gives great (and personalized) customer service and listens to feedback from the customers and acts upon it...

well, the only reason I could see for not recommending this brush to anyone is the large size of it (if they wanted a smaller brush).

I didn't thoroughly read the post about him wanting a smaller brush, and I'm sorry I came across so harshly. I didn't realize that he already owned the H.I.S. Brush.

Smott, newb and GDCarrington like this.
  4. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

They are discussing things, but I have nothing definitive yet.

Mo has a Muhle, so he is waiting for the H.I.S.

5. SharpSpine

SharpSpine Well-Known Member

Gary, my reply about the Muhle was to newb. I quoted his post when I made it so as not to create confusion but that wasn't enough apparently.

6. newb

newb Resident Newb

Is the Muhle better than the Frank's synth? The Frank's is an awesome synthetic brush. I was very satisfied with it till I tried the HIS. How does the Muhle compare?

7. SharpSpine

I've not used the Frank, but everyone that's used both & posted information prefers the Muhles, at least as far as I've been able to tell. Their fibers are better than the Frank, & therefore the HIS too. The HIS just is a much larger knot & more dense possibly. You also have two choices of fibres with the Silvertip & Black versions. The black isn't very dense but is super soft. The silvertip is more dense, probably not HIS dense, but plenty dense for my taste. HTHs.

Tdmsu likes this.
  8. Smott

Great discussion. These posts, with others, will certainly benefit those investigating synthetic brushes for the first time. I'm assuming then that neither Gary, nor Ryan, have any monetary ties to the company, and are just enthusiastic about the brush's qualities. Here's a summary of the described benefits that seem to be considered somewhat exclusive to each brand mentioned. I can edit this as needed.

Summary of benefits (H.I.S. vs Mühle):

H.I.S. - Large size, high density + accompanying water retention, personalized service — more brush for the money

Mühle - Size variety, fiber variety, handle, reputation — more options for the money

Am I missing anything? [​IMG]

EDIT: Updated with Ryan's suggestion.

Tdmsu likes this.
  9. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    Unless you count money spent purchasing the brush(es).:) I really like the brush. Gary has been involved with a group of people, including members of this forum, who have been purchasing and evaluating modern synthetic brushes. I like to think it makes his observations carry a bit more weight than my enthusiastic fan boy ravings.
    :bounce015::bounce017:

The H.I.S. brush retains far more water than any other synthetic because of it's density. The H.I.S. brush also has a much flatter top than the Muhle brushes. It does not show in the pictures but is easy to see in the hand.

10. SharpSpine

... & sheer size. I doubt the fibers are better at this. There just happens to be so many that it traps & holds more water.

11. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    Um, yeah...I said that. that is what i meant when I used the word density. I'm sure size doesn't hurt, but I would expect a smaller, equally dense brush to have the same water retention properties.

12. SharpSpine

Sort of but yes. A 21mm knot could theoretically be more dense yet still not have the water retention ability of a 28mm knot. The # of fibers along with fiber length (larger knots will usually also have longer lofts) will make a huge difference. So it's not just density. Now if two brushes have the same specs, then yes the more dense brush will hold water better. I just don't think there is any other synthetic with a 28mm knot. So it's almost like comparing apples to oranges.

13. newb

newb Resident Newb

I think Muhle is on the pricey end.? My HIS was twice the price of Frank's, but well worth the cost. Does the Muhle offer the same price to value ratio? I'm still very satisfied with the Frank's and I whole heartedly still recommend this to NEWB's as a first brush. I do though want a Brush that offers the luxury of the HIS but in a 24mm knot. Synthetic has come so far in the last 6 months that I wonder if Badger, boar, or horse will be able to compete in the future? The HIS is as soft as my Silvertips, has the backbone of my Semogue. Really what more could you want? A 24mm ! 28mm Brushes are just too big for me.

14. Smott

I got the Mühle 21mm silvertip fiber for $40 shipped. I suppose in your case, where you already have a H.I.S. brush, it would be a question of whether or not the size and handle are important enough to buy another brush.

15. bjmacnevin

bjmacnevin New Member

Okay... I give up! Where can you buy this brush!? I want to try it. AWESOME reviews. But I can't find a way to order on the company website and can't find it an Amazon. DOH! Any ideas?

16. Smott

They're reorganizing. Those H.I.S. brushes should be available on Amazon again in the coming weeks.

17. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

18. MoAllen

MoAllen King of Unscented

Great news!

The black handled brush is now back in stock at Amazon. I just ordered one.

Not saying that I have been checking each day or anything... :)

GDCarrington and PLANofMAN like this.
  19. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Brian, the fibers are different on the H.I.S. The length of the tips (which I have seen on no other synthetic to date) are another reason why this brush feels super soft. Softer than any synthetic on the market today. The density provides the backbone and water retention. The combination of the those two elements have just not been fully replicated by any other brush on the market.

Tdmsu likes this.
  20. Smott

From today's Sharpologist article:
    Though I'm not exactly sure why feeling "natural" would be preferable in this case?? I suppose if you're accustomed to badger, perhaps the Muhle or EJ more closely resemble those, but Mantic59 didn't go into any detail as to why the H.I.S. not feeling as "natural" would be a problem.