Had my first DE shave today ...

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by DavidSeattleWA, Mar 27, 2008.

1. Had my very first DE shave today (Merkur HD). I did "ok" but it will take a little bit of practice. I found the toughest part to be shaving down low on my neck because it's hard to get that surface flat! And with a DE the head doesn't pivot so you have to be SO gentle and get into that area at just the right angle. As expected, I got a tiny nick right around the adam's apple. Kinda saw that coming the way the blade felt. The DE is definately less forgiving than the trusty cartridge razor. Not something to be underestimated. Cheeks and sideburns were no problem because the surface is flat. That was the easy part. I have a heavy and course beard so it takes me a little longer to shave if I want to do it carefully. I've never used a straight razor but it seems like a straight would be easier to manipulate as far as the angle of the blade against your skin. With the DE it seems like you're very limited on angles and getting into tight places. Anyway, back to my topic.

One thing I have going against me is the fact that I don't have a brush! I've been going brushless with Proraso and Musgo Real cream. I get "a" lather but I think the kind of lather I get is not the ideal kind. I get the cream on my face and it drys up before I even have a chance to get halfway through my shave! I keep having to massage more water into my beard to keep the lather moist and slick. Is this just a part of wet shaving regardless if you're using a brush or not? Will using a brush eliminate this problem? Perhaps a soap lather stays moist for longer than a cream lather? My razor didn't seem to glide very well on my skin ... I felt a lot of pulling and drag - didn't feel right at all. Could this be due to my overall method?

One thing I know for sure is that I need a brush. My new buddy Lee, at Lee's Razors pointed me to the Vulfix 2233 Super Badger for $59. What do you guys think? I KNOW that the shave I got today could be a lot better. I think the biggest problem is my lather (or lack thereof).

Do you guys agree? Any feedback would be great!

Thanks

2. Mike54

Mike54 New Member

All in all, it sounds as if you had a pretty good shave for your first go at it.

Shaving with a DE will require a bit more focus that was necessary with the cartridge razor. (Just wait until you try a straight for the first time!) And you will find that each razor/blade combination will require its own techniques, as well. It's all part of the enjoyment, trying to find what combinations work the best with each other.

Lee has a great reputation, so I'm betting the Vulfix is worth a try.

I picked up a 33175 Omega from Barbieria Italiana a few weeks back and have found it to be a keeper. I like it because it seems to work equally well with both soaps and creams. A really great brush for a really great price.

Tomorrow, just remember what didn't work on your lower neck and try a different method. You'll soon find what works best for you.

3. netsurfr

netsurfr New Member

Congrats on the shave!

4. Thanks, Mike. I think my routine in general needs some re-tooling. I can get the hang of the DE, I just a need a brush and to learn proper lathering technique!

5. Thanks

6. Congratulations - Who knew shaving could be so interesting

7. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Congrats, David! :happy088

I'd suggest getting some different blades than the Merkurs.

8. pizzaguy

pizzaguy Member

Adam's apple

Have you tried a half swallow -- also move your skin away from the area helps for me. what blades are you using?

9. I'm using Merkur blades. Today was my second shave and it wasn't much more comfortable than the first one. Maybe I'm so used to using a cartridge razor I've become comfortable with it. My biggest complaint is how much drag and resistance I'm getting. Also, the blade doesn't feel like it's cutting, it just makes a scratching noise (no, I'm not leaning on the blade - I'm using very light pressure, if any). I'm not getting butchered by any means, the shave just isn't comfortable. Maybe it's simply a combination of being totally new to the DE, working with a much smaller and heavy razor, and really having to slow down my shave in order to not cut myself (I'm not trying to race, mind you ... but with my sensor I'm able to comfortably go faster).

I really wonder if it's the lather and the fact that I'm not using a brush that's causing all the drag and resistance. I wonder if using a shave soap and a brush would keep my lather nice and slick throughout the shave ....??

I haven't given up and I'm not bleeding ... but it certainly hasn't been as comfortable as I'd hoped.

10. Queen of Blades

Go to Wal-Mart, CVS, Walgreens, where ever and pick up a boar brush and some Personna DE blades.

A lot of people do not like Merkurs for the exact reasons you are saying your shave was bad.

And if you want to see if buying a badger brush is even worth trying, a cheap boar brush is an ok place to start. It'll give you more of an idea of what the brush can do.

11. Thanks JoAnna. Maybe it's the blades - although I've heard very good things about the Merkur blades so who knows .... must be one of those YMMV things. Might as well try a different brand - it's not like they're expensive.

12. Queen of Blades

ummmm.....where did you hear that? :confused:

I won't say Merkurs aren't good blades for some.....

but most people don't like them at all.

It is definetly a YMMV thing. :)

13. The gentleman that I bought the razor (and blades) from told me they're just fine :confused: I guess that doesn't necessarily equate to "good". He felt that the Merkur blades are good to start off with so who was I to argue ... I'm new :ashamed001

Thanks again

14. Is that an African Swallow or a European Swallow ?;)

15. DragonBoy

DragonBoy Team Player

Id say its the blade - you describe my feel for the Merkur exactly.. It tugs and scrapes more than cutting.. Get some other blades to try.. I use Derby Extras and like them very much.. But a blade sampler is a very good thing to get..

So ditch the Merkur blades.. Thats my opinion!

16. I'm thinking you're right. I think I need to get myself a sampler pack - probably the best way to go. I've heard the Feather blades are not the best choice for a beginner as they are extremely sharp and very unforgiving. But I have a heavy and course beard so maybe I require a really sharp blade...?

Thanks!

17. redorchestra

redorchestra New Member

I would take Joanna's suggestion and try the personna or whatever brand you can find at your local drugs store or barber/beauty supply. I found a pack of blades with no brand and they were my best blades for a while. Also try really wetting and moistening your beard well, hot towel, or long hot shower, and getting the room nice and steamy. It may help to keep the shave cream from drying.

18. Thanks, good idea

19. ok, guys. Time for me to buy new blades. I can't take another shave with these Merkur blades. They're doing a real hack job on me and making shaving very unpleasant lately. I can't seem to find any other reason that I'm getting uncomfortable shaves - it's gotta be the blades.

Whaddaya think? Personna, Derby? I've been told Derby's would be a really good choice. A step up from Merkur but not quite as sharp as Feathers ...?

20. Will

Will Nevermind

SAMPLE PACK! SAMPLE PACK!

Try Crystals and Derbys next it you have them.