Had my first shave......

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by allicedout, Mar 5, 2015.

1. allicedout

allicedout Member

So my new EJ DE89 arrived today along with a new Omega boar brush, Omega Soap and a variety of blades. I choose to try the Astra Stainless blue as my first. Being a little anxious like a kid on Christmas I obviously dove right in. So I did a hot towel to moisten the skin and soften the hair. I tried the "dry" method of applying soap to my face. Lather build was good, in all honesty I could have worked the lather forever that's how good it felt. After all said and done took the Edwin Jagger to my face for the first time. I kept my strokes short, rinsed it after ever stroke and completed my shave. I did notice the soap drying out on my face towards the end. The shave felt good until I decided to re-lather and redo the shave as I ofter do with my disposable. I felt the irritation on my neck immediately and stopped. So overall it was good, it doesn't feel as close as I'd like, but I'm also use to running the disposable against the grain and it was my first time. My skin feels fabulous, generally after a shave it feels stretched and very dry, I can honestly say my skin feels great after the shave. I definitely think some work is required on technique but I'm sure it will all come together in good time.

Daytonkb, 45auto, Slow Joe and 10 others like this.
  2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

:happy088::happy088: and it only gets better.
    Lather over a wet face, that's why it is called wet shaving. That will also keep the lather from drying out on your face. Rince after your first pass and leave your face wet for the next relather. I'm sure you'll find your shave much better.

3. Troy M

Troy M Prep: Mephitis mephitis musk

Congratulations! The cool thing about wet shaving is that you get to practice again, really soon! Keep up the good work and the enthusiasm!

GDCarrington and allicedout like this.
  4. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

good job
    you'll be a pro in no time. just keep at it.

5. Ceferguson

Ceferguson Well-Known Member

Congratulations, don't worry too much about your neck I've been wet shaving for a year and I rarely get no irritation on my neck it's just a hard place to get the blade angle correct

6. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Congratulations! You are off to a great start!

7. Tattoobob

Tattoobob Well-Known Member

Nice job, enjoy yourself

allicedout and GDCarrington like this.
  8. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Good start. More moisture is needed in the cream. You can apply water as a gentle splash before lathering as well.

allicedout likes this.
  9. Jostalli

Jostalli Well-Known Member

Congratulations!! Sounds like you are off to a great start. There is no turning back now and that is a good thing

:happy093::wave:

allicedout likes this.
  10. allicedout

allicedout Member

Well today was Day 2. Started with a shower first, I did remember to wet my face before lathering this time!! Small short strokes like last time and everything went well. I'm still trying to get use to not going against the grain, I will assume the shave will get closer and feel better with time. Overall I'm really enjoying this!

Jostalli likes this.
  11. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    And the journey continues...
    Congratulations and the best of shaves to you.

allicedout likes this.
  12. idvsego

idvsego Well-Known Member

not the worst "first shave" story I have heard. Good job.

allicedout likes this.
  13. txskimo

txskimo Well-Known Member

Keep at it! Sounds like you're doing a good job so far.

allicedout likes this.
  14. Micah Jenkins

Micah Jenkins Active Member

You're doing great so far. It only gets better from here.

allicedout likes this.
  15. TCBENNETT55

TCBENNETT55 Active Member

Good job. Like others have said it gets better with time.

allicedout likes this.
  16. fakemoez

fakemoez Member

Are you doing a second pass against the grain? That's what I do, and that's my "understanding" of how it should be done too. I've had great success in the month or so since I started. I only shave my neck and just above my cheeks (I have a beard). So I shave with the grain on my neck, up to the bottom of my beard. I re-lather and shave against the grain down towards my neck. My hair grows in weird directions though, so I'm working towards a 3rd pass now (I believe the Feather blades will allow me to do that).

allicedout likes this.
  17. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

You have to do what works for you, but most folks make the second pass across the grain, third pass against.
    Advice I have heard for those who can't go aginst the grain is to make your first pass WTG, second pass at 45 degrees, thn another 45 degree pass in the other direction, like an X.

allicedout and fakemoez like this.
  18. Slow Joe

Slow Joe Relishing his obsession

Congratulations with your shave. Good job to stop when you felt the irritation, best not make it worse. Just remember to use a light touch, don't put pressure on the razor lime you would with a disposable razor.

allicedout likes this.
  19. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Congrats on a great start. As your technique improves, the results will get better. It usually takes me 3 passes to get a really close shave.

allicedout likes this.
  20. fakemoez

fakemoez Member

Thanks for the tip!

allicedout likes this.