Hair growing in weird directions!?

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by HarryK2000, Nov 26, 2016.

1. HarryK2000

HarryK2000 New Member

I shaved my face a couple weeks back and my beard has been growing in a backwards direction. The annoying thing is, it's only for 1 side so it's highly noticeable. Is there any way to get it growing in the original direction of straight down?

Keithmax and wristwatchb like this.
  2. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

@HarryK2000, welcome to The Shave Den! As far as shaving your face goes, it helps to map your beard so that you can plan your with-the-grain, across-the-grain, and for some, against-the-grain passes. Direction of beard growth varies with each person, so I'm not surprised by your observations.

I'm not a beard guy, so I'll let others chime in with their experiences. However, if beard hair is anything like the few hairs I have left on my head, it seems like you may need to keep combing it in the direction you want it to go.

I'm glad you found us. :happy088:

Last edited: Nov 26, 2016
    Matt0210 and HarryK2000 like this.
  3. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    I find it difficult to believe that a shave (or anything for that matter) can and did change the direction of your hair growth. The follicles are under the skin and a shave isn't going to "rearrange" them. BTW, welcome to TSD.

4. HarryK2000

HarryK2000 New Member

I'm not sure, I just used one of those electric shavers that require you to shave with a circular motion. I've just noticed my hair is growing in the same direction I was circulating the shaver around.

5. Matt0210

Matt0210 Well-Known Member

The direction your beard grows is set in stone, its a genetic thing. Probably since youve never had to pay attention to which direction its grown you've never noticed it. And welcome to TSD

Primotenore and Demidog like this.
  6. HarryK2000

HarryK2000 New Member

wait so one side of my face will grow backwards and the other forwards for the rest of my life??!?!? surely theres a way to fix this...

Primotenore likes this.
  7. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

My hair also grows in different directions, and those patterns have never changed since when I started wetshaving (early eighties). I have just gotten used to doing a mixed first pass; downwards on 70% of my face and neck, upwards on 20%, and sideways on 10%.

Primotenore likes this.
  8. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Sorry mister. The top half of my neck grows down, and the bottom half grows straight up flat. My cheeks closer to my mouth grow straight down, and closer to my sideburns it grows at a forty five degree angle down and back. Then add in a couple of one inch swirls on each side of my throat. Figuring out a close and comfortable shave was an adventure for me, let me tell you. You'll get there.

Welcome to the Den from MN.

9. MarshalArtist

MarshalArtist Psychiatric Help 5¢

I'm afraid there is no changing genetics. Learn to love the "you" that you are! Plus, you're only 16 so your facial hair isn't finished coming in. You may notice changes as you get into your mid 20s. Then, what you see is what you get.

10. Matt0210

Matt0210 Well-Known Member

No. The way it grows is the way it will ALWAYS grow. Forever. It's actually pretty common. My facial hair on the left side of my face grows down til my neck then it grows sideways towards my ear. On the right side of my face til my neck it grows sideways toward my ear then up from my jawbone down. Frustating i know. Its right up there w/ premature baldness. When i started losing hair on my head I felt the same thing, that there "surely is a way to fix this" lol but you cant fight genetics. Learn to live with it

11. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Hi @HarryK2000 . Welcome. What you're reading is all truth. You can't change genetics.

Stick around and don't be afraid to ask questions. We're here to help!

Last edited: Nov 27, 2016
    PickledNorthern and Matt0210 like this.
  12. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Sorry @HarryK2000 that would be up to a higher power...not us mere mortal shavers. :)

PickledNorthern and Matt0210 like this.
  13. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Hi &Welcome. The guys here have it right. You can no more change the direction of facial hair growth that you can change your eye color. Accepting that and being aware of its direction will help you get a better shave.