Handle Shape

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by HUF, Oct 23, 2014.

1. HUF

HUF Active Member

I find flat razor handles more comfortable. Vintage injectors, nowadays disposables like BIC are not just more comfortable, bur they also provide a better grip and discrete positioning for the head, IMHO. It is not easy to make a flat handle for a three-piece razor since you do not know how the flat surface of the handle will be positioned after the blade is secured. On the other hand, it is very easy to manufacture TTOs with flat handle because the handle is fixed to the head. For example, some of English Gillette TTOs came with somewhat flat plastic handle.

Anybody else thinks round handles are not very comfortable?

2. Adonis

Adonis Well-Known Member

I do like the flat handles of my Schick and my Pal. They are pretty comfortable. But with my larger hands, I tend to find the round, knurled type handles are the surest grip for me.

3. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I can't imagine a Schick with a round handle. Their handles just make the razor more maneuverable. I made a handle that slips over a round handle of my English NEW. So, after tightening the head, I can adjust the handle so it lines up right.
    dicollete_lc_handle5.jpg dicollete_lc_handle.jpg

Slipperyjoe and Boojum1 like this.
  4. HUF

HUF Active Member

Jayaruh,
    You understood what I meant. Nice handle, by the way. I am thinking of adapting a handle for a screwdriver, nutdriver, etc. to one of my three-piece razors. I may consider spending some money and placing an order for a handle of my design with a machine shop.

My recently purchased Schick Krona has bumps on its handle. It is so annoying the pattern of those bumps does not line up with the head!

Last edited: Oct 23, 2014
    Jayaruh likes this.
  5. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    @HUF Keep us posted. I would like to see your results.
    Show me your Schick Krona. I have not been successful in getting one. Besides annoying bumps, how do you like it?

6. HUF

HUF Active Member

This is not my Krona, but looks identical. See those rows of bumps? It is only comfortable to hold the razor (at least for myself) when those bumps are aligned in certain way (certain rotational angle of the handle with respect to the head). As for shaving with Krona, it is way too early to say.

Attached Files:

7. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    dicollete_lc_handl4.jpg
    Here you can see that the handle is wider in one dimension than the other.

8. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    upload_2014-10-23_15-33-11.png
    You must have a very sensitive touch.

SRNewb likes this.
  9. HUF

HUF Active Member

Yes, I am notorious for paying attention to things most of people would not even notice. :)

10. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

Nothing personal, but IMHO it kinda looks like a banana with a razor stuffed in the end. Guess I'm too much of a traditionalist.

Not to hijack the thread, but how does that English New compare to the American version? Head looks slightly different.

11. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    I think it looks like a wiener. It is a Dicolette, so the handle is very small. I am using my Utopia handle with it now which works very well. I call it my NEWtopia. My American NEW is a short comb, and the English NEW is a long comb. I really like them both. DSCF7096.JPG
    DSCF7097.JPG
    NEWtopia.jpg dicollete_lc.jpg
    dicollete_lc0.jpg

Last edited: Oct 24, 2014
    Tattoobob and Boojum1 like this.
  12. Jasman

Jasman Well-Known Member

Gillette 1903's and Merkur 1904/1906's both use a hexagonal handle instead of a round (or oval) one. You may find them more comfortable, and the Merkur (at least) is widely and cheaply available.

13. HUF

HUF Active Member

I am considering a hex. It may or may not line up properly with the head though. A right washer may be needed.