Hardright Brush Conservation

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by jimjo1031, Apr 19, 2017.

1. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

This brush was sent to me by @Drygulch in the hope that it could be kept from degrading any further. He didn't want it restored in the sense of having it like new, but have it kept the way it is with an addition of a new knot. The brush is about 100 years old, and as he mentioned to me, it was painted with lead paint. I could also tell that at one time, it was kept or stored near a source of high heat, as the ferrule was slightly warped at it's base and a little bubbling of the paint, also near the bottom of the ferrule. Also he wanted what ever patina there was on the handle, and there was a good amount, kept there.

Picture of the brush as sent to me........
    HRC 1.jpg

After cleaning with dish soap and toothbrush......
    HRC 1a.jpg

Knot removed, ferrule off the handle and left over bottom of knot to trim and use as a spacer for new knot...... HRC 1b.jpg

Removed soap scum from the lettering on the ferrule with sewing needle. New black paint and clear coat for extra protection on letters. Bare wood applied with clear acrylic enamel by paint brush with three coats. The handle had a very high gloss on it, but to make sure the acrylic lacquer I was going to use had a better bond, I lightly and gently used a very fine sanding sponge to remove the glossy finish it had and to not remove any patina, a little hard to see because of glare. Then I applied five coats of acrylic lacquer on the handle and installed the new boar brush.
    HRC 1c.jpg

2. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

Damn that came out nice! :love055:

RaZorBurn123 and jimjo1031 like this.
  3. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

Nice work Jim, your skills in brush restorations are really progressing.

4. jimjo1031

Thank you.

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  5. jimjo1031

Thanks, I guess having an art background and doing models since I was about eight years old helps.

twhite, RaZorBurn123 and Linuxguile like this.
  6. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

So excited to get this one back. This brush was actually stored in a steamer trunk in a garage in Phoenix, AZ for a very long time. It belonged too my Great, Great, Grandfather, H.M. Strough. He passed away in 1938, and his shaving gear was packed into a trunk and stayed their until last year. I found an article on him online, with information under the "Changing Fortunes" header- http://www.historicphoenix.com/hist...strict/history-cheery-lynn-historic-district/

I also have a straight, a hone, and a strop that were stored with this. All that is left to be restored now is the strop. I need to find a leatherworker to do it.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2017
  7. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

That is sooooo cool. Enjoy your heritage shaves!

8. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

By the way, Jim, this thing looks fantastic!

9. jimjo1031

Thank you.

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  10. TitanTTB

TitanTTB Well-Known Member

Great work!
    Turned out nice & I like the conservation approach vs full-on restore.

11. jimjo1031

Thank you.

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  12. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    You did really fine work on that brush. It sounds like you hit all the points on this one. It looks great. As I was reading the requirements, I was thinking my head what I would do. We must think alike. Good job. :happy088:

13. jimjo1031

Thanks Jim.

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  14. jimjo1031

I found this thread at straitrazorplace.com . I don't know how much restoring the strop needs, but if it isn't too bad and only needs reconditioning, this might work. I have seen other threads that also recommend this technique.......
    http://straightrazorplace.com/strops/46316-lathering-strop.html

15. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

Thank you. That comment on restoring a strop was more of a joke. I do leatherwork, and make and sell strops. Its more a matter of just making time to get to the bench to work on it.

jimjo1031 likes this.
  16. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Fantastic! Jim, you have a magic touch.

jimjo1031 likes this.
  17. jimjo1031

Honestly, I was wondering about that.

18. jimjo1031

Thank you.

RaZorBurn123 likes this.