Harry's Razors - Great Price, Poor Shave.

Discussion in 'Cartridge Razors' started by Charlton Heston, Nov 3, 2016.

1. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

You're doing it wrong. Backyard.

battle.munky and Billyfergie like this.
  2. Stu929

Stu929 Well-Known Member

My most recent convert was a big Harrys supporter. He was a little curious at first, I told him he could borrow anything I had but I set him up with a SS and an eary Aristocrat. I think tried the crat first and got bit and was on the fence. He returnes the crat and heard he was on the fence and while the performance was nice it wasn't so much better than harrys but the novelty of it was interesting. I asked him to stick with it but wasn't pushy and talked to him a week or 2 later and he said "wow, I new this was close and comfortable but when I went back to Harrys I was surprised at how bad it felt. It got the job done and was close but it wasn't comfortable at all, and I'm never going back!"

[​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Last edited: Aug 20, 2017
    dustmite likes this.
  3. ColtJustice

ColtJustice Well-Known Member

As far as cartridge razors go, I like Harry's. I can get that BBS shave with less irritation than most other cartridge blades, and they're cheaper. But I just prefer a DE now.

BigMark83 likes this.
  4. Hoss304

Hoss304 Well-Known Member

I just got my 5$ starter pack . I found it a weird angle to use. It took me a few to get the hang of it without scraping my face off. I got the foam and aftershave balm too. Must say the balm is kick ass. As for the razor it's another one swipe UNCLOG cart . I won't be subscribing . I might pick up a big bottle of the balm at Target though!

ColtJustice likes this.
  5. Badgerstate

Badgerstate Well-Known Member

I recently started using Harry's and I get great shaves with them. Close, smooth, comfortable and every bit as close as any DE with fewer passes. YMMV.

EnglishChannel likes this.
  6. Badgerstate

Thats my only gripe with Harry's. The blades are pretty close together and I find that it plugs up if you try to do any more than 1 swipe with it. If you look at a Gillette and then look at a Harry's, you can see how much closer together the blades are.
    To me, its not a big deal but it can be annoying.

EnglishChannel likes this.
  7. subvet

subvet Well-Known Member

Well my curiosity got the better of me so I sent for their "free" $3.00 trial kit. My razor has been sitting in Sparks, NV since the 25th in the hands of what is probably America's worst shipping company, all they are supposed to do is hand it over to the USPS! When I inquired about the delay I was told in essence that that is the way Harry's treats "free" deliveries, I assume that means the free delivery subscription carts as well. So we have a company that offers a "free" trial kit in order to get new customers then does what it can to discourage the potential customers, amazing! I've pretty much lost interest at this point and since I will not do business with them again I'll probably toss the razor in a drawer until such time as I get curious again.

Linuxguile likes this.
  8. Badgerstate

I found there shipping to be pretty bad too. I bought an 8-blade pack from them and it took almost 2 weeks for it to arrive. For the 10 cents I saved, I could have just driven the 5 minutes to Target and bought 2 4-blade packs.

9. subvet

subvet Well-Known Member

I did email them and got responses that lead me to believe they don't care about delivery schedules, customer satisfaction or adding new customers. I intend to honor that last item. If anyone is interested in giving Harry's a try I strongly urge that any purchases be made from Target rather than the Harry's website.

Badgerstate likes this.
  10. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

The performance of Harry's vis à vis ingrown hair is why I am a daily shavette user now.

11. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Chris, have you thought about revisiting Harry's now that you have a solid technique? That might be a cool scientific experiment. If it wasn't for science, I wouldn't love Arko and Voskies or get seven smooth shaves out of a DE blade. You know, Harry might not be as dirty as he used to be. ;)

12. Badgerstate

Agree. If I had stuck with carts, I would have made all my Harry's purchases at Target in the future. The price difference from Target to online from Harry's isnt very much, certainly not worth the hassle of having it takes 1.5 weeks to ship blades from California to Ohio.

13. Hoss304

I got the trial too. It arrived quickly but I agree on the poor shave. It's the angle of the blades . You almost shave flat if that makes sense. I wasn't impressed at all . I went back to DSC but have since cancelled . I can buy disposables that do better for head shaves.

Sent from my LGLS755 using Tapatalk

14. Hoss304

If you are looking for a good deal on carts check out Dorco USA. You will see some famous DSC carts for cheaper . It's not a subscription but you get better deals.

15. Badgerstate

My issue with Harrys was the blade spacing. I found if you didn't rinse the razor after every swipe, it would plug up with cream and stop cutting.

16. Hoss304

I did a order with Dorco. Im not saying they're the best but this was all 25$ .. they even have a ladies line. My gal uses a Venus. I got her those to try [​IMG]

17. Hoss304

The Pace 6 is the Executive in the DSC line .

18. subvet

subvet Well-Known Member

I had the same problem with the Dorco Pace 6, there really is a practical limit to the number of blades in a cart.

19. Badgerstate

Agree. I tried the Barbasol Ultra 6. Same thing as the Pace 6. Theres a limit not only to how many blades you need but how many blades are practical.

20. Hoss304

I get the best shave with two blades . I don't know why. I've tried dozens of DE, every cart there is and most disposables . Just seems like a two blade is best for my face . I shaved one time with the big 6 blade from DSC . Never again. I had razor burn awful. I'll use it for head shaves. I think I could shave my head with a sharp rock and get no irritation. My face is super sensitive.