Has anybody got the SV strop ?

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Olie29, Dec 16, 2017.

1. Olie29

Olie29 Well-Known Member

has anybody got the SV strop and if so what are you opinions on it. Also if anybody has any suggestions on what high quality strops are available please feel free to chime in
    Thanks

Keithmax and Billyfergie like this.
  2. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Please forgive my ignorance, but what is an “SV strop”?
    I’m also interested in hearing any recommendations on high end strops.

Billyfergie, DaltonGang and Olie29 like this.
  3. Olie29

Olie29 Well-Known Member

@Spyder Saponificio Varesino I don’t think they a massively expensive, I like the brush I have from them but it’s like with anything I suppose you can’t be good at everything...they do look like decent quality leather but I have zero experience in this field

Billyfergie and Spyder like this.
  4. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

I thought they just made soaps. Any pics, or links?

Billyfergie, Spyder and Olie29 like this.
  5. Olie29

Olie29 Well-Known Member

Billyfergie, Spyder and DaltonGang like this.
  6. DaltonGang

Billyfergie, Spyder and Olie29 like this.
  7. Olie29

Olie29 Well-Known Member

I agree it’s purely for aesthetic reasons I would pay more but having said that sometimes you pay more for something and the quality is worse than an inexpensive version, so I just wondered if anyone had any experience with them

Billyfergie, DaltonGang and Spyder like this.
  8. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

I would say that if it flips your minnow, go for it. I would just personally make sure I had explored all my options before I bought something that high end. Lots of options out there for nice strops.

9. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

I wouldn’t recommend one of those for a first strop. Many new Straight users cut their strops. I would recommend a cheaper strop until you’re positive you won’t turn your $200 strop into shoe laces:)

JohnDB, Keithmax, Olie29 and 2 others like this.
  10. DaltonGang

I cannot agree more.

11. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Can I amend my prior answer? I did not know this was a first strop. I would hold off, personally.

DaltonGang and Olie29 like this.
  12. Olie29

Olie29 Well-Known Member

Thanks any recommendations would be appreciated for something high end

13. Olie29

Olie29 Well-Known Member

Yeh thanks I will take your advice there...I have seen other posts where people have advised new starter the same, I was gonna say I might just buy a nice high end to put away so I’ve got it and then buy something inexpensive to practice on in the meantime

14. Olie29

Olie29 Well-Known Member

Seen your amended post and reply to @Spyder about the same thing, if you have any recommendations for both a high end and a starter that would be really helpful...want to really explore my options before splashing the cash

15. DaltonGang

Illinois strops. 127 smooth leather, or 627 Russian rough leather.

16. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Adam aka @Drygulch has some handmade strops that will meet your needs. He’ll most likely chime in here shortly. You can check out Drygulch leather on Etsy

17. TestDepth

TestDepth Well-Known Member

Tony Miller can possibly provide both options... http://shop.thewellshavedgentleman.com
    His “vanilla” or “chocolate” options are very nice quality strops and his Heirloom strops are more on the higher end. I have used and enjoy both.
    It also looks like he has a limited edition coming out Monday... and by limited I mean 8.
    Tom

18. Olie29

Olie29 Well-Known Member

What’s the difference in the rough and the smooth is the rough an alternative to fabric

Billyfergie and Spyder like this.
  19. Olie29

Olie29 Well-Known Member

@Spyder Thank you will check this out

TestDepth and Spyder like this.
  20. Olie29

Olie29 Well-Known Member

I few options for me to have a look at here, I be having a good read. Thank You !

Spyder and TestDepth like this.