Has Anyone Here Ever Used HeadSlick With A Brush?

Discussion in 'Shave Creams' started by MadCapsule, Oct 17, 2009.

1. MadCapsule

MadCapsule Member

I'm just getting into DE safety razors and I have a bottle of HeadSlick shaving cream that is just lasting forever. I'd like to use it all up before I try a more traditional shaving cream.

I suspect it'll do fine with a brush since it lathers up quite nicely with just my fingertips when I have a bit of stubble, but I was wondering if anyone here has any firsthand experience with using it in combination with a brush.

2. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

Not having tried the headslick, I'm curious also. If it works well with a brush, I might pick some up.

3. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    From my own personal experience, yes, Headslick works well with a brush.

Nice menthol feel, too, Erik.

4. MadCapsule

MadCapsule Member

Good to know!

This stuff just lasts forever. I've literally had the same bottle for about 2 years now. Of course, I wasn't using a three pass shave and lather process when I first bought it, nor was I shaving as often back then. And then I stopped shaving for a while...but a little bit does seem to go a long way. A dime-sized dollop, plus whatever gets pushed out of the cap when I shut it, is about all I need to lather my face once with just my fingers.

Also, I can't remember if it had a scent when I first bought it, but it doesn't smell like anything now.

5. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

Not going to last that long using that much! Really true if your noggin is as big as mine.

6. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

:eek: You shave your head!?

7. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    :rolleyes:

It's shaving cream. And if I abided by the labels on most the products around here, I wouldn't be shaving at all. :rolleyes:

8. CSBudzi

CSBudzi Member

I've used head slick once. Worked fine without the brush. There are a few products out there that don't need a brush, and thats ok. Not as fun though. If you like headslick you don't have to use a brush the fact that you are using a a DE is fine enough. I'll still call you a wetshaver. But once you try soaps and creams like Mitchells Wool Fat and such you'll realize this conversation was kinda silly, because you should just put the headslick away and get some soaps and creams. I bet you'll never go back once you try the goodstuff. It might be advantageous to keep the headslick in the back of the medicine cabinet for the I"M LATE FOR WORK! mornings since it's not terrible stuff.
    C. S. Budzi

9. MadCapsule

MadCapsule Member

Ha! Oops! I meant "dime-sized".

Editing now.

10. MadCapsule

MadCapsule Member

Just a quick update: I picked up a cheap Surrey boar hair brush at Walgreens today (hey, I'm on a budget) and I was anxious to see how the HeadSlick would perform with a brush, even though I didn't need to shave.

So I soaked the brush in an oversized coffee mug filled with hot water for a while. I remembered reading somewhere that boar hair doesn't retain water as well a badger brush will, so I didn't make much of an effort to get any water out of it when it was time to drain the mug. That turned out to be way too much water. The HeadSlick cream started to lather up at first, but it was still too drippy. And then it just sort of disappeared as I was swirling and pumping the brush in it. Very strange.

I figured that this was good practice, so I decided to give it another go. I rinsed out the mug and the brush and gave it a good shake. I then put some more cream in the mug and again started swirling and pumping (get your mind outta the gutter!) with the brush. Lo and behold! A heavenly mound of soft luxurious cream started to form in the mug! It was like a cross between Cool Whip and a cloud. And the smell! The stirring action really brought out a menthol smell in the cream that I don't recall smelling before, which brought a big, toothy grin to my face.

Well, I didn't need to shave, so I decided to just start applying this frothy goodness to my hand to get a feel for the bristles of the brush and for the cream as well. Granted, my hand is not my face, but it didn't feel like it was going to be too scratchy or anything and the cream, well that is just going to be a little bit of heaven on my face.

So with HeadSlick, I think the trick is to not use much water, because it's already a bit watery on its own.

Now, I'm sure the traditional soaps and creams are even better than this, but it seems like a good option to have if you find yourself in a situation where you need something to shave with, as HeadSlick is widely available at places like Walgreens and CVS.

11. geneaut

geneaut Member

I find it is delightful to make a 50/50 mix of Head Slick and Kiss My Face Mint cream. The lather is great, and the minty menthol feel on your face is superb.

Got a great shave from it last night.

12. JBSharp

JBSharp Well-Known Member

Was about start a whole new topic, but I'm instead waking up this dead thread, half full of MIA members. I just wanted to share with guys who look for a low-cost, easy-to-use cream. My Head Slick experience is nearly identical to that of MadCapsule above. I usually use soap and a brush, but I'll try just about anything. I don't head-shave, but I tried this because it was cheap and I wanted to know what's on shelves close to home. It's designed as a no-brush, apply-by-hand cream; as such, for me, it's tolerable. It's slick enough, and the menthol kick is there but not very strong. I didn't think to try a brush, because I'd had poor results the last time I tried that with a no-brush cream. (I figured they're "no brush" for a reason!) Frankly, I was just trying to use it up and move on.

About halfway through the bottle, I finally tried it with a brush. Worked it out to a damp brush and a small dollop of cream, and wow. I dropped the cream in a bowl, lightly worked it into the tip of my brush, and face lathered. I got a nice but not voluminous lather which spread well, and agitating it with the brush really woke up the menthol. It's still not over-powering, but noticeably stronger.

Working it with a brush changed it from a product I could tolerate to one which I really like. Maybe still not a favorite, but definitely something good.

Short form review: Head Slick: Damp brush, small dollop of cream, face lather for a slick lather with a nice menthol kick. Would shave again.

Karl G and Robyflexx like this.