Have you tried ZAE Stainless Steel double edge blade made from Japan

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by SpeedyPC, Mar 29, 2018.

1. SpeedyPC

SpeedyPC Well-Known Member

G'day Den,

Have you tried ZAE Stainless Steel double edge blade made from Japan? https://www.zaeblades.com/

I'm interested in your feedback review about this blade made from Japan.

[​IMG]

Keithmax and RyX like this.
  2. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Florida company, Chinese blades, only review I've seen is terrible.[​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Keithmax and RyX like this.
  3. RyX

RyX DoH!

(Watching thread!)

The price seems almost too good. I wonder how much was the shipping charge.

I enjoy Feather Hi-Stainless and recently tried Kai DE blades. Japanese steel can be a good thing, but China ≠ Japan.

Demidog likes this.
  4. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Haha. Here is the manufacturer.

http://m.everychina.com/buy/c-z140f843/p-43852385-razor-blade.html

I sent a message to Tryablade.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2018
    RyX likes this.
  5. RyX

RyX DoH!

Neal @NCoxSTL may know about these. He's my Go-To opinion guy when it comes to DE blades.

NCoxSTL likes this.
  6. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

I have a couple of these in my stash but have never gotten around to using one. Everything I have found on their origin shows Japanese manufacture, but a lot of Chinese sites seem to offer them. Reviews are universally bad for this blade. I think there's a possibility they are made for sale in China, which may explain the lack of quality that seems to be talked about. However, I'll dig in a little deeper. And, once my move is over I'll dig one out and give it a full review.

Edit as my brain just kicked in a thought: They are manufactured by ZAE in Japan - possibly a Chinese company manufacturing in Japan? I needed a good research project. The truth will be found!

AGHisBBS, Keithmax, RyX and 1 other person like this.
  7. SpeedyPC

SpeedyPC Well-Known Member

Keithmax likes this.
  8. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

What about what I posted wasn't clear?:

1. Zae Blades is a Florida LLC, not Chinese, not Japanese. Garcia, Rodriguez, Calero...these are clues.
    2. The blades were shipped to Zae in Miami from China.
    3. The Chinese manufacturer as listed on the shipment is Zhejiang Tianwei Machinery Co.,Limited. If you go to the provided linky above you will find they make razor blades. In China, which is not Japan.

Zae is affiliated with Shapu Blades LLC. They have the same Florida address, same Mr. Garcia. They also sell razor blades, manufactured in China by the same company (Zhejiang Tianwei Machinery Co.,Limited) which maintains a Japanese distribution facility. See below. Especially the part that says "Double Edge Razor Blades Made in China". This is another clue. You can buy those blades for $8.99/100.

Both Zae and Shapu blades are marketed to US and Latin American barbers, not Chinese, I have no idea where you got that from.

Pray tell what among "everything you've found" suggests Japanese manufacture other then the obvious error on the Tryablade site? Don't you think a big fat Made in Japan would appear on a Japanese blade or its packaging? A Chinese company is going to manufacture blades in Japan and then sell them to American barbers for $3.99/100 (15,% of Kai/Feathers)? What are you smoking pal?

Do let us know how you like the blade.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

SpeedyPC, Jim99 and Keithmax like this.
  9. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

I suspect a bit of confirmation bias operating in Ken's BS YouTube review posted today. I wonder what his rating would have been if he had known going in that they were Chinese. Or maybe not. Still, better than Titan, that's something. I have nothing against Chinese blades, I still use my $4/100 Tian Li.

10. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

The ZAE website doesn’t say where they are manufactured I do not see anything written on the packaging that gives its manufacturer if origins. Why do people think this blade is from Japan?

:signs002:

11. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Tryablade lists it that way. Why I don't know, they have not responded to my message.

12. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

The key factor to me is not where they’re made, but how they shave. By all reviews, they are either adequate at best or they suck.

I think I’ll stay away from ZAE until I see some positive reviews.

Shadow Shaver likes this.
  13. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Yep. Further, $8 delivered is cheap but not cheap enough to take a chance on a blade with at this point no very good reviews. I have Astra SS in my ebay cart at $9/100 which I'd rather pull the trigger on should I get the urge to splurge.

Jim99 likes this.
  14. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

I agree. I’ll spend a couple of bucks extra for a blade that gets solid reviews over one that gets mediocre reviews any day.

15. Sabre

Sabre Well-Known Member

Now $3.99 :)

16. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

That's what they were. Plus delivery. I just paid less ($7.55/100) for Astra SS which are actually good blades.

AGHisBBS likes this.
  17. oldjoe

oldjoe Well-Known Member

Country of origin argument aside, I bought 200 just to try. Why, you ask because it is fun to try new stuff. I learned of the blades from this site. And the price was $3.99 per 100 with shipping extra, of course. I found the blades to be very sonorous/loud and also plenty sharp enough. In fact shaper than many others! Not the smoothest blade for me, but I generally judge blades I like by the fact that they produce a very close shave with no worry of weepers or cuts and bleeding and that feeling that I just shaved with a dull lawn mower. I'm not crazy about a red face from the sting of aftershave! And, these blades---for me--- did just that--no sting--no problems at all. Do I like them----yes! But I have only used one of these blades so far and I usually only get 2 or 3 shaves out of any blade. For me this blade was much more comfortable to use than a Feather stainless blade and also smoother feeling. I never understood the macho ohhh so sharp attitude when sharp enough is what counts with every cutting tool? So, would I buy them again? Yes, especially for the price. Chinese vs Japanese vs German vs Turkish? Really, that worries someone, when if we don't blow the planet up over greed and money, all trade seems to be spreading out to a heck of a lot more countries these days and I think that is a good thing? Others seem to want a piece of the pie? It would be wonderful if the playing field was level but that isn't going to happen any time soon!

18. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Keep us posted on shaves 2-3.

I'm pretty happy with my $7.55/100 Astra but always up for something new. Of course place of manufacture means nothing, misrepresentation does.

Try a Blade never did get back to me.

19. oldjoe

oldjoe Well-Known Member

Second shave same as the first but smoother. 3rd shave OK, as smooth but a little more effort to get the same results so I retired the blade and moved on to a new ZAE blade once again this morning. Still impressed. I like the blade! All this is IMHO of course and my opinion is based on my shaving technique and skin. I have said in the past that I really like Treet Black Beauty blades but I only use them for one shave. I would compare the ZAE to a stainless Black beauty that allows 3 shave for me. That's one shave vs 3 shaves. Expense for the blade is an insignificant consideration to me so long as the price is less than $1.00 per blade? If it's more than that I think I would go back to using a 2 blade Gillette or some other cartridge razor? Anything more than 2 blades and ingrown hairs come to the fore! An interesting shaving fact for me is that this morning I went back to using a little Noxema for a pre shave application. Good enough for sure but I have found, for me of course, that nothing, absolutely nothing is better than a little Cremo used as a pre shave before lathering with anything! Cremo is unbelievably SLICK!!! Makes any shaving soap or bar soap useable----for me! If this is heresy----so be it! Try, experiment, and when satisfied----USE!