Having brain surgery on December 9th

Discussion in 'Head shaving' started by brainsurgerypatient, Nov 22, 2010.

1. Good Luck with your surgery and all the best, i know things will go right for you.
    God Bless
    Willy and Samantha

2. Regan

Regan Well-Known Member

Best wishes to a successful surgery.

3. Issy

Issy TheMadSoaper

have you looked into a gama knife for this? no cutting

Issy

4. gglass

gglass New Member

Wow, all the very best wishes for your surgery, my thoughts are with you and your family at this tough time.

I use Headblade to shave my head and it works extremely well, although as others have said on here, any decent cartridge razor will do the trick, just try and maintain the "cutting" angle. Trim your hair down with clippers and wet the remaining hair for at least 3 minutes before applying a good gel and then shave in short strokes.

Hope this helps

kindest regards and all the very best for a speedy recovery.

Graham

5. brainsurgerypatient

brainsurgerypatient New Member

Thank you all for the well wishes, prayers and advice. The surgery I'm having is called awake craniotomy. I will be awake for part of the surgery because my epileptic foci/center is located near where my speech and some of motor skills are. Basically the surgeons want to fix that part without doing minimal or no damage to my brain. Being awake during that part will give them insight to make sure things are done safely without damaging my brain. Nurses and therapists will be asking me questions during that time. The surgery will try to remove the foci part which may decrease seizures for me.

I'm checking into the hospital on the 8th so we are thinking about doing the shaving on the 6th or 7th. Right now my hair is about shoulder length. I have an appointment with my hairdresser and Monday to cut my hair shorter. My husband has experience cutting with clippers because he worked as a firefighter several years ago and during that time he had his hair short and he also used to cut coworkers' hair. He never did a head shave. We are thinking of cuttting and shaving each other's heads or possibly having a friend do both for us.

I love advice about hats. I will likely be spending 2-3 days post surgery in the hospital. They have said the bandage turban will probably be changed each day at the hospital and I will probably have gauze pads over the surgery area when I come home. I won't be outside much for the first couple of weeks after surgery. My husband and I live don't have any relatives in the area so we won't be traveling for Christmas but friends will be over. I'm also thinking about buying a wig before surgery.