Head Shaving with DE? Anyone doing it?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by swimman, Dec 15, 2010.

1. swimman

swimman New Member

Just ordered my first DE razor - EJ89L and should have it later this week. I'm excited to come over to the dark side - or is it the clean shaven side?

My real question is, is anyone using a DE to shave their head? I've been using a Fusion for some time now and it works very well with the pivoting head. I usually can shave my head in a matter of minutes (I know with a DE the process is slower and I accept that!) with one pass (rarely do two or more passes as vanity is not a huge concern!). As the 89L does not pivot and from the research I have done, the blade has to be held at a constant angle. If I do decide to shave my head with it, it will be a learning process as it was originally with the multi-blade cartridges. So, is anyone doing this or have advice? I'm not against using the 89L for my face and using the Fusion or something similar for my head but want to see if anyone has opinions who is more experienced.

Thanks in advance.

2. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Welcome to TSD! This is the best wet shave board on the planet!

There are a few DE head shavers around here. There are also some SE head shaver and straight head shavers too!

3. nelson76

nelson76 New Member

Hey how's it going,welcome to the world of wetshaving, You'll love it compared to cartridges,I just started in October and I've been shaving my head for about 8yrs before a DE I was using an M3 and canned goop. When I started using a DE on my face I also started using one on my head. I don't use the same one on my head as I do on my face, My first headshave with a DE didn't come out as good as my first face shave,tons of nicks, Everything's been going much smoother now though since I've been using an open comb ball end tech on my head,It works for me,Nowhere near as quick as a cartridge but much smoother. Good luck

4. cooncatbob

cooncatbob Member

I've been shaving my head for 8 years, the last 3 exclusively with a DE.
    Before that I was using the DE on my face and a cartridge razor on my head.
    I came to feel that it was silly to use 2 different shaving system and started to use the DE on my head too.
    If your already comfortable shaving your face with a DE there not much of a learning curve.
    Most DEs work fine on the head, I like Long Comb NEWs and the long handle Super Adjustable.

5. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

I've only shaved my head for about 9 months, but I do it with a DE. The first few times I used a Mach 3, but found it clogged up too fast for my taste. I do 1 or 2 passes, with 2 most days as I really like the feel of a perfectly smooth head and need a second pass to get BBS (except on top where MPB has made the hair extra easy to shave).

I'd say get comfortable shaving your face before trying the DE on your head. When you shave your head, you need to do part of it blind (can't see the back of your head) and that takes a good feel for the razor. That said, once you have a good feel for a razor, making the transition to head shaving with it is fairly easy.

6. swimman

swimman New Member

Thanks for the information. I'll report back once I'm up and running. Who would have thought I would get excited about shaving?

7. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

Just about everyone here :D.

8. JoeMal

JoeMal Member

Ahhh...true spoken words we have all experienced ourselves. Give it a few weeks and you'll wonder how you ever did it any other way...;)

9. helowrench

helowrench Member

I run a Gillette adjustable, with the Wilkinson Sword blades ($2/10 at Wally World) and The Body Shop For Men Shave cream. Face + head - goatee every other day at a minimum.
    I found that agressive blades made me feel like I was shaving with a brick.

the Swords are more to my liking. use one a week.

2 passes does me fine.

Rob

10. Smoothy

Smoothy Well-Known Member

You mean, you've seen the light and you're coming over FROM the dark side..;)

Welcome to the Den! Have fun browsing around and enjoy those shaves, head and face and all.
    Fantastic choice for a first DE razor, by the way.:happy088

11. leblanc

leblanc New Member

I used to bounce back and forth between clippers and a cartridge razor for head shaving. Once I began using a DE, I never looked back.
    Razor clogging does not occur with the DE. There have been times when I didn't get around to shaving my head for 8 days, and I was still able to mow through the growth with a DE (with multiple passes of course).

12. newb

newb Resident Newb

I head shave about 5 days a week with a de. I've found that since I started head shaving, my face shaving has greatly improved. For me a DE gives the smoothest irritation free BBS head shave. BBS is now the standard and not the goal.

13. Jaymo

Jaymo Active Member

I've shaved my head with SE, DE, Injector, and cartridge razors. I like the SE, DE, and Injector the best. Cartridge blades clog too quickly.
    Last night I shaved my face and head with my Merkur 37G slant. I've used my Edwin Jagger DE87, Neillite 400, Gillette Adjustables, Gillette Super Speeds, and quite a few others, but the Merkur slant really does it quickly. For single edge razors, I like the Gem 1912/Junior for head and face shaving.