hearing alot about birthyear razors?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by ghost68, Mar 27, 2008.

1. ghost68

ghost68 New Member

I've read a lot about people looking for their birthyear razor. One of the reasons that I started DE shaving is to pass it along to my son (who is 9 months, I have many years of practicing). I would like to get a good quality one to keep for him (possibly get engraved). Is Merkur the only real quality manufacturer right now? Would it be a save bet that if I bought one now from them that it would have been made in 2007? If I do get one, which one do I get?

As always your thoughts are apprechiated.

Ghost68

2. Michael

Michael Duke of Kent

Merkur is the only contemporary razor I own, but I'm not sure what others are out there, other than Parker and I don't know anything about them. Many of the shaving retailers sell their own branded razors, but many, if not most of them seem to use the Merkur HD head (if they're not Merkur's, they certainly look identical). One example of this is the Edwin Jagger line.They are available in a variety of handle shapes, sizes and materials.

As for engraving, keep in mind that the chrome and gold razors are plated. I wonder if engraving would be an option short of a custom job from the factory where they could engrave first and then plate. You might check with Bridget Jagger at EJ and see what options they could offer. enquiries@theenglishshavingcompany.com

One other thing to consider, if you haven't already, is to find a razor from YOUR birth year as well. Pass them both along to your son.

Good luck.

Edit...

Hmm, I just realized that, if you have them build you a custom now, it won't be an '07 will it? :o I'd still check with Bridget...