Heavy or Light

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by KenH, Mar 15, 2018.

1. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

I've lived and shaved long enough to know, when to keep my mouth shut.

At one point, i thought heavy was the way to go. Then one of my favorites came along (grand shave king). Blew my theory . Then above the tie calypso (very light). Both offer me perfect shaves. And they both prolly weigh as much as my ikon 101. So I'll wholeheartedly say, "I don't know".
    It must be possible to like both, I do.

Keithmax, TobyC, Enrico and 1 other person like this.
  2. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

My Barbasol weighs 88g. My Shake Sharp weighs 44g. Case was closed for me a long time ago. Don't pay weight no never mind.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Last edited: Mar 15, 2018
    Keithmax and TobyC like this.
  3. RyX

RyX DoH!

That's the theme in The 30 Day Rule / Focus Group. Once you develop an acceptable technique it helps with the next new set up.

A matter of degrees? For Newbies coming off carts there's an Unlearning to get passed. Those carts generally have flip flop heads that auto adjust angle while the glide strips and bumpers require pressure to get the blades close enough to find beard. It's not about no pressure, but lighter pressure.

It takes all types. Got to use more than one razor to understand you have a preference. Some folks are strictly DE (TTO vs 3 pc) or SE ( Schick or GEM), while others go Dark Side ( straight or shavette). But even in these broad categories there's so much variation. Vintage vs Modern in any category can take years to explore. Welcome to the Wet Shave Renaissance!

Keithmax, KenH, TobyC and 1 other person like this.
  4. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

I started off preferring heavy razors, but lately I have really liked light razors.

Keithmax, Jim99, KenH and 1 other person like this.
  5. targa88

targa88 Well-Known Member

Preferences are obviously personal.
    There are some razors that just don't work for me. Notwithstanding their configuration ( heavy or light or in between).
    Others have been customized (Wolfman SS head with ALU handle).
    For me it all comes down to the applicable angle and not the weight.
    As it applies to an earlier comment. When dome busting: the ability to re-produce a consistent angle is paramount. Something about muscle memory since you can not see the angle.
    In those cases the PAL injectomatic and the GEM MMOC rule. They are equally proficient for the facial whiskers too!

Keithmax, RyX and Jim99 like this.
  6. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I like them all. Technique is king. I can shave with anything. Here is one of my favorite heavy handles. It is a Maggards Fatty with a Maggard Slant head.

Maggard slant_02.JPG

Primotenore, RyX, Jim99 and 1 other person like this.
  7. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

I agree that it's technique that helps with the shave. But for me, a heavier razor is better for me in my technique. Using a lighter razor, which I do, changes my technique some.

Keithmax and Jim99 like this.
  8. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Heavy razor with a short thick handle is my preference. I feel it’s easier to control than a light razor.

KenH and Jim99 like this.
  9. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

I like razors in the middle of the weight range. The Gillette Star series, for example feel too light for good control or a close shave. On the other hand, I tried the Parker Variant and found it too heavy; I got nicks every time I used it. My favorites are the Ming Shih Adjustable and the Gillette Super Adjustable.

Bookworm likes this.
  10. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

I have the timeless .68 oc with 2 handles one short and one long.. personally I think it’s to heavy. Lol my hand/arm gets tired ..