Heavy razor?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by HUF, Jul 16, 2016.

1. HUF

HUF Active Member

I know that most of the members prefer heavy razors so that "the weight of the razor would do the job". I do prefer a mild razor and applying as much pressure as necessary to achieve a BBS without irritation. I find light plastic razors more comfortable. I believe the geometry of the razor and especially the geometry of the handle are more important for comfortable, confident grip and maneuverability. The shape of the handle of vintage injector razors is probably the best. I like to shave (now and then) with a BIC sensitive skin single-blade disposable, which gives an excellent shave despite it is very lightweight.

Spud, gorgo2, macaronus and 1 other person like this.
  2. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Most of this is relative and depends on the user but I find the Fatboy too heavy for regular use. I can't imagine using something heavier, but that's just me.

3. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

Then you should try a Schick Injector (if you hadn't already ;) ). I PIF-ed mine along some years ago because it was too light for my taste, despite the excellent shaves I got.

Also the plastic Gillette Super Click (sometimes found as Gillette 7 O'clock razor) is a good option. It is made in India (If I remember correctly) and they are dirt cheap. Check Ebay. ;)

Spud and twhite like this.
  4. MetalHead88

MetalHead88 Well-Known Member

I also prefer a heavy razor, but sometimes I have trouble going against the grain with a razor that is very heavy.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

5. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    I prefer a razor that weighs between 65 and 75 grams. That's on the heavier side of things when you talk about vintage Gillette razors, but light compared to some of the heavyweight razors out there.

6. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

The lightest (but still effective) DE I've used is the a Silver Star aluminum handle. As light as they come but with one of the grippiest knurlings ever.

7. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
  8. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

I'm in the minority then.

9. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

In the full spectrum of things, I suppose that I tend to prefer heavier than lighter. I do have some fairly light razors that I like to use once in a while.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

10. MattCB

MattCB Well-Known Member

I have leaned toward the heavier razors (Fatboy, Blackbird) but have been using my Gillette Tech a lot recently. I have really been liking the nimbleness of the lighter razor.

11. '65 G-Slim

'65 G-Slim Well-Known Member

I'm really liking my old Schick injectors. I find the heavier razors a bit awkward.

Edit: I might make an exception with the GEM, just for the cool factor.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2016
  12. Lilan

Lilan Active Member

Prefer my ATT, for sure heavier than my others

13. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

I like my Gillette Big Fellow Razors, Barbasol Razor, and Gillette Fat Boy razors. Nicely designed, heavy, and Excellent shaving razors.