Hello all I'm in need of your help

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by gutierrezpaul89, Apr 7, 2017.

1. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

I recommend getting a set from Stirling soap company. They include every single thing you will need. Everything they have is very high quality and doesn't cost much.

I think k the best razor to start with would be a Gillette Fatboy or slim adjustable. They have settings (1-9) that adjust for a mild to medium to aggressive shave. Everything is covered. They look great and will last a lifetime.

Paul Turner likes this.
  2. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

:signs011: I have a '71 Super Adjustable 109 and love it. If I didn't have a NEW Short Comb also, it would probably be my daily driver.

Straight razor dandy likes this.
  3. '65 G-Slim

'65 G-Slim Well-Known Member

Classic good looks, no moving parts, mild yet efficient, and bomb-proof...
    [​IMG]

Jim99 and Straight razor dandy like this.
  4. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

Yup!

5. Straight razor dandy

@gutierrezpaul89 , I sent you a PM

6. George X

George X Well-Known Member

Each person is different and learning a straight is tough. I tend to agree that you should start with a DE. I started with a somewhat mild DE. Once I felt comfortable I bought a little more aggressive eVahs DE and it's my favorite. I know have a good dozen DEs and they each shave differently. I bought a few SEs. For me they are good but I liked the feel of the DEs better. The straights have the hardest learning curve and up until this morning I was only getting meh shaves with the SR and always had to do touch ups with the DE. I am a newb when it comes to shaving with a straight. I started using one back in the fall. Today was a phenomenal SR shave with one that I honed myself.

gutierrezpaul89 likes this.
  7. gutierrezpaul89

gutierrezpaul89 New Member

I will look into it!! Thank you!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. gutierrezpaul89

gutierrezpaul89 New Member

I'm sure I'll cut my self plenty of times with a straight edge lol, I know the basics with it because I use to use one to do people's lines and I wouldn't cut them lol. But I never thought to use it to shave. What does DE stand for i may know but I can't recall right now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Straight razor dandy

DE= double edge

As in...Double edge razor blade.

10. COMPNOR

COMPNOR Well-Known Member

as fellow military, I hear you on the daily shave. I have recently discovered SE razors, a Schick E3 Injector. LOVE IT. It is on my road to straights, but I see straights for me as more of a weekend thing, when I really want to enjoy the shave. So I highly recommend a SE razor, and an injector would be a great start.

George X and Bama Samurai like this.
  11. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Glad you chimed in here!

George X and COMPNOR like this.
  12. Holang-i

Holang-i Member

Im in the middle i shave with shavettes i know im in a minority on here its the got the disposables like de razors but it shaves like similar to a straight smaller blade technique is a little bit different. But the look is very similar and up keep is simple just diapose of the blade. The blades are easy to find and available everywhere there just de razor blades broken in half so a pack of 100 de blades will give you 200 shaves you cant beat that . Of all my shavettes my number one fav is the MD barber supply limited edition golden dragon.

13. Holang-i

Holang-i Member

Glad to see another shavette user besides me lol i used a cheap medium agressive de razor when i first started it cost less then 10 bucks to start came with blades i decided to go shavette rout never looked back lol.

SharptoothC likes this.
  14. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Lots of good advice already, so I'll just say welcome to TSD!

15. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor