Hello folks

Discussion in 'Welcome Center' started by KenH, Mar 14, 2018.

1. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Just a hello to the forums from a newbie in here.

At the tender age of 53, I've finally gone the DE route a month ago and have to say so far I am enjoying the experience. Aside from the lower blade outlay I am staggered by the lack of nicks, cuts and skin burn which tbh just put me off the whole shaving thing.

Cue the change to a DE and all the above have gone and I actually now get up a little earlier just to enjoy a shave at the start of the day.

As people seems to like knowing I bought two razors for "normal" use and a travel (ok, I got attracted to shiny things :) ).
    Merkur Futur
    Muhle R41 head plus Ikon OSS handle
    Merkur 33C as a travel razor.

Brush is silvertip and shaving Cream from Taylor of Old Bond Street.

Did a lot of reading before buying anything plus watched many a vid on technique. Sad really at my age but I've learned that if I don't know it sure helps to learn from them that do.

Started easy with the Futur on 1 only going with the grain and gradually brought in extra passes. Have reached a comfort and awesome shave point with three passes set on 3 for the cheeks and 1.5-2 for complicated bits. Not one cut nor rash with this razor.

The R41 has had a couple of outings and if I'm honest feels about like the Futur on 3 setting. Still learning this razor but loving it

The Merkur likewise has had a couple of outings, its milder but excellent and will do the travel job well.

Bit much for an intro but can't help it as just enjoying the whole DE thing atm as I can shave daily and not get a bloody and red patchy face :)

2. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Welcome to TSD!

KenH likes this.
  3. GarnerPW

GarnerPW Well-Known Member

Welcome to The Shave Den. :signs046: Sounds like you are on the right track to some great shaves.

RyX and KenH like this.
  4. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Welcome to athe Shave Den! It sounds like you’re off to a great start.

RyX and KenH like this.
  5. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Welcome to the Den.

KenH likes this.
  6. Robert Vella

Robert Vella Member

Welcome to TSD

KenH likes this.
  7. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Thanks chaps :) I'll be quiet for a bit while I have a nose around things :)

RyX likes this.
  8. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Ken, welcome to The Shave Den! You're off to a great start!

RyX and KenH like this.
  9. Briscoe

Briscoe Well-Known Member

Welcome to the Den, great forum here.

KenH likes this.
  10. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

:signs046: @KenH from the winter wonder land of western NY, glad you decided to join us at TSD.

RyX and KenH like this.
  11. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

Hello and Welcome!

KenH likes this.
  12. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Welcome to TSD.

KenH likes this.
  13. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Hi from Seoul, nice to meet you.

KenH likes this.
  14. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Welcome, from Texas.

KenH likes this.
  15. AGHisBBS

AGHisBBS Well-Known Member

Welcome to The Shave Den!

16. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Welcome to TSD @KenH

17. RyX

RyX DoH!

Welcome @KenH! Glad you joined us here at TSD. Sounds like you are doing it the right way. Spending time learning and developing your technique pays off later when you try other gear. There's a group that does just this - The 30 Day Rule / Focus crew are a bunch of New shavers learning vintage gear, and Vintage shavers trying out new gear. If you find you have questions drop by! Read the first post for the explanation of how we operate, or jump to the end of the thread and ask questions. Beware - there may be Shenanigans.

Take a moment to visit The Newbie Giveaway and sign up for your chance at some internet spending credits. Read the rules to be sure you qualify.

By the way, I like your Merkur Futur razor! So much that I picked up a clone - A Ming Shi 2000S. I took a month to Focus on it & I can get great error free shaves on setting 4.5. Very nice tool.

18. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

Welcome!

19. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Welcome, @KenH , from North Cackalacky. Glad you have joined us. Let's hear more about you.
    zwelcome1a.jpg

KenH likes this.
  20. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Hmm. 53, husband,father, enjoy lifting heavy things, cycling, martial arts. Recent convert to DE razors and the rituals that come with them. Love food wine and good times and time out doors. Kinda covers the basics

sdguero likes this.