Hello from a noob...

Discussion in 'Welcome Center' started by Stu929, Apr 16, 2017.

1. Stu929

Stu929 Well-Known Member

So Ive been lurking for a bit and decided to take the plunge. I am a child of the 80s so wet shaving is completely foreign to me. I have read a bunch and to be honest Im probably more confused then when I started. Hope to maybe pick up an adjustable from that timeframe at some point.

Today I happened to stop into some antique shops and saw what I believe to be a 1961 super speed flare. I heard it was mild which os what I'd be looking for but also saw some have to take so many passes it causes irritation. Hopefully thats not the case.

I grabbed some Gillette Platnium blades from the grocery store until I can get a sample pack. Ill order a brush and with soap and a sample pack tonight or tomorrow.

Seller didnt really clean it so I wasn't sure what to expect but cleaned up rather nicely!

2. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Welcome. Sounds like your offto a good start.

clint64 likes this.
  3. Stu929

Stu929 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Lighting sucks but it cleaned up pretty nicely.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 16, 2017
    brit, 178-bplatoon, AGHisBBS and 7 others like this.
  4. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Welcome to The Shave Den! Super speeds are great razors. You're bound to like it.

5. dl76

dl76 Member

Superspeed vintage and proraso i suggest. Good luck. Let the weight of razor do the shaving.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

6. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

That cleaned up very well!!

7. Stu929

Stu929 Well-Known Member

I forgot to mention it was 10 bucks. Saw a handful of 3 piece that I am tempted to go back and grab just becuase they looked so mint but I dunno.

wristwatchb and RyX like this.
  8. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

Welcome aboard!

9. RyX

RyX DoH!

Welcome @Stu929 ! Glad you de-lurked and jumped in. Be sure you sign up for The Newbie Giveaway. Read the rule to ensure you qualify.
    I'm a big fan of vintage Gillettes from antique / thrift stores & flea markets. If those other razors are similarly priced - check them for bent teeth or guard bars. Try the moving parts. Many old units are made of brass and last for decades. If it turns out you don't like them, someone else may. At a ten spot you ought to be able to recover your investment.
    That said, the Flair Tip Super Speed you have is a Good Razor. If you look at the bottom of the base plate there will be a Capital letter on the left side of the handle & a number on the right side. Date Codes if you are interested in knowing when it was made.
    Still looking for soap and a brush? Assuming you are near a Walmart, Target, Krogers, etc you may find Van Der Hagen products available. Cremo is on many shelves, And you haven't even checked the Ladies Beauty Supply stores yet. Sally's may stock some stuff, and Walgreen's has much online that can be shipped to the store for pickup.
    Too Much Info? Slow down. Ask questions. TSD members are a friendly bunch. Folks will show up with opinions, advice, even actual information! This is your thread

10. Stu929

Stu929 Well-Known Member

I see a G and a 4 so I think thats 61? If I looked it up right.

I saw a very nice gold/brass Open comb that came in a box. All the finished looked good and it had a razor holder and all the teeth looked good, handle wasnt split. I think it was 20. Saw another open comb that came in a cardboard box that literally looked like it was printed yesterday, I bet they cut it open to sell it which would be sad but it looked brand new....I think that was 30ish? Either way both def have nostalgia.

Thank you for the advice and welcome!

[​IMG]
    Here is the very nice looking tech
    [​IMG]
    Not exactly sure what this one was but it was in very good shape too.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2017
    178-bplatoon, Boojum1, RyX and 3 others like this.
  11. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Leave the gun take the canoli....and the 3 piece razors.
    I did not know they made an open comb tech.

Keithmax likes this.
  12. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Welcome to the Den.

13. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

IMG_0244.JPG

IMG_0097.JPG
    Above, '71 Super Adjustable 109 and my favorite, a NEW Short Comb circa 1932-1940. Both fleamarket finds. $5 for the NEW, $1 for the SA-109

Welcome @Stu929! Looks like you've hit the ground running. Great finds. If you've got the cash make the buys. You can't go wrong. To the above advice I'll add head over to Bath & Body Works. You can pick up C O Bigelow Premium Shaving Cream(aka Proraso Green) for $10. Large tube.

14. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Welcome, from Texas.

15. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
  16. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

17. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Welcome to TSD. The Super Speed is a great razor. Congrats on finding such a deal.

18. DesertTime

DesertTime Well-Known Member

Welcome. Nice razor.

19. George X

George X Well-Known Member

Welcome to TSD. You should enjoy the Super Speed. Not sure where you live, but the two 3 piece razors are good prices. I wish the antique stores here in Colorado had similar items at similar prices

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Welcome to The Shave Den! You're off to a great start...Your Super Speed is a fantastic razor. I'd still go back and get those other vintage Gillettes, though! ;)

Consider joining the "30 Day" group (link in my signature). The party never stops, so you can join anytime. We're all there to work on our shaving technique and have fun. New folks often use one razor/blade combo, one soap or cream, and one brush for 30 days and share their results. If you have questions along the way, someone is always ready to help, and photos are always appreciated. Many guys have become skilled shavers using this approach...to the point that they can get great shaves from ANY razor. And, of course, there are the shenanigans...

RyX likes this.