Hello from a noob...

Discussion in 'Welcome Center' started by Stu929, Apr 16, 2017.

1. Stu929

Stu929 Well-Known Member

I actually live in an area where everything seems to be heavily marked up maybe I just stumbled into a few good deals.

Almost bought a ladies blue starburst for 25 early in the day but though I could find something cheaper and I did.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

RyX likes this.
  2. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Hi for, Seoul, nice to meet you.

3. Shave Fu

Shave Fu Shavette Sensei

:signs046: from fellow newbie!

4. RyX

RyX DoH!

As I understand it, those long handled "Lady" razors use the same head pieces as the Flare Tip Super Speed of that year. I like em, own two! Used one to clean up after my shavette the other day.
    Blue Lady Gillette DE.gif

5. Stu929

Stu929 Well-Known Member

That's it! Well I did shave last night and it went well all things considered. With the grain was pretty easy though in some places took more than one pass. Across was not comfortable and was quickly halted . Against the grain went just fine as well though maintaining the right angle on my neck was a challenge. I believe I had 2 spots thar wept a tiny bit where I had to repeat but no true nicks and no burn last night or today!

RyX likes this.
  6. RyX

RyX DoH!

It's not commonly accepted procedure, but I tried something that works for me. When using a DE, injector, or shavette I do my WTG pass first. Generally that's a N to S all over. Here's where I deviate; Second pass I go ATG. That's a S to N pass. Most shavers would have worked in a 'cross the grain (XTG) pass. When using a shavette I can get a E to W and back on my cheeks and chin, not so much below my chin line. If it's a DE or Injector shave, XTG on cheeks doesn't have much to catch. Below my jaw line I do The Gillette Slide. This duplicates or approximates the effect of a Slant razor. While holding the razor at the correct Angle of Attack, the motion is not at 90 degrees, but maybe 60. A scything stroke catches those pesky hairs that grow in swirls on my neck. @mantic provides visual examples of this and other interesting techniques.

7. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

Hello and welcome

8. Str8on2

Str8on2 Well-Known Member

Welcome to the Den..... :signs046:

9. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Welcome to TSD!

10. Stu929

Stu929 Well-Known Member

Im avoiding the tempation to just buy a VDH kit. Can someone recommend a decent brush or stand and soap brush combo that wont break the bank? Im trying to stay conservative as one Im new and trying not to make the misses to frustrated... just yet:)

I looked at Italian Barber, West Coast shaving and a handful of others but dont want to end up with a junk brush I'd just have to replace.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2017
    RyX likes this.
  11. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    That is a nice one. The journey begins. Glad you have joined us.
    zwelcome2.jpg

12. RyX

RyX DoH!

The VDH kit isn't great, but it will get you started. The brush lasted me more than six months. For an alternative look into Omega boar brushes, or one of the many synthetics now available.The VDH soap is a glycerine based type. Some shavers prefer it to others. I find it to be acceptable, not great or outstanding. The Blue and green shave bowl is nice. One day I suspect they will be our generation's Old Spice Mug. Soaps may be on the shelf at your local stores. Walmart, Walgreens, Target, and Krogers carry different products depending on where you live. You can also order from the Interwebs & have it shipped to your local store.
    If you have been using canned shave cream or gel, they do work. Take your time and see what is popular, ask the questions, make an informed decision. There are many products that appear in the Shave of the Day thread. Ask folks why they like what they use. Deciding factors about brushes and soaps are YOMV ( You Opinion May Vary). Brushes go from very soft to scratchy, and from less than $10 to car note prices. Soaps can be purchased in sample sized bits, or One Kilo Blocks.
    As a New Shaver you are highly susceptible to The AD's - Acquisition Disorders. So ask those question & right here in YOUR thread is a good place to have all this info gathered togeather! The other option is buying stuff that looks shiny, but doesn't work for you because you like how it looks, but it doesn't work for you. The good news is some of your future mistakes might be tradeable to someone else, if you can find someone that likes the particular product.

Stu929 likes this.
  13. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

Welcome to TSD Stu! wave.gif You are on your way.:happy088:

14. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

My VDH brush is losing a few hairs, but nothing horrible. Two in the last two shaves, but none in the previous four shaves. I figure I'll get another year (or two) out of it reasonably easily.

15. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

My VDH has been in the rotation for 4 years or so. Still does a great job. I see a hair fall out now and then. Then again mine do too now and then.

Stu929 likes this.
  16. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Welcome to TSD! Your razor is a good one for learning. I'd just stick to it with the Platinum blades for a month. You'll be better able to evaluate your needs, if any, for a different razor then. Good luck and hope you enjoy your vintage razor!

George X likes this.
  17. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Use Barbasol for learning. It's $2 a can. You need consistent lather for learning, most of the results in this style of shaving are technique driven. You can get as fancy as you see fit with soap, but Barbasol will do just fine.

Bookworm and AGHisBBS like this.
  18. AGHisBBS

AGHisBBS Well-Known Member

Welcome to The Shave Den, a great place to hang out!

19. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

:signs046: to TSD @Stu929

Wish I was a child of the eighties :happy097: I hope you enjoy it here.

Your off to a good start with the SS. Getting a 3 piece or two wouldn't be a bad idea either. That way you can try both styles and see if one fits you better than the other. I started with a SuperSpeed but then settled on a 3 piece. There is alot of variety in 3 pieces shave heads and handles. :)

20. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

I have both 3 piece and 80's Superspeed (well, and 40's, and flare, and ...). You can get a good shave from almost anything, but definitely use the one and work with it. @Bama Samurai is right, there's nothing wrong with Barbasol, or other canned foam - especially if you're already used to it. It removes another variable from the learning experience.