Hello From Beautiful Traverse City, Mi

Discussion in 'Welcome Center' started by john zeiger, Mar 14, 2018.

1. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Welcome to RSD @john zeiger I love the Cherry Festival.

john zeiger likes this.
  2. AGHisBBS

AGHisBBS Well-Known Member

Welcome to The Shave Den!

john zeiger likes this.
  3. john zeiger

john zeiger Well-Known Member

Thank you for the warm welcome. Traverse City is great in the summer. The winters though.....

wristwatchb likes this.
  4. john zeiger

Thank you for the warm welcome. I too like Cherry Festival. Luckily we live downtown and can walk to everything. Traffic, as I'm sure you know can be rough.

5. john zeiger

Thank you for your warm welcome. I really look forward to learning more about this hobby and sharing what I've learned.

RyX likes this.
  6. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Welcome, from Texas.

john zeiger likes this.
  7. john zeiger

Sorry for the delay but I just forgot to respond.

My 5 favorite razors are:
    1. Rockwell 6C (Also one of my cheapest razors) Shaves are sooo smooth.
    2. Above The Tie closed comb slant (model S1) Again very smooth particularly for a slant.
    3. Timeless Bronze - A nice efficient razor for me.
    4. Above the Tie Calypso (both M1 and R1 Base Plate) Very efficient.
    5. Colonial General SE - Quite Smooth.

Honorable Mention:
    1. 1967 Gillette Slim
    2 1946-1950 Gillette Tech.

I have a medium beard with sensitive skin thus my preference for fairly mild-medium razors.

Not sure what you mean by favorite set up. But, I'll let you know what other gear I generally use:

Blade: my favorites are Voskhod, Persona Red, Permasharp Super and Astra SP's.
    Preshave: I've been trying a number of things including Preshave oils and soaps but haven't really found the right thing yet.
    Brush: I prefer synthetics (I have a number that I enjoy). I guess I haven't learned how to use natural hair brushes as I find that all but my Semogue SOC 2 band badger seem to eat lather. I've really had problems with boars. By the way I'm a face latherer.
    Soaps: my three favorite are Mike's Natural, B &M (all bases) and Sudsy Soapery.
    Witch Hazel: Thayers
    Aftershaves: my three favorites are Chatillon Lux, Stirling and B&M.

I hope this gives you what you were looking for. If not, please let me know and I will try provide you with what else you might be looking for.

sdguero, Paul Turner and Enrico like this.
  8. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

No worries, you got it right. I forget on shave sites there are terms, phrases and acronyms used, almost like a foreign language. I've been looking at the Rockwell S6, but generally stick with vintage. My recent favorites are English and Canadian Techs, but just got in an English LC Minora that I find amazing. I have a silver Rotbart coming in soon I'm very curious to see how it shaves. I also prefer a medium to mild razor, but I've noticed even in the five years I've been DE shaving I can enjoy the more efficient razors as well, due to improved technique I suspect.
    There are also the razors that surprise you with a fine shave like an vintage bakelite Simplex I picked up for coffee money. Reminded me of a slightly aggressive Tech ... very nice.

BTW putting up your own avatar helps people recognize you ... at least it help me.

john zeiger likes this.
  9. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

john zeiger likes this.
  10. sdguero

sdguero Well-Known Member

john zeiger likes this.
  11. john zeiger

I too was looking at the Rockwell 6S before I bought the 6C but found the 6C on a B/S/T board. It was brand new and for a price I couldn't pass up. I really like the Rockwell razors. Used mine this morning in fact. I find that I reach for it often. I'm obviously a big fan. Thank you for the idea of an avatar. Though, not sure how to go about it. Any suggestions?

12. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Great job on the avatar. PM me any time you have any particular questions.

john zeiger likes this.
  13. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

I've been here a couple years and STILL need help from others. But I'm staying with my mountain scenery shot. I like yours.

Enrico and john zeiger like this.
  14. john zeiger

Enrico, thank you so much for your kind offer. Don't be surprised if I take you up on it.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2018
    Enrico likes this.
  15. john zeiger

Thank you Paul.

Paul Turner likes this.
  16. 9nein9

9nein9 Guest

Welcome

john zeiger likes this.
  17. Timothy Hayes

Timothy Hayes Member