Hello from Iowa!

Discussion in 'Welcome Center' started by Opie, Feb 4, 2017.

1. Opie

Opie Member

Hey everyone! I started lurking today, found lots of good info, and decided to join up. There are lots of things I am looking forward to learning.

I found the place when searching for advice on how many shaves I should expect from a DE razor, but I think due to the sensitivity of my skin, I'm going to limit my shaves to fewer than I could probably get otherwise.

A little about me:
    • I'm a lawyer by training, but I work for a human resources outsourcing firm. I usually don't actually practice law (even though I maintain my license).
    • I live in Iowa, and I love it fanatically. I lived in Florida for seven years, and I hated it.
    • I love what you might call "old timey" things, and I think a lot of the old techniques are better than the new-fangled stuff. Not always though. Technology is a good thing sometimes.
    • I decided to try a safety razor when an acquaintance mentioned that it was the only thing that gave him a comfortable shave. I have liked what I have had so far, and I can't wait to try some better blades.
    That's enough for now. I'm looking forward to getting into some real threads.

2. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

Welcome to the Den @Opie! As you have probably gathered there is a lot of info out here. I'll ask the obligatory question: What gear are you using? We've got a very strong SR community here. That's about as "old timey" as you can get. But we've also got DE, SE and carts. Of course since you've been lurking you know this. Glad you decided to step on in. So pull up a seat grab a beverage and dive in. Enjoy your shaves!

RyX and Opie like this.
  3. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Hi! Glad you're here!!

Opie likes this.
  4. Opie

Opie Member

Thanks for the welcome!

I probably won't go SR, as I wear a beard and only shave my neck. I don't want to get sucked that far in for such a small area. My wife would kill me if I acquired more shaving gear.

Currently, I'm using two old Gillette safety razors I picked up. One reason I joined is to try to confirm the two razors I have. One I think is a 1972 resin handle Tech. The other is a 1961 Gold Gillette Slim Adjustable Aristocrat. I think at least. I will post pics here in a few.

Here is the tech.

Attached Files:

DaltonGang, wristwatchb and RyX like this.
  5. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Welcome to TSD. I'm an "old-timey" fan, too :).

Opie likes this.
  6. Opie

Opie Member

Here is the adjustable one.

Attached Files:

DaltonGang, wristwatchb and Troy M like this.
  7. Hodge

Hodge Well-Known Member

Welcome aboard.

Opie likes this.
  8. lightcs1776

lightcs1776 Well-Known Member

Welcome to The Shaving Den. It has been a long while time since I lived in Iowa, but I recall that it was a beautiful state.

Sent via mobile - Chris

Opie likes this.
  9. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Welcome to the Den.

Opie likes this.
  10. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

Hello and welcome!

Sent from my Galaxy S6 using Tapatalk

Opie likes this.
  11. RyX

RyX DoH!

Welcome @Opie ! Glad you jumped in. Folks here are good about accepting any and all. Vintage gear abounds, yet new products pop up all the time. We have a number of Artisans and Craftspersons developing both hardware & software.
    Enjoy that search box. The database is deep. Feel free to revives old dormant discussions, though the original posters may not respond. If you don't find answers start a new thread. You are sure to get opinions, advice, even actual information!

Opie likes this.
  12. Opie

Opie Member

Thanks guys. I'm also looking for information on what that dial on my adjustable is for. I take it it adjusts the blade angle in some way, but I'm not sure what effect that has. I'd be interested in people's recommendation on that. I tried searching, but couldn't find anything. Does anyone have any recommendations about where to post that?

DaltonGang, wristwatchb and RyX like this.
  13. RyX

RyX DoH!

1961 Slim Var.2.jpg

Oh, you have the Gold version?
    1961 Slim Var.3.jpg

@Opie - This is your thread. Feel free to ask any questions here.
    You choose the subject because you can't highjack your own thread!
    Otherwise there are lots of forums and subforums found HERE.

14. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Welcome to TSD @Opie

Opie likes this.
  15. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

excellent stuff, Rick. Going by this, I shouldn't go higher than 3.

RyX and Opie like this.
  16. Opie

Opie Member

I DO have the gold version! Thanks! This is a big help. My razors didn't come with anything, so this is great stuff.

The first time I used the gold razor, I set it at a 5 because I had no idea what setting to use. No wonder it tore me up more than the tech.

17. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    High their, @Opie , glad you decided to join us after lurking so long.
    zwelcome1.jpg

Opie likes this.
  18. Opie

Opie Member

Thanks for the welcomes and help, everyone. Can anyone verify that I have identified the razors correctly? The gold one has a G marking, and the black-handled one has an S.

DaltonGang likes this.
  19. RyX

RyX DoH!

There are several site that pop up from a Google search.
    Razor Archive has all the pertinents.
    "G" could be a 1936 or 1961. "S" is '47 or '72. From there search what you think yours might be and confirm with images. Some times Gillette used particular parts from one year on the previous or next years production. It can be a little muddy.

Opie likes this.
  20. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Hi from Seoul, nice to meet you.

Opie likes this.