Hello from the UK

Discussion in 'Welcome Center' started by SevenEighth, Mar 17, 2018.

1. GarnerPW

GarnerPW Well-Known Member

2. SevenEighth

SevenEighth Well-Known Member

What a great welcome from everyone - thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

RyX likes this.
  3. SevenEighth

Honing is my big challenge, so I’ll take your advice regarding the practice razor.

RyX likes this.
  4. SevenEighth

I hope I can be helpful. Taught to straight shave by my Grandfather who was taught by his. It’s quite different to how people shave these days.

My DE shaving - 30 years not realising that anyone else shaved like that, and unaware of high quality modern razors, creams and brushes.

I have skin problems, sensitivity and beard growth like copper wire. Very happy to share experiences in how to deal with that scenario.

RyX likes this.
  5. RyX

RyX DoH!

Honing is my stumbling block. I enjoy a straight razor shave, but don't have a set of stones to restore or maintain. I hear a Norton double sided is a good place to start. Shavette is an alternative but don't quite give the same effect.

Tapatalk Via Kyocera

SevenEighth likes this.
  6. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Welcome to TSD...look forward to your future posts :).

SevenEighth likes this.
  7. Briscoe

Briscoe Well-Known Member

Welcome from Maryland

SevenEighth likes this.
  8. Col C

Col C Well-Known Member

Welcome from the Pacific Northwest.

SevenEighth likes this.
  9. brit

brit in a box

hello and wecome from canada. are modern de blades better than the ones you used before? just curious.thank you. gary

SevenEighth likes this.
  10. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

Howdy from Alabama!

SevenEighth likes this.
  11. SevenEighth

Oh yes. I used to use wilkinson sword and cheap supermarket branded blades. I was completely ignorant of Feathers, Astras, Nacets etc. These have been a revelation for me. Much more efficient and smoother shaves.

12. brit

brit in a box

ok.thank you. i use astras, gillette silver blue etc with vintage british razors and love them. would these modern blades used in like a gillette rocket be in your future?. i am 50 so i never used vintage 50s gillettes with blue blades etc. i grew up in east midlands in the 70s but dad used electrics.thank you again for sharing.gary

13. SevenEighth

That's a really interesting question. I haven't thought about it.

I used 3 DE razors for 30 years, a Wilkinson Sword, a vintage Gillette - no idea what it was and another vintage that I have never identified. The vintage razors are long gone. In comparison with the collection of razors I have built up over the last 18 months they don’t compare well, so at the moment I don’t have a great desire to investigate. But I think you are probably right - even my least favourite razors shave well with good blades, and my DE Shaving technique has improved due to reading forums and studying you tube. I would be curious to pick up a vintage razor again.

It's another thing to start collecting and experimenting with, so why not.

What I like about about modern razors is the apparent response to the shaving community. Razors like Above the Tie, Razorock, Rockwell, Executive Shaving's Claymore, even the Muhle Rocca all seem to be a response to the shaving community's likes and needs.

I totally get the innovation and manufacturing quality of vintage razors. I'm just also really into the evolution of modern razors right now. It's very exciting I think.

brit likes this.
  14. brit

brit in a box

it is exciting..my most modern razor is a razorock mamba stainless steel razor and it is fantastic.i also love an astra sp blade in my # 22/66 brit aristocrat. awesome bbs no drama shaves.good prep ,soap etc .all good. with both. i am lucky to experience modern technologies that improve both new and vintage shaving experiences. thank you again ,gary

SevenEighth likes this.
  15. AGHisBBS

AGHisBBS Well-Known Member

Welcome to The Shave Den!

SevenEighth likes this.
  16. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

Hello and welcome!

SevenEighth likes this.
  17. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

BTW @SevenEighth, great looking avatar ... silly as it sounds, it always helps me to remember people names.

SevenEighth likes this.
  18. SevenEighth

Thanks - I think I might have a couple of brushes made out of yours!

Enrico likes this.
  19. BaylorGator

BaylorGator MISTER Fancypants

Welcome from Florida!

20. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

:happy097: