Hello From The West of Ireland

Discussion in 'Welcome Center' started by Pierce Jordan, Oct 22, 2016.

1. Pierce Jordan

Pierce Jordan Well-Known Member

Hey All,

First time posting on this forum.

Great site btw, love the layout and easy to read format.

Bit about myself, I'm 37, From a town called Galway, Ireland and new to DE wet shaving. I've completed a very successful shave this morning after 2 not so successful ones in past 3 days.

So why did I convert, Well I recently lost 5 stone (70lbs/32kg). As a result I've really started to look after my personal hygiene. Although it was never bad, there was room for improvement, now I'm taking great pride in my appearance.

With regards to shaving, for me shaving everyday with a cartridge wasn't an option both financially and physically. I'm not here to criticise cartridge razors if I shaved every other day they did a great job. Just shaving everyday was too much hassle and too irritating on my skin.

So my first step was a few weeks ago. I purchased a shaving soap, brush, oil, and some pre-shave cream. I used all that with the cartridge razor and really liked the ritual and process involved. Plus the shave was a 100 times better than from using the canned gel or foam

I was a little apprehensive at first regarding DE razors. In fact until I started using soaps I didn't even realise there was such a thing anymore.

To cut an already long story short, I made the plunge last week and purchased my first ever DE Razor. The beautiful Edwin Jagger DE89. First two shaves were ok nothing spectacular. I was using Derby blades and they were a little dull for me as I found out. I switched to Wilkinson Sword Classic blades and voila. I'm now converted.

Even though today's shave wasn't perfect it was a huge improvement on my first shave and second. Very close and very little nicks or soreness.

I'm now addicted. Can't wait for tomorrow :)

2. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Pierce, welcome to The Shave Den! I'm glad you're here with us. Congrats on your weight loss! This will incredibly improve your overall health.

You're off to a fine start with the DE89. Be sure to sign up for the Newbie Giveaway, and check out the 30-day focus thread where many traditional shavers have fine-tuned their skills. The party never stops on this thread, so it's never too late to join!

3. RyX

RyX DoH!

Welcome @Pierce Jordan ! Glad you joined us. First up - Unlike some other shave forums it's your face & your shave. If you prefer carts or canned shave gel or foam that's your choice. While many have found they get better beard reduction from different equipment no one will tell you you're wrong.
    Please use that search box. This site had a deep database of knowledge. If you don't find answers feel free to start a new thread. You are sure to get opinions, answers, even actual information!
    Now about that razor of yours...we're gonna need to see photos! How else do we encourage others to own another razor, brush, soap or aftershave?
    This was my shave yesterday. Your Edwin Jagger DE89 and my MÜHLE R89 Grande use the same top end, different handle.
    SOTD 10212016.gif

clint64, BamaT and Pierce Jordan like this.
  4. Bobcat

Bobcat Well-Known Member

Hey Pierce-Welcome aboard!! You will enjoy this bunch!!

Pierce Jordan likes this.
  5. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Welcome and enjoy, Pierce!

6. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Welcome to TSD!

7. Pierce Jordan

Pierce Jordan Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Thanks everyone.

A few pics.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 23, 2016
    178-bplatoon and RyX like this.
  8. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

welcome to the Den

9. BigMike

BigMike Well-Known Member

Welcome!

10. Rusty blade

Rusty blade The Good Humor Man

Welcome to TSD! Now you have to take some pictures and head on over to the Shave of the Day thread and post your daily shave!

Pierce Jordan and RyX like this.
  11. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

Welcome aboard!

12. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

Welcome @Pierce Jordan to the Den! My first DE was an EJ DE8911. I made the switch to DE, soap and brush shaving primarily because of the ridiculous cost of carts, and found I really enjoy it and most days I look forward to shaving.

Congratulations on the weight loss. I've lost around 25 lbs and need to lose some more. Most of my ancestry is Irish; one of my cousins has traced our line back to Ireland, coming to America about 10 years before the famous Mayflower came over. My wife and I would really like to visit Ireland some day.

Pierce Jordan and RyX like this.
  13. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

Welcome from Dallas, Texas!

There are some great products out of Europe, so you will easily be able to add or switch out gear with ease.

What type of soap(s) do you use?

14. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Hi! Glad you joined us!!

15. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

Hello and welcome

16. AGHisBBS

AGHisBBS Well-Known Member

Welcome to The Shave Den, a great place to hang out!

17. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Welcome to TSD.

18. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Hey, Pierce, it is great to have you join us here at TSD. We are all glad to have you. I could hardly tell you were from the West of Ireland. I could not detect an accent in your post. The "5 stone" was the giveaway. You have a nice easy writing style. I look forward to reading you some more.
    zwelcome2.jpg zwelcome0B.jpg

19. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

Hello Pierce! Welcome to the Shave Den. :)

20. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Welcome, from Texas.
    My best advice is to stick with the EJ razor, and Wilkinson razors until your shaves are perfect. No nicks or cuts. But, I would add a quality shave soap into the mix, that will improve your shave dramatically. Also, get an aftershave that is moisturizing.