Hello...

Discussion in 'Welcome Center' started by Bran, Mar 12, 2018.

1. Bran

Bran Member

Good morning folks...newbie to the forum from North Carolina. I have been a wet shaver for about twelve years. Started with safety razors and moved to straights within a year. I lurked around the site for a few weeks and decided to join. Have a great shave today!

Keithmax, sdguero, AGHisBBS and 14 others like this.
  2. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Welcome to TSD!

Bran likes this.
  3. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Welcome to The Shave Den!

:signs046:

Bran likes this.
  4. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

:signs046: to TSD @Bran

I hope you like it here with us. Many straight shavers around these parts. :)

Bran likes this.
  5. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

Good morning, hello and welcome.

Bran likes this.
  6. GarnerPW

GarnerPW Well-Known Member

Welcome to the Den.
    :signs046:

Bran likes this.
  7. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Good morning and welcome @Bran from western NY, glad you decided to join us at TSD.

Bran likes this.
  8. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Welcome to TSD @Bran

Bran likes this.
  9. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    High their, @Bran , from North Cackalacky. I'm in Hendersonville. Where are you?
    zwelcome1a.jpg

Bran likes this.
  10. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Welcome to TSD.

Bran likes this.
  11. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Welcome, from Texas.

Bran likes this.
  12. RyX

RyX DoH!

Welcome @Bran! Glad you joined us here at TSD. This is your own personal thread so feel free to ask question. Our community is well stocked with friendly knowledgeable folks to offer opinion, advice, even actual information.

I'm glad you brought your experience with you. I may have question of my own later! For now I wonder if you have a favorite set up. Any particular soap, brush, razor, or post shave products that stand out for you? Photos are encouraged!

You aren't new to shaving, but you are fresh to TSD so take a moment to sign up for The Newbie Giveaway. It's your chance at some internet spending credits. Read the rules to be sure your qualify.

Bran likes this.
  13. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

Hello and welcome!

Bran likes this.
  14. Bran

Bran Member

I’m in Reidsville. I went through Hendersonville last week on my way from Bat Cave to Brevard.

wristwatchb and Yehuda D like this.
  15. Bran

Bran Member

A9992548-BC2B-461D-9F5A-05038990B9F1.jpeg
    Sometimes I wonder about experience, but thankfully there are far more great shaves in a row after twelve years. Favorite setup is a tough one. I have a bellied hollow 6/8 Hart that I tend to go to for great shaves, but I’m not sure I could say it is my favorite.

My favorite is probably my Numax. I can’t claim the pic above...I borrowed it from the seller’s website. I tend to enjoy B&M soaps but my favorite is Martin de Candre. I’m just a little to cheap to pay shipping very often so I only get to enjoy it every few years. My favorite brush in a Simpsons 90th anniversary Astor in super badger. I keep my post shave pretty basic with Thayer’s cucumber witch hazel and AoS Ocean Kelp, which I hear has been discontinued. I guess I’ll be looking for a new post balm. That one was scented enough to smell good without knocking my allergies in high gear. If I use my DE instead of a straight I use my grandfather’s Gillette Aristocrat with a Feather or sometimes a Personna Platinum. What’s yours?

Thanks for asking.

16. RyX

RyX DoH!

Sounds like you've sampled enough products to develop your preferences.

I'm balanced between enjoying vintage and sampling new stuff. I started my Wet Shave Journey couple years ago with a 1/2 DE blade shavette. Moved into straight razors, then DE's, and finally reached SE razors - Schick, not Gem. Lately I've explored a couple new DE types. Took a Blackland Blackbird for a weeks test shaves. Very impressed with the polished stainless steel finish, and it's a great aggressive razor. I picked up a Merkur Futur clone that I enjoy. No stranger to adjustables, a Gillette Fat Boy has become my benchmark razor. Being Slant Curious I trade some gear for a 1930's NOS German Lutz Slant. It's a beautiful razor, but the shave isn't magical since I already do the Gillette Slide.

I'm all over the place with soaps. From vintage Williams and Colgate, to American artisans like Route 66, Stirling, and others. Old World soaps too - Truefitt & Hill, Palmolive, Klar. I've tested some experimental soaps, too.

In brushes I have a preference for boar, but I'm liking the latest synthetics. Don't own many badgers so the jury's still out on them. There's a never ending parade of Enablers that keep me thinking about them but the prices keep me humble.

Post shave products is another rabbit hole. I'm happy with many Pinaud offerings. Barbasol splashes are good bang for the buck. I've experimented making an unrefined Shea Butter lotion. Vintage Shulton Old Spice and a couple Avon products have aged well and I've kept my eyes open at 2nd hand shopping.

Paul Turner and Yehuda D like this.
  17. Bran

Bran Member

Most definitely sounds like you have as well. I shave with my Futur Saturday morning for the first time in a few years. I love how aggressive it will get. I have played with several several soap artisans as well. I found a lady in MN about five years ago and used her stuff for the better part of a year. She made soap with the best glide and moisturizing elements I have ever used. My wife really enjoyed her hand and bath soaps. One day her website and email were gone. I also loved Queen Charlotte Soap. Plus buying their stuff I was able to support a local artisan. I hated to see them close shop.

I have thought about trying a new synthetic brush. Most guys who try them seem to like them. Plus they don’t seem too expensive to get into. You are right...prices keep me humble. I just splurged on one of the most expensive straights I have purchased. My shave budget is zapped for a while.

Thanks for your replies. I love reading about experiences others have.

Keithmax, RyX and Yehuda D like this.
  18. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

Welcome!

Yehuda D likes this.
  19. RyX

RyX DoH!

A while back I picked up a Rubberset 400 brush. There's a long discussion about them here. Many restored theirs with original type tall lofted flat topped boar knots. Omega brushes are good for that since the handles are low quality but the knots are great. The other trend I kept seeing was Tuxedo synthetic knots from APShaveCo on Etsy. Now I have two of the synthetic knots from that supplier installed in different handles. Then the Chinese supplier of these knots started selling them in singles lots and installed in their own handles. Yaqi is edging out secondary retailers by keeping the prices low. The one other modern synthetic I've enjoyed is from Maggard - a Sunrise synth. It's not as soft as the first two, but definitely in my rotation.

I'm not vegan leaning since I like tallow soaps and got nothing against natural fiber brushes. I can see a century from now horse, badger, & boar will be like 1800's straight razors are today. Still liked by enthusiast, but not used by the majority of shavers.

20. 9nein9

9nein9 Guest

Welcome to the shave den!