Help identifying this Gillette...please?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Shamrock, Dec 30, 2013.

1. Shamrock

Shamrock Active Member

I purchased this off of eBay a few days ago, and being new to wet shaving, had to research before buying it. I thought it was a Tech with a ball end, but are Techs this small? Just trying to determine what it is I have added to the den. Thanks [​IMG][​IMG]

2. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

That is a travel tech. The handle looks the same, but is shorter.

Shamrock, BigT, richgem and 1 other person like this.
  3. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Yup, Travel Tech. Decent shaver with the right blade. For me, that means Astra SP.

4. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

What they all said. Any standard handle should fit just fine if you want something longer. The short handle can be tough to use if you're not used to DE shaving to begin with.

Shamrock likes this.
  5. Jim Winters

Jim Winters Member

Just ask this guy trying to get used to the short straight razor and brush he scored
    tiny-straight-razor.jpg

6. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

On the plus side, you have fantastic maneuverability under your nose and ear hair won't stand a chance either.

Shamrock and Jim Winters like this.
  7. Shamrock

Shamrock Active Member

Thanks for the info...I was really surprised at how small the handle is.

OK, this is one of those posts that cause milk to fly out of your nose...luckily I wasn't drinking milk at the time I read it LOL

8. BigT

BigT Well-Known Member

I've got one like it but the handle is aluminum. I think it would be a nice piece for a military person when they are deployed. It will most likely be my next PIF.

Shamrock likes this.
  9. Shamrock

Shamrock Active Member

That's a great idea BigT...I might gift it to my son for his next deployment. Though I will have to get him wet shaving first; something that would be easier if he wasn't in stationed in Germany right now. LOL

BigT likes this.
  10. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Yep, it's a travel tech. I got one in 1967 when I went into the Army. It was a good shaver. I got me a "new" one about a year ago, and I do use it on trips. This one is an H2, so it was manufactured the second quarter of 1962.

travel2.jpg

Shamrock likes this.
  11. Shamrock

Shamrock Active Member

Thanks, it's nice to see what it looks like in good shape. So these were Army issue, or you purchased it yourself when you enlisted?

12. Sontag

Sontag Well-Known Member

Sorry to hijack Shamrock's thread, but does anyone know where this travel tech was made? This is the only Gillette razor that I have with Spanish words:

[​IMG]

Shamrock likes this.
  13. Jim Winters

Jim Winters Member

1964 Gillette Travel Razor Made in USA of course, but it is a travel razor head. (Someone correct me if I am wrong. Not sure why the Marca Regs is there. Perhaps because it was a travel razor or was also marketed in South America. (Some one step in if you know for sure)

14. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

I've heard Marcas Regs was marketed for South America, but I can't be sure if that's true. I've heard they were sold everywhere.

I also have an Argentine made tech that says "Industria Argentina" on the baseplate. The Brazilian made ones say roughly the same thing in Portuguese and the Mexican made ones say "Hecho en México."

That's why I'm not sure about the Marcas Regs ones.

15. Jim Winters

Jim Winters Member

Let me venture a guess or theory maybe. Freebies on airlines traveling primarily in the western hemisphere? For example, PanAm? I know they used to give away Travel Techs