Help me identify this razor...

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Herm2502, Jun 23, 2015.

1. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

My wife came home from a thrift store the other day and brought two razors with her. First was a 1961 Fat Boy that is currently at Razor Emporium for a tune up since the adjuster was frozen.

The second razor was this one. It says "Made in Germany" on the bottom plate, but the top plate looks almost like it came from an Old Type and sort of doesn't look like it matches the rest of the razor. As you can see the guard is really angled away from the top plate and the handle is aluminum.

Any ideas? Is this just a German tech clone of some type? Thanks in advance TSD!

GTech-1.JPG GTech-2.JPG GTech-3.JPG GTech-4.JPG

178-bplatoon and wristwatchb like this.
  2. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

Frankenraiser
    That's an aluminium Gillette handle. I'm guessing a Nazi era head assembly. Kinda ironic.

3. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    :signs011:

Douglas Carey likes this.
  4. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Not Nazi era. WW2 era German razors had thicker baseplates. I would guess it's probably post war, Eastern German (soviet) manufacture. Post war Western German razors were marked W. Germany. (Edit: I agree that the handle is not original to that razor).

http://forum.axishistory.com/viewto...sid=84bc0031f696f0aad9c763268be9fb6f&start=15
    Just for kicks, Adolf Hitler shaved with a British Old Type. Some nice pictures of his kit in that thread.

Herm2502 likes this.
  5. Herm2502

Thought it might be a frankenrazor, the parts just don't match up. That top plate is brass, but the bottom is very thin, cheap metal. Then there's the handle. On top of that, the top plate and guard don't line up evenly.

Thanks guys. Wife had to take this one to get the fat boy, they were a package deal.

6. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Plan's probably got the bottom plate pegged. Thin, stamped, no frills...East German Bloc era craftsmanship at its finest?

GDCarrington and Herm2502 like this.
  7. Herm2502

In other words it's a POS model? :rofl:

8. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    In my experience, frankenrazors usually shave great, because the owner selected each part for a reason.

gorgo2 likes this.
  9. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

A razor is only ever as bad as it shaves.

10. Herm2502

I guess I'll have to try it out. After all, the emergency room in only about 1/2 mile from my house! :happy068::shocked003:

Darkbulb, mrchick and GDCarrington like this.
  11. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

If the parts fit together as they should (and they do, more often than not), it will provide a serviceable shave. Some, surprisingly so when they look like such dogs.

12. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

IMG_20150627_162257_224.jpg

'68 Travel Tech cap
    Late '30s Senator baseplate
    Nameless steel handle.

A dog? Yes. But it performs great.

Herm2502 likes this.