Help me Pick a razor

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by LilWolfe27, Jul 24, 2017.

1. LilWolfe27

LilWolfe27 New Member

My fiance wants a decent safety razor (plus accessories) for his birthday. He has been using a cheap one for about a year to see if he likes it, which he does. Help me pick one out!

He wants:
    • Butterfly/TTO
    • Double Edge
    • Stainless Steel or Ivory/Wooden Handle
    • Good for sensitive skin.
    I'm looking to spend around $30-$50 on the razor itself.

Thanks!

RyX likes this.
  2. RyX

RyX DoH!

The Sir shows great restraint keeping to his single razor for a years worth of shaving. I'm not up on New production razors, but folks will be along to offer suggestions.
    Do you know the brand or model number of his current razor? That may help in suggestions for his next one.

3. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

For modern (quality, there are many very cheap Chinese razors our there) TTO razors you pretty much only have a couple of options.

Parker (Made in India) or Weishi or Baili (both made in China). There are many re-branded Weishi razors out there and his "cheap" razor is probably one of them. Baili razors are also very inexpensive but have a different look to them.

If you start looking at vintage razors you have a lot more options. A Gillette Adjustable (Black Beauty, Slim, or Fatboy) or an Aristocrat or any of the various flavors of Superspeeds would be a good option.

None of them unfortunately are made from stainless steel, they are all pretty much plated brass.

BigMark83 likes this.
  4. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

May be tough to find a TTO with an ivory or wooden handle for less than $50.

5. Stu929

Stu929 Well-Known Member

Does it have to be new? Or are you open to vintage?

I'm guessing stainless may eliminate vintage.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

6. LilWolfe27

LilWolfe27 New Member

I don't know what brand, but I do know it was only $10 at the beauty store.

7. LilWolfe27

LilWolfe27 New Member

I am open to anything! Also, I think he's fine with any metal, he just doesn't want any handles with colors (i.e. Parker has some black handles, pink, etc. He does want anything like that).

8. Stu929

Stu929 Well-Known Member

You could probably find a nice high user grade fatboy or SS Flare here. Both would be fitting of what you are looking for I think. Only reason I mention FB is many like them and if he wants to increase aggressiveness over time he can.

9. lightcs1776

lightcs1776 Well-Known Member

A slim or black beauty is a great choice for vintage. They are excellent razors that can be set for a mild or more aggressive shave.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

10. Stu929

Stu929 Well-Known Member

Whats his birth year?

RyX likes this.
  11. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

I like the Parker 87r, just because it looks like a vintage Aristocrat.
    [​IMG]
    Vintage Gillette Adjustables ( Slim, Black Beauty, Fatboy)
    [​IMG]

Gillette Super Speed's:
    [​IMG]

Gillette Aristocrat:
    [​IMG]

*not my photos

RyX, CarlfromMO and Demidog like this.
  12. Marverel

Marverel Well-Known Member

13. Stu929

Stu929 Well-Known Member

Black Beauty is a good option as well but was trying to stay away from black per her comments

Straight razor dandy likes this.
  14. stuartganis

stuartganis Well-Known Member

I have a Parker 99r and I really like it, it's one of 9 razors that I have and I use it every 2 weeks.

Sent from my QTAQZ3 using Tapatalk

15. cliffb599

cliffb599 Well-Known Member

Parker Variant. $57.00 can't go wrong with it.
    Adjustable Great Razor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

riverrun likes this.
  16. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

When I got started, I decided I wanted TTO and I cannot remember why. Once I became established, I moved towards three piece. There are a lot more choices out there in the three piece world.

stuartganis and cliffb599 like this.
  17. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

Parker has some nice choices that fit your criteria.

If he would prefer TTO they've got several.

If he wouldn't mind a three piece razor then they've got wood or "ivory" (white resin) handles.

Herm2502 likes this.
  18. Col C

Col C Well-Known Member

You will get many opinions on this one. Here's mine: My first real razor (purchased after reading hundreds of reviews on different razors) was the Merkur 34c shown in the photo below. It is an excellent, heavy, and well made razor from Germany. I have many razors now but still use the Merkur 34c more than any other. It is very forgiving and when matched with the right blade for his face, it will provide exceptional shaves. I find that almost any blade will work in this razor. Some other razors can get rather picky. Personally, I do have some vintage razors, but I would not recommend them at this point. They can be expensive and you may not get what you thought you were getting.

The Merkur 34c goes for $40 on just about any of the main vendor websites such as West Coast Shaving or Maggard. Here is a link to one site: http://www.westcoastshaving.com/Merkur-34C-Heavy-Duty-Safety-Razor_p_31.html. There are many reviews of this razor at that link. He's a lucky guy.
    March 24, 2017.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 24, 2017
    GatorJoe, RetLEO-07 and cliffb599 like this.
  19. pisces_0

pisces_0 Well-Known Member

The Merkur 34C was my first "real" razor purchase also, and still holds a starting spot on my varsity bench. Daily use and still loving it.

Very forgiving, easy to find the right angle, well made and great aesthetics. The only downside is that it's a 2-piece, not a TTO.

Col C likes this.
  20. preidy

preidy Just call me Dino

Modern try a 34C. Vintage Krona (TTO) gives a nice mild shave.

cliffb599 likes this.