Help me Pick a razor

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by LilWolfe27, Jul 24, 2017.

1. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

Pick a pearl, Parker, boss, fatip, maggards, italian barber. These (many) aren't stainless steel, but some are chrome over brass, some are zamak, but with due care, should shave well for many years. Those are in your search parameters.

2. cliffb599

cliffb599 Well-Known Member

Forgot about the Krona.
    If he wants (TTO) the Krona is the way to go. Cheap on eBay great shaver.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

'65 G-Slim likes this.
  3. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

I have to agree with Andrew here. I think his wants (as you described) lead to an option of a Gillette slim, Gillette fatboy, or a Gillette aristocrat. All are GREAT shavers that will last a lifetime.

I would recommend a Gillette slim, unless he likes a heavier razor (then go with the Fatboy). The slim is about half the price of the other two, plus it would leave room for a Gillette tech as well.

The Gillette tech is the longest production razor, and with good reason. It is low cost, mild, and gives a great shave. It is not TTO, but when it comes time to clean...he will appreciate that fact. 3 piece razors, such as the tech, are incredibly easy to clean...TTOs...not so much.

You can get a solid Gillette slim for 25 and a tech for 10. For 35 bucks, he would be set for life.

4. cliffb599

cliffb599 Well-Known Member

I have heard good things about this razor also. [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

If you are looking at vintage there are a few are very nice for sensitive skin, TTO and won't break the bank.

My personal favorites are:

Gillette 1940's Super Speed
    Gillette Flare
    Gillette Milord
    Gillette Slim
    Gillette Fat Bay

They are constructed of plated brass in gold or nickel; been in use for 70 to 80 years still going strong and looking great.

They can be found in many locations on the web obviously on ebay, but I would encourage you to look at the Classifieds here on TSD. There are many fine member that are very willing to help you find that razor that will make him very happy.

God bless

6. '65 G-Slim

'65 G-Slim Well-Known Member

I've got fairly sensitive skin, and this works best for me...'41 Ranger Tech...
    [​IMG]

Enrico likes this.
  7. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I agree, that's why I picked the ones I did. They all derive from the 41 Ranger (except the Slim and Fat Boy).

8. Steve C

Steve C Active Member

The razor I had years ago, opened up in the middle and the two sides opened like a mouth.

The one that I bought recently, the top piece comes off completely.

Which do you think is more user-friendly

RyX likes this.
  9. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Neither. All DE is pretty mild. Just pick any razor and master it. The key to success does not lie in gear selection. Pick the one you think looks cool, and stick with it.

RyX and swarden43 like this.
  10. Steve C

Steve C Active Member

I kinda "like" the ones that open to the outside, rather than the ones that come apart.

Any modern recommendations that are balanced well, and have a decent amount of weight????

11. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Those are known as TTO...twist to open. The modern ones are generally based on older styles I think. The only modern one I have used is a VDH. Not really heavy though.

12. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Muhle R89 with a heavy handle option. Good middle of road aggressiveness. User friendly and easy to find online. It's a 3pc.

In TTO the Parker options are best for heft.

But I must ask, why do you think you need heft?

13. Stu929

Stu929 Well-Known Member

Would you mind sharing his birthday? The group may be able to help you find a birthyear for him. Not sure if that would be appealing to him but many try to find one as a novelty.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Paul6506 likes this.
  14. Steve C

Steve C Active Member

"His" (my) birthday is March/1957 (presuming you are talking about moi).

15. entropy1049

entropy1049 Well-Known Member

Is a vintage adjustable ok? If so, Slim or Fatboy. For your budget you could easily find a vintage Slim or Fatboy that looks like new and is built to last for another 60 years.

Slim:
    [​IMG]

Fatboy:
    [​IMG]

For a great Birth Quarter/Year razor, look for a "C-1" date coded Flare Tip Super Speed:
    [​IMG]

If you're set on modern,
    Parker:
    [​IMG]

My recommendation? The vintage Gillette. Great shavers that are built like tanks and ooze nostalgia. The Adjustable may appeal to you if you think you may ever want to dial in the aggressiveness/mildness of your shave...

Last edited: Jul 26, 2017
    RyX, Jayaruh and Linuxguile like this.
  16. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Flare tip Super Speed is a great razor! I have at least four.:D Best bang for your buck; meaning they are usually sold for an inexpensive price.

Slims and Fat Boys are also great razors. These are a little more sought after so prices are a bit more.

RyX likes this.
  17. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I do like the looks of that Parker.

18. entropy1049

entropy1049 Well-Known Member

It is actually a really nice looking razor. Visually more appealing than the Super Speed to me, but that old Super Speed is bank-vault solid!

19. Stu929

Stu929 Well-Known Member

I was talking to the OP but Im pretty sure I have a Birth Year and Qtr for you! Lol

20. Stu929

Stu929 Well-Known Member

You are this Fiance we are hearing of?

riverrun likes this.