Help me Pick a razor

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by LilWolfe27, Jul 24, 2017.

1. jwr3265

jwr3265 Well-Known Member

I agree with this. Not TTO but an incredible razor for the $$.

cliffb599 likes this.
  2. LevelupShaves

LevelupShaves Well-Known Member

I can't believe it hasn't been put out there but the Edwin Jagger DE89 is a great razor. It's a 3 piece but it's an amazing shaver and at $27 it's right in your budget. Another great option is the Murkur 34C it definitely has the heft and at $30 it's also in the budget but it's a two piece.
    Lastly there's the Vintage Gillette SS which plenty of people have pointed out. It's nice but quite mild in my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RyX, Bama Samurai and FaceScraper like this.
  3. Steve C

Steve C Active Member

Bought the Parker 22R TTO Butterfly from Shave Nation yesterday.

No, that response came from me (birthday), and she (my wife) is not my "Fiancé."

RyX, Bama Samurai and FaceScraper like this.
  4. Steve C

Steve C Active Member

Looks like Star Safety Razors were the first razors built and sold in the United States by the Kampfe brothers, around 1875.

Anyone know if that company still exists, or if they still manufacture razors, or if any of those original razors from around that time are still in use?

5. riverrun

riverrun Well-Known Member

Kampfe Bros. were bought by the American Safety Razor Co. in 1919.
    Ultimately they are now known as Personna.
    Vintage Star/Kampfe razors are definitely still in use by some of us...

Last edited: Jul 29, 2017
  6. Steve C

Steve C Active Member

7. Triplemilled

Triplemilled Member

Go with the Parker 87R its everything he's looking for, it's such a nice razor and looks vintage. Plus they are on the nicer side of your budget.

8. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

There are a number of modern TTO razors out there mainly from India and China that may meet your criteria. IMO if you want a solid, inexpensive(not cheap) TTO the Feather is the way to go. It was one of my first TTO purchase's they are great performers, lightweight but feel solid in hand and give a good shave.
    If you want a really nice TTO and don't mind going vintage, doing research, some hunting on ebay and possibly spending more money you may want to check out a 47-48 Gillette Aristocrat or possibly one of the vintage Adjustable Gillette's(Fatboy,Slim or Super Adjustable).

All this being said my personal choice that would meet most of your criteria would be a 3 piece safety razor. There are many brands to choose from(Edwin Jagger, Muhle, Parker, RazorRock etc). I think the EJ89 would be a great starter for him, it's a wonderful safety razor, well made and at an affordable price. Plus a 3 piece gives you handle changing options.

Good luck on your search..:)

9. Stu929

Stu929 Well-Known Member

I have a FatBoy or Black Beauty we could easily fit into that price range. Its a user not a collector but this forum has been very helpful to me I like to do the same.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

10. Steve C

Steve C Active Member

Was only interested in the EBay item for the collectibility factor; not use. I already have the razor I like.

11. BigMark83

BigMark83 [...........] this space intentionally left blank

I'd say try to get a NOS Krona at a decent price. Try eBay, but try to get the seller down to a reasonable price. I wouldn't pay more than forty to forty five dollars for one. Im partial to that razor though.

12. entropy1049

entropy1049 Well-Known Member

The Krona is one of the most underrated shavers in the DE world. Love that razor...

13. BigMark83

BigMark83 [...........] this space intentionally left blank

It most definitely is. Lab Blue, GSB, SI, are all great blades to pair it with.