** HELP NEEDED ** - information on unusual #66 'Traveller' Set

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Mark1966, Jun 8, 2012.

1. Mark1966

Mark1966 Well-Known Member

A fellow Aussie B&B member (thanks Shaun!) recently gave me first look at this little set as he was after some more information on it -

[​IMG]

I suggested that it looked like an after market traveller type set, hey, what is that razor though....

[​IMG]

It is pigskin and made in Australia

[​IMG]

Yes, it IS a #66 - and a NOS Gillette brush. An interesting find, very interesting but...

[​IMG]

It still does look like one of those after market sets, although with a NOS Gillette brush and a #66, odd really. Gillette always put its name to it's sets in my experience

[​IMG]

but hang on, what is that...

[​IMG]

The Gillette logo!

This one is a mystery. We can't find any info on it. The blades are C3 (1957) so they fit the date for the #66 and it does have the Gillette logo - so it should be genuine. It is definitely any Aussie production.

Given it's heritage I had to take one for the team and keep it in OZ - it is on its way to me now!

If anybody has any other information on this set it would be very gratefully received - would love to know more

Conrad1959 and IAmTheJody like this.
  2. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

I got no info but plenty of envy Mark. Awesome find indeed.

Mark1966 likes this.
  3. Mark1966

Thanks Bob.

I posted this thread over at B&B and somebody pointed out an earlier thread that the other Aussie had posted. You can look at it here.

So it seems there were a few similar sets but nothing on this one in particular.

4. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

Very nice score! A set I've never seen before. Have you sent mr-razor a PM? Not everything in his collection is on his web site so he may know something about this one.

Mark1966 likes this.
  5. Mark1966

I've already sent him a PM from another site :)

What would we do without him!

PLANofMAN and IAmTheJody like this.
  6. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    We would have to make do with Jody.:angry017:
    But of course, he is only the second most qualified Gillette razor expert out there. ;) Which means Mr. Razor's collection is only slightly bigger. I expect Jody to pass him in a couple years if he can't get his RAD's under control.

7. IAmTheJody

Naw, I'm probably not even in the top 25 in collection size. There are others way ahead of me, like Achim, Jake and probably even Mark himself - and a few others from other forums. There's this one cat across the forum street who seems to have a never ending supply of money and in a year's time, I think he's went from newb to power-collector. My motto in collecting: Quality, not quantity. I'm more refined and selective in what I buy whereas people like him buy everything they can find. Then there's those that don't use the forums at all, a couple whom I've had the pleasure of talking to before - some very big collectors who own uber-rare things like 1903 Gillette double-ring razors originally sold in the plain ole generic white box and didn't blink an eye at paying a couple grand for it.

But while I can't compete in collection size, I'll put my Gillette knowledge up against most of 'em any day. :D

8. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

Thats a nice set, bonus for us that some one on here got it, thanks for sharing:)

9. emmijack

emmijack Well-Known Member

Very nice indeed, I love old sets like that, looks like it's in excellent condition!!!!

10. Mark1966

Yeah, don't you have a couple of those? ;).

I've got about 180 in my collection cabinet plus Techs plus about 40 odd that I've yet to clear, sort and store away. You can check out some pics of what the stash looked like at the start of the year in my introduction thread here. Jody has some much nicer sets than I have though - he has some real beauties! :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

:wave:

IAmTheJody likes this.
  11. Mark1966

BTW - had a reply from Mr-Razor - he has not seen before and has no information :(

12. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

The force is strong with this one.

[​IMG]

byrd and IAmTheJody like this.
  13. IAmTheJody

That's unfortunate. Well my friend, you can be satisfied knowing you have a super nice Gillette kit that no one has seen before except the person you bought it from, the person he bought it from and its original owner. :)

Mark1966, burnout961 and GDCarrington like this.
  14. Mark1966

Which is nice but having some more information, an advert maybe, would be super nice!

IAmTheJody likes this.