Help or advice ?

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by Grant, Aug 18, 2011.

1. Grant

Grant Active Member

I have always used Off the shelf Soap !

What would you guys suggest ?

And why !

I shave with Wilk sticky, British rocket , Black beauty adj (usa), or slim long blue handled (British)

Any Advice ?

Thanks G.

PS. I may have to share what ever i buy with my mrs Who has just Started using my razors ! :shocked003:

2. Brian

Brian Active Member

I use a hybrid of Williams Mug soap and a glycerin soap. The lather explodes when you hit it with a boar, I always get a fantastic shave when I use it.

Take a puck of Williams and grate it into a mug, do the same with the glycerin and place in the microwave or in a double boiler to melt (if using a microwave DO NOT let it on for more than 8-10 seconds at a time). When the glycerin is melted (the Williams will not due to it being tallow based) stir, and let reform.

Then ENJOY! Very little work for a wonderful shave.

3. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

I have only bought a handful of artisan type soaps:

TSD Soap - solid performer, infinite variety of scents, supports TSD.
    Susies Bubbles - lots of interesting scents
    The Gentleman's Quarter - great product, no longer made
    Nana June's - great glycerin soap, no longer made, I bought the last of her inventory
    Honey Bee Spa - my first glycerin soap, Brut type, very nice

Noteworty "off the shelf" soaps (in an area where such things exist)

E.J. Sea Buckthorn - great scent, skin care
    Klar Kabinett - great scent, skin care (if you can find it anywhere)

4. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Not a soap, but a cream that I enjoy is TOBS Avocado. It has a light scent, is easy to lather, and is very moisturizing.

For soaps, I am essentially a one trick pony. I take a couple Arko shave sticks and cram them in a mug. The sticks are inexpensive yet perform well over their price point. If you can get past the scent (mellows with age), they are a bargain.

5. Grant

Grant Active Member

Sorry By by off the shelf I mean " Drug Store soap's " like boot's drug store stuff !

But I do have an OLD SPICE Shave bowl Unused brand new in it's box sitting on my shelf . Use it or not ? :sick007:

6. Regan

Regan Well-Known Member

Well I have no idea what is available in drug stores in the UK. But I do love me some TOBS. MMM great lather and all around great soap/cream/aftershave/deodorant etc.

7. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Use it, unless you think you'll get a couple thousand dollars out of it a few years from now.

As for soaps, there are a ton out there, and I would put TSD soaps right up there with the best of 'em.

8. Williams Warrior

Williams Warrior Well-Known Member

I like the Palmolive stick very much, as well as the Wilkinson Sword stick, both readily available in stores all over the UK. Right?

9. Slivovitz

Slivovitz Well-Known Member

I wouldn't suggest anything in particular if you're already getting good results. I think most of us, at some point, start trying some of the many soaps that we've read about here or on other forums. It's just to see what other people are talking about, and see if you're missing out. It really depends on how much this interests you. Don't count on being able to tell the difference ten minutes after the shave is over, but then again, you just might. Other people seem more sensitive to the moisturizing properties of soaps than I am, or think that certain soaps protect them better than others. Some people are really into all the available scents, others don't care all that much. There's no specific soap that's a "must try" as far as I'm concerned. Just try something that seems interesting and affordable to you.

Mind you, I do like the variety of my current stock, but there are a lot of things I haven't tried, and I'm no longer interested in buying anything else. Never tried any French soaps, for example, or a number of well known brands.

Do try that vintage Old Spice, though, it's good stuff. There's a case for leaving an unused razor permanently unused; it has properties that can be appreciated just by looking at it. The only way to appreciate an unused soap, though, is to use it.

Unless, as Steve says above, you think you can sell it at a profit.

stingraysrock likes this.
  10. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Grant, do this, go to Connaught shaving at: connaughtshaving.com .
    See what he has to offer. Since he is in England, you should be able to find some ideas of what you can find in stores. I know he handles a lot of items we cannot get Stateside.
    BTW, with his brand of service, you may just decide to skip the store bought route. His service is exceptional.

Good fortune.

stingraysrock likes this.
  11. herzi

herzi Active Member

I think Erasmic bowl is worth a recommendation in England. Why? Nice scent and a good soap.

crackstar likes this.
  12. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

Genau!

13. Regan

Regan Well-Known Member

from a quick glance at his site some of his products that seem to constantly get good reviews are...

Dr.Harris (expensive though)
    Erasmic
    Ingram
    Irish Moos
    Nivea
    Palmolive
    Proraso
    Speick

for soaps...

MWF
    Cella
    Dr.Harris
    Erasmic
    Irish Moos
    Palmolive
    Proraso
    Speick
    Tabac
    TOBS

So... you have many choices.:happy093:

Not sure wether you prefer soaps/creams But i would try some of the ones I listed, as they seem to be loved and used by many wet shavers. It is tough to recommend a soap/cream as they are made from different ingredients as well ad different scents. Could get some samples from his store and then decide from there what you want to try a full container of.

14. techjunkie

techjunkie Member

I think Martin de Candre now has reduced price shipping to Europe if you want a truly top-notch soap. (Still way expensive to the U.S.)