Help selecting a safety razor.

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Rusty blade, May 27, 2015.

1. Rusty blade

Rusty blade The Good Humor Man

I am new to the terminology of DE safety razors and I am a bit lost on the names of the different styles. I recently found a Gillette Travel tech in a thrift store. I really like the style of the Travel Tech….you unscrew the handle, remove the plate and insert the blade, screw the handle back in and Bob's your uncle. What is this style of razor called? I would like to purchase a newer version of the Travel Tech style of safety razor with a full size handle. Any suggestions?

Also, how is this style different from the butterfly style? Is one better than the other?

Mr. Shaverman likes this.
  2. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    That would be a three piece razor. The Edwin Jagger DE89 would be a good start.

BigMark, wristwatchb and PatrickA51 like this.
  3. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    Butterfly razors are considered one piece razors even though they have many parts.

Is one better than the other? Yes. The one you like best.

wristwatchb and PatrickA51 like this.
  4. Rusty blade

Thanks Jim...that is helpful...next question: what is the difference between closed comb and open comb with DE razors?

PatrickA51 likes this.
  5. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    Gillette NEW is an open comb. It has teeth. new_replate2.jpg
    Gillette Fat Handle Tech is closed comb. It has a smooth safety bar.
    fht13.png

spacehobo, wristwatchb and PatrickA51 like this.
  6. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
  7. Rusty blade

I checked the threads you suggested, but it still doesn't answer my basic question: how are they different in terms of shaving? Are open comb razors more "aggressive" and the closed comb razors less so?

8. PatrickA51

PatrickA51 Well-Known Member

:signs011:

Jim has said it all. If you follow his advise you can't go wrong. :happy088:

9. PatrickA51

PatrickA51 Well-Known Member

10. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    It depends on the razor. I have open combs that are very aggressive, mildly aggressive, and just plain mild. It really depends on the razor. The same goes for closed bar razors. It depends on its gap and blade exposure which varies from razor to razor. The EJ DE89 is a rather mild razor that is a great starter razor. I will let others add their wisdom.

11. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    I forgot to include the adjustables which tend to be closed bar razors. They range from mild to aggressive in the same razor.

12. Rusty blade

Thanks Jim..that is helpful. I think for the sake of my limited blood supply I will start with a milder razor...

spacehobo and PatrickA51 like this.
  13. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    In that case, I would suggest the Ed Jagger DE89. It comes in a variety of handles that are all long, and the head is very forgiving. It is also a beautiful razor.

Best shaves to you Rusty.

PatrickA51 likes this.
  14. droberts0503

droberts0503 Well-Known Member

I always recommend the Lord L6 as a great starter. It's very cheap, doesn't look all that impressive and is light, but it shaves well and is very forgiving. I don't think there are many that can rival it for value.

spacehobo likes this.
  15. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

If you actually purchased the travel Tech, you bought IMO one of the "perfect" starter DE razors. Except for truncated handle, that's a PITA. Fortunately, there are few handles out there that will not fit that head.

PatrickA51 likes this.
  16. Rusty blade

I checked the acronyms and abbreviations like you suggested...but PITA was not in the list!

PatrickA51 likes this.
  17. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    He had me going to. "Pain In The Arse."

PatrickA51 likes this.
  18. bnccna2

bnccna2 Well-Known Member

Not sure if you are joking or not....

Omaney and PatrickA51 like this.
  19. Rusty blade

LOL...thanks, now I get it. I am not used to "internet speak".:happy093:

PatrickA51 and bnccna2 like this.
  20. DEfettish

DEfettish Well-Known Member

I would agree with Jayaruh. I started out with a Edwin Jagger DE89. It is a very forgiving razor but does a great job. I can get a BBS (baby butt smooth) shave in three passes. Another great thing about these is that they can be bought for around $35 on Amazon or eBay.

spacehobo likes this.