Help selecting a safety razor.

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Rusty blade, May 27, 2015.

1. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    They are no different in terms of the shave; however, an open comb razor can handle 3 days of beard growth better than a closed comb razor.

It's one of the reasons I prefer the Cooper MonoBilt. It's a one piece open comb razor that shaves like a Gillette Superspeed flare tip.

spacehobo and Bama Samurai like this.
  2. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

I would reccomend EJ89, Muhle r89, Gillette ball end Tech, and Utopia. They are all mild safety bar razors.

On the TTO/Butterfly side....Flare Tip SS is pretty much the standard.

But all that said...the EJ89/R89 and its many clones are almost ideal for learning.

spacehobo likes this.
  3. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

Yeah, they are just different tools for different jobs. An OC is good for thick growth, it's not necessarily more aggressive unless you're using it when you have little growth. If you're new to DE razors, skip it for now.

I'll suggest Merkur for a good 3 piece.

spacehobo likes this.
  4. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    Over the years, I've been surprised at some of the razors that people claim are aggressive or mild.

It's been my experience that most normal vintage razors (90% at least) are not aggressive shavers, but they can be perceived as aggressive if an incorrect shaving angle is used. That angle can vary widely from razor to razor.

Using a blue tip (light), standard flare tip, and a red tip (heavy) superspeed was quite the learning experience for me, and taught me the real difference in feel between mild and aggressive razors.

spacehobo, Omaney and Jayaruh like this.
  5. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

If you like your Travel Tech but not the handle, why not just buy or try a different handle?

6. Rusty blade

Rusty blade The Good Humor Man

Thanks gents for the suggestions/ideas. I think I will try the EJ89...seems to be the preference for many. And I know where I can pick up a longer handle for my travel tech. Nice way to start a collection.

7. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

This is the razor you should get ---> *click*

8. markjnewcomb

markjnewcomb Well-Known Member

Good point.

Virtually any 3 piece DE razor's handle will fit on any other 3 piece DE razor.

9. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Well said, Ryan.:happy088:

PLANofMAN likes this.
  10. maltedmilk

maltedmilk Well-Known Member

Article Team

You've received a lot of good advice here... probably more than you can digest until you've done the reading homework that Steve gave you above. If you are a research kind of guy, it will be fun. On the other hand, if you are a "just jump in" kind of guy, then I offer my current opinion (which is worth half of what you've paid for it!). ;)

As of this week, my top-of-the-list "just do it" razor for noobs is the Maggard MR6 with the "closed comb" head (aka safety bar). It is currently $23.95, so a tad cheaper than the Edwin Jagger (which is an excellent razor and would serve you well!). You can buy just the MR6 handle for 19.95, but for $4 more... The handle is outstanding! Anyway, here's some more TSD resources for the MR6.

• @SRNewb offers a video review >here<
    • I recently blathered a bit about how much I like the MR6 >here<. (I can't believe it took me a year to finally buy the MR6! So many more razors than I have money! Stupid RAD... :angry019:)
    • Last year, some of us made our best recommendations on low-cost starter setups >here<

Though the research is a lot of fun, there is no way for you to know how the water feels until you jump in. Dipping your toe in is no real indication, either!

Good luck... and let us know your decision!
    Sean

SRNewb likes this.
  11. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

With proper technique and care most safety razors are actually pretty mild, to a certain extent it's a matter of perception. Many times it's the blade being used and not the razor that's aggressive. But of course there are always those few razors that are just mean!! :) In the end it will be up to your face to decide which safety razor and blade it prefers.

IMO the EJ89 is one of the top performers out there especially for the price and is a good choice. Not overly aggressive but very efficient. However as @Omaney has pointed out you already actually have a wonderful razor in the tech. It's a 3 piece so changing handles(for length, weight and knurling) is easy as most other 3 piece handles(vintage or modern) will fit. The shave head is very much the same as the EJ, but IMO the Gillette has a quality advantage over the EJ in that the Gillette has a solid brass handle and head, while the EJ head although well made and very nicely finished is still made of zamac(pot metal).
    In fact if you check carefully you will find that "most" modern DE's have heads of either pot metal or if your willing to pay for it stainless steel.

So for what its worth here's a list of safety razors I've used and found mild, but effective:
    Merkur 34C Heavy Duty
    EJ89
    Gillette Fat Handled Tech(all the tech heads are good only the handles are different)
    Parker 97R
    Sabi T2
    Weber SS w/DLC head. Pricey but still one of the best deals around for SS.

Open Combs
    Gillette "NEW" LCOC(vintage)
    Cadet OC(modern)

SE's
    Ever Ready 1924 "Shovelhead"
    Gem 1912

I hope this helps some..:)

12. Rusty blade

Rusty blade The Good Humor Man

This is all excellent advice. I never realized how much there was to know about DE razors. Over time I will likely pick up a few. Thanks again everyone!

13. jamespasini69

jamespasini69 Well-Known Member

I have a 1918 Gillette and a new muhle R89. They are basically built the same. They work like the travel. The tto or butterfly has a knob on the bottom of the handle. You twist the knob and top opens, and you place blade on.. Close by turning handle...some say the butterfly razors don't keep even pressure on blades.

14. Albert Hui

Albert Hui Active Member

I'm another one who started with an Edwin Jagger. The DE89 is a great starter (and seasoned wet shaver) razor. Make sure you get a blade sampler pack with whatever razor you decide on. It still astounds me how a different brand of blades can make a razor feel completely different. But it is true. My DE87 goes from a joy to use to causing me irritation based on the brand of blade.

15. GeneralKinetics

GeneralKinetics Well-Known Member

I would get that Gillette Travel Tech and start with that. I personally find it far more intuitive and efficient than an Edwin Jagger DE89.

16. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

I think you already have a very nice 3 piece.....and if you want something different, maybe easier and faster to load....Then grab a Super Speed....all of them are on the mild side....When I first made the scene here on the 'boards', the vintage Super Speeds ruled as everyones starter....or a Gillette Adjustable....Set it at #3 and leave it til you get you shave chops together...Then its like having 9 razors in one.....All the Gillette Adjustables are great....the Slim or Super are probably your best buys dollar for dollar these days, but they are all great shavers, it's just the Toggles and Fatboys have gotten so expensive....

Personally, I also feel very strongly about enjoying the 'Vintage' route.....For many reasons on many levels....

clint64 and PLANofMAN like this.
  17. Shavington

Shavington Member

Does the Cooper take standard DE blades or does it take a specific blade?

18. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    The Cooper "fliptop" MonoBilt takes standard DE blades. A common mistake I see people make with this razor is they tuck one end of the blade under the spring, which warps the blade. They then assume that it takes proprietary blades. The blade is supposed to sit on top of the spring.

I'll try to remember to take some pictures to show what I'm talking about. @GDCarrington posted an excellent video on the MonoBilt in a Cooper MonoBilt thread here.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2015
  19. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Shotwell's photo of a Cooper Monobilt

http://theshaveden.com/forums/threa...r41-hybrid-or-closed-combs.40529/#post-725879

My photo of a Cooper Monobilt

http://theshaveden.com/forums/threa...rid-or-closed-combs.40529/page-11#post-732173