HELP! The brushes are invading (pic heavy)

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by Mark1966, May 4, 2012.

1. Mark1966

Mark1966 Well-Known Member

Well as you all know first were these two:

[​IMG]

but these guys were a bit rough and, well, a disappointment. So they invited some cousins over:

[​IMG]

then great grand pappy arrived:

[​IMG]

Bit of a scrub and they look pretty swish these guys:

[​IMG]

Next thing know there is a knock on the door, the posh cousin from up the hill arrives:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Things are going, OK then the mad uncle arrives:

[​IMG]

Talk about scruffy, not sure he will be around long.

Things improve when the twins turn up:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

I know that they are not identical twins but they are great conversationalists.

Finally the little lady arrives:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Beautiful isn't she?

I believe that there are two more cousins on the way. Not sure where we will put them. It could be getting a little crowded now.

Think I've got a little work to do with these too, some need a few rough edges knocked off their behaviour, others really could do with a clean and as for those haircuts - don't get me started!

BTW - I 'blame' GD Carrington for this invasion, I just hope my results are as good as his here and elsewhere!

2. Turk

Turk Well-Known Member

A story well told. I enjoyed the pics.

Mark1966 likes this.
  3. tomnat

tomnat accepting applications

Wow! you have a big family. Nice brushes, Mark. Very nice.

4. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

Nice brushes..good story..was quite engrossing. And golly that uncle sure made me nervous!.:Animatedfrozensmily:

Mark1966 likes this.
  5. Hanzo

Hanzo Well-Known Member

I believe you can buy a new sticker for you Simpson's direct from the company.

6. fishcrow

fishcrow Birdman of TSD

Wow very impressive family of brushes.

7. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Nice. I do like how you've made it a family affair!

8. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

I am to be blame for all of this, then I accept it gracefully.

Nice set of brushes. Now on to the issue of knots! :signs136:

9. Mark1966

Thanks, and thanks to others for the comments. The family metaphor seemed appropriate given the common heritage for many of them.

YEP, me too. nasty looking thing!

yes, and they will re-knot too, for a price. It is an 18mm knot so I will send it back to them to get done, once I've saved my pennies.

You were certainly one of the inspirations, for which I thank you!

The twins and the lady will be subject to a TGN hairlift in due course me things after I practice on one of the first that arrived:

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

I used the steaming trick for the knot removal and the black section has some white areas on it from the steam. I'll see if those clean off. The knot doesn't seem to have been 'set' (see lingo like a pro!) that deep unless what I'm seeing is the glue base after the hair has been removed. I have a Dremel somewhere so presume that I just grind it down to set it deeper.

Of course this is the babbling of somebody with no knowledge so I'll be doing some research first. The posh cousin looks almost unused. I'm not sure what there old knots are like though and whether to just replace it anyway.

The aim is probably to keep a couple and give the others away as gifts to some mates I got started in this caper.

Thanks guys!

GDCarrington likes this.
  10. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

Very nice, I like old brushes.

Mark1966 likes this.
  11. johnus

johnus Well-Known Member

To have a decent rotation, I think you really need to keep acquiring!!:)-). at least 4 more!

12. Mark1966

Well there are two more coming and I have a Chubby 1 and a Milk Churn as well as my travel brush - do they count?

johnus likes this.
  13. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

PLANofMAN and Mark1966 like this.
  14. Sodapopjones

Sodapopjones Well-Known Member

While the sticker types will defer, just PM/tweet Mark and he will gift you with a sticker, too bad he wont gift you a free knot lol.

15. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

Mark, the blue Ever Ready 88 should be usable if you are feeling up to it. Just give it a good washing in some shampoo and make sure there isn't any "biology" in it and you should be good. Pretty good latherers, those old boars.

Have fun, and don't forget that if you wanted to, you could always recess a magnet into the handle and hang those suckers all over the place.

wlmcad, Mark1966 and GDCarrington like this.
  16. Mark1966

Yes, I've cleaned the knot in the Simpson 41 and tried it and will do the same with the posh cousin I think. It is a boar then, I'd not given the knot type any thought. This is very cool as my Semogue broke not all that long ago and I've been wanted to get around to replacing it but just haven't

Nice idea with the magnet too!

17. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

Nice family you've got there!
    I'm prettily charmed by the mad uncle! Apart from his unisual haircut he's got some great style about him!

18. Mark1966

Well it had to happen, more of the family arrived today.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

At least these ones brought their own accommodation and room was running out. The Made Rite is in good condition, the Ever Ready seems to have a (stable) crack through the red base.

I believe that this is the last of the family to arrive - at least for now!

tomnat and GDCarrington like this.
  19. Mark1966

Well it has been a while but it seems that the second cousins have been invited over

A couple of the girls with nice hour-glass figures:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

A butterscotch Simpson M1:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

An unbranded butterscotch beauty (Best Badger London Made Sterilized):

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

All of them need a bath and probably a haircut. Not sure of the heritage of the last one. Probably not a Simpson but another UK maker - happy to be given any information on it.

Must get to cleaning and restoring some of these!

battle.munky likes this.
  20. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Well, some people claim that the brushes really come with rabbit hair with the proclivity to breed and all.

It looks as if you have some work to do.

BTW: My nest has also had that breeding disorder so you are not alone!

Great haul!

battle.munky and Mark1966 like this.