Help with ATG shaving

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by Grayson2014, Aug 30, 2015.

1. Grayson2014

Grayson2014 New Member

Hey guys, first i want to say thanks for the warm welcome joining this forum. I feel like I will alot from you Sages of wet shaving, :yoda. One technique that gives me alot of trouble is ATG shaving just on my mustache. I normally do 2-3 passes on my face and going against the grain on my last pass is fine and comfortable on every part of my face except my upper lip. Every time, and I mean every time, I cut myself using shaving ATG on my mustache. Im not sure if my angle is wrong or maybe the blades or if maybe that part of my skin is just too sensitive. Any tips, tricks or words of wisdom on angle or technique or whatever else you guys can think of would be greatly appreciated. Oh and I use a Merkur 34c with personna blades right now. Thank you for reading my rant and thanks for any wisdom you can give to me :lam:

2. MarshalArtist

MarshalArtist Psychiatric Help 5ยข

The 34c does that to me and some others too. This time you really can blame the equipment. If it doesn't work, don't do it. Shave with or across the grain.

3. Sir.$-Mad

Sir.$-Mad Well-Known Member

I normally do 2 passes. With, then across. On my neck I do against the grain on the 2nd pass and cheeks across. I used to do a 3rd pass against on the cheeks, but not anymore. No point having a BSS if I'm sporting a goatee. An alternative to an against pass would be going across the grain the other way.

4. RayC1993

RayC1993 Well-Known Member

You might be like me and your skin simply cant handle ATG shaving. I limit myself to 2 passes but sometimes do 3. I go WTG then XTG and that's normally good enough for a DFS. Or as you are still new it could be technique. If you are still having this problem down the road I would cut out the ATG pass and just do XTG in separate ways instead. Good luck and I'm sure you will get much better advice from others. As always YMMV.

Oh and :signs046:

5. Dzia Dzia

Dzia Dzia Entitled to whine

Many more years ago than I care to admit, as soon as I got out of army basic training, I stopped shaving my upper lip and grew a moustache.

Welcome to the Den.
    :signs046:

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  6. 90quattrcoupe

90quattrcoupe Well-Known Member

I have never owned a Merkur 34c, but looks to me to have a thick razor head. I had some trouble with my early SS, because the head is thick. When I got a 47/50s fat Tech the head it much thinner. Made shaving above the lip easier. I was also able to get those hairs at the nostrils better. Just something about that thinner head that makes it easier to use on the upper lip.

Greg W.

7. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

I get a very close shave on my mustache area every shave. it is definitely not a problem area for me.
    this is what I do;
    first pass. n-s all over face including this area
    second pass most of my face gets s-n, mustache area get nostril to corner of mouth. maybe a bit of blade buffing this area, on this pass.
    third pass; gets ear to nose, then ear to chin, then ear to Adam's Apple as I move down.
    this third pass seems to be mostly against the grain.
    I touch up as needed, but normally get great shaves with this procedure.
    so to the op, I actually shave my upper lip
    across
    with+ buffing
    across the other way.
    hope it helps you out

Hodge likes this.
  8. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    1) Try an oblique angle rather than straight ATG.
    2) Stretch your lip down over your teeth.
    3) Go easy. I have a similar sensitivity their.
    4) Make sure your lather is slick, slicker, slickest.
    Good Luck.

Hodge and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  9. Tallships

Tallships Well-Known Member

Always been a ATG shaver. Used most brands of razors including the 34c, the razor will do the job unless a longer handle fits you better. My technique with the upper lip is to stretch the lip with my tongue I even do it on lower lip too. It's not too difficult if you want to shave ATG. Don't over think the shave and take your time till you get the knack, it will come easy.

10. wmbjr

wmbjr Duck, duck, cooked goose!

ATG was the hardest for me to do on my mustache area too. I have two things that have really helped. First is a modified version of ATG in that I am going more diagonal but still mostly ATG. Second, and most important for me is stretching the mustache area as much as possible. For me, this means using my tongue to push my lip out as far as it will go and then shaving in small areas over where it is poked out. Otherwise, just take extra time and be patient. Good luck!

Billyfergie likes this.
  11. Grayson2014

Grayson2014 New Member

All this advice was great guys, its helped me a lot shaving my mustache. I hate to admit it but i think i just cant shave ATG on my mustache. But with this awesome forum i can reduce the stubble enough using across the grain method. Thanks for the help guys.

RaZorBurn123 and RayC1993 like this.
  12. Rusty blade

Rusty blade The Good Humor Man

I never enjoyed shaving my upper lip...so I grew a mustache. Sorry I can't be of more assistance...though I would recommend giving a mustache a try. ;)

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  13. Hodge

Hodge Well-Known Member

I ended up at the same conclusion. As long as I get the edge along my lip BBS, I can live with "close enough" for the rest.

14. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

When it comes to the top lip.... I find is that if it feels fine with some razor/blade combos and some others its a No, No.....:chores016:

Billy

15. Engblom

Engblom Well-Known Member

Especially when it comes to ATG, I see a big benefit of open combs with tiny gap between blade and comb. Safety bar razors can not go down to such gaps as they would clog. The mild open combs do not clog the same easily because of the comb design.

Billyfergie likes this.
  16. flaxton

flaxton Active Member

I am fine shaving the moustache area but I always bleed when shaving under my lower lip. I have tried with and against the grain. Same result every time. Small nicks.

17. Jasman

Jasman Well-Known Member

As folks have indicated, not everyone can shave ATG, particularly in the mustache/goatee area where most of us have thicker growth. That said, one trick that may help is stretching the skin by pushing your tongue up between your teeth and upper (or lower) lip.