Help With Boar Brushes

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by john zeiger, Mar 31, 2018.

1. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

My Zenith sheds 2-7 per shave. I've used it many many times, and don't abuse it. I think the problem is some of the brush makers are using cheaply glued Chinese knots. I had a couple of Burma Shave boars that felt great, but came apart in clumps after a while.
    I had a Whiped Dog Boar knot do the same, and Larry swapped it out. I've been using the new one for a while, and it is still shedding. Tic toc tic toc.
    Now, my Omega, and Semogues are all non-shedder boars.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2018
    RyX, Keithmax and john zeiger like this.
  2. john zeiger

john zeiger Well-Known Member

Thank you Jar. Mine has been shedding a little longer that. I hope it stops as I like the brush but I am getting concerned with the shedding. I bought it about a year ago used it a little and broke it in by soaking it in cold water for 2 days in the refridgerator (something I read on the net somewhere) and then when it wasn't performing (because I wasn't using it properly) I stopped using until this morning. Its shed from the beginning on. Now I am getting a little worried about it.

3. john zeiger

Thank you DaltonGang, luckily I do have a Semogue 620 which I will try tommorow. I'm not writing the Zenith off yet but if it continues to lose bristles at this pace I won't have a brush left. Its too bad because I like the Zenith as the bristles seem narrower and softer (at least at this point) as a result. I bought the Zenith from a guy on EBay from Ohio (I think) who imports them to the US.

4. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

Both boar brushes that I have require a much longer loading time then my Badgers and Synthetics.

john zeiger likes this.
  5. john zeiger

Thank you for responding Linuxguile, loading longer is one of the things I am working on with boars. I mostly use synthetics with a badger once in a while so I'm not used to loading so much soap. I'm working on it with my boars though.

Linuxguile likes this.
  6. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Some brushes if they were not combed out enough when made, will shed. This doesn't mean they're a bad brush or that the brush is facing a catastrophic failure; they just have some loose bristles that need to work them selves out. Usually stop within two to three weeks tops

That said, if they don't slow down to a stop or if they increase in loss you may have the dreaded mangey brush. This is only corrected by returning to vendor for refund, re-knot or both.

Jim99, Linuxguile and john zeiger like this.
  7. john zeiger

Thank you for thoughts Enrico. I hope it’s the former aad not the latter.

Enrico likes this.
  8. dangermouse

dangermouse Well-Known Member

This video might help. Do you have a natural brush that won't hold a lather? The SOC - Semogue Owners Club (Curse).

RyX, john zeiger, Jim99 and 1 other person like this.
  9. john zeiger

Thank you for the video post dangermouse. The Friendly Shaver (?) is one of the many You Tube videos that I regularly watch - though I've not seen this one before. My wife thinks I'm nuts for watching shaving videos but I've learned a lot from them. So, despite how she feels, I'll continue watching them. There is so much that I still need to learn about this hobby but I keep learning.

RyX and dangermouse like this.
  10. john zeiger

Just wanted to provide another update on my progress with my two boar brushes. I feel that todays shave was a total success thanks to all of you who provided input above. I used my Semogue 620 for todays shave. As with yesterday, I soaked the brush while I showered. Again I used Mike's Orange, Cedarwood and Black Pepper soap. But today I shook out less water (just one shake) and loaded even heavier. I had well more lather than I needed. It was a great 3 and one half pass shave with my Rockwell 6c and Personna Lab Blue blade. I did not need to go back to the puck as I did yesterday and had well more than enough lather. I finished the shave with Chatillon Lux - Delor de Treget aftershave splash.

With all of your help, I feel that I am starting to understand how to use my boar brushes. So thank you much to all who were so kind as to help me out with this. I feel like a kid with a new toy. Now I may need to start looking for another boar brush:)

11. dangermouse

Thanks John, for watching my channel from time to time. There is always much to learn about our hobby and that is what I find fascinating about it. All the best - Mark.

john zeiger and Linuxguile like this.
  12. john zeiger

Mark that is your channel? If so, I want to tell you that your shave videos are very well done - I really like your laid back style. I didn't realize I'm among celebrities:)

13. dangermouse

John, I'm almost blushing here; it is my channel. You're very kind, thank you. :) I have to say though, there are guys on this forum that have probably forgotten more about shaving than I've learned. This is where I came, as a beginner, to ask so many questions! Seriously, a lot. Everyone here has been fantastic. Have a great week.

RyX, john zeiger and Enrico like this.
  14. john zeiger

Mark, I agree with you that everyone here is fantastic. But, your videos have truly been helpful to me and I too hope you have a great week. My week has already been great as you and others in this thread have really helped me manage boar brushes.

RyX and dangermouse like this.
  15. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    We've both mentioned it on occasion, so it could have been either of us. Most likely it was GD. You are correct in your reasoning, though.

RyX and john zeiger like this.
  16. john zeiger

PLANofMAN thank you to you and GD, David did a nice job of explaining the method as it worked out great for me.