Help with STAR razor

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by deancostales, Oct 15, 2008.

1. deancostales

deancostales New Member

Hello everyone.. I have entered the Shave Den to get some help with identifying and trying to get some values on some razors and blades that I came across in the garage. Seem to be old and not sure of the values. If you can help please advise..

Attached Files:

2. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    That is an interesting razor indeed.

I'm sure the razor experts will be along soon.

3. JayKay

JayKay 3000 posts and all I got was this lousy title

They are interesting razors. Theres always a few on ebay but they never seem to fetch much. Maybe 10$ at auction. There are few DE/SE razors that will make you rich.

4. Single Wedge

Single Wedge New Member

That is a Star razor circa 1900. The bottom handle is a stropping handle for wedges. It will work with SEs. As for value anywhere from $20 - $60 depending condition.

5. JayKay

Didnt star make its own brand and type of SE blade that wasn't the same dimension as normal SE blades?

6. AsylumGuido

AsylumGuido New Member

That's a Star Lather Catcher

[​IMG]

7. tom myers

tom myers Member

Star Razor

I agree with everything you've said here, except I don't believe you can adjust this Kampfe Bros. Star to hold a modern type SE blade. I've tried it with one I have and cannot make it work. Maybe there is a trick to it that I've not found. :confused:

At some point Gem and Kampfe merged and they started to produce the 1900/1901 patent dated Gem razor with the Star name on it. That razor, like Gems and Ever Readys of this same 1900/1901 design, will work with a regular SE blade.

As a matter of fact, this 1900/1901 Gem is the razor I shave with every morning. For me, there is no better shaver than this. I also have one of the Stars of this design. It is identical to the Gem except for the trade marks stamped into it and also, the handle design is more like on the old Kampfe Bros. Stars.

Regards,
    Tom

8. AsylumGuido

AsylumGuido New Member

Here it is with the wedge blades in the case:

[​IMG]

9. tom myers

tom myers Member

Beautiful speciman, Guido. From the picture, even all the blades look to be in nice shape as well as the razor and case.

Regards,
    Tom

10. JayKay

That does look great Guido. I've always wanted to shave with removeable wedge blade but dont have the cash. Also I need to eventually try a single edge razor.

11. AsylumGuido

AsylumGuido New Member

12. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

Hey, that's a neat site! Thanks for sharing! :happy088

13. Gillette_Man

Gillette_Man New Member

You really should, they shave great and it won't break the bank even if you get one off eBay. I have 9, soon to be 10, Gem/Ever Ready razors (8 in cases), and I think the most I paid for any one of them was $15 shipped. I obtained the bulk of them for $10 or less.

14. deancostales

deancostales New Member

this is the Star in the case..

So this item with the two wedge blades should sell $20 - $60 on ebay? Thanks

Attached Files:

15. D.irving79

D.irving79 Gemocrat

that particular set should go for a fairly high amount.

16. Single Wedge

Single Wedge New Member

I agree with D here. If that is the complete set I would not be shocked to see it go for $100. It looks in good to great condition.

17. riffin

riffin Active Member

Shave World has an encyclopedia too. These two are my references for vintage razors.

18. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    What is that? A weekender/travel set or something?

19. tom myers

tom myers Member

I doubt that this was considered a travel set. Not all wedge blade razors were sold with the seven blades. This set was probably quite "normal" for a star in this type of box. they also often came packaged in a little tin can as was shown in the first picture that Guido posted.

The only thing I question about this boxed set of Deancostales' is whether it doesn't have a second piece to the handle and also perhaps the blade holder for stroping? Is this the same razor that was shown assembled in the picture in the original post? The handle extensions were shown in that original picture.

Regards,
    Tom

20. deancostales

deancostales New Member

Tom..

The two pictures are of the Star Razor I have.. The star razor is housed inside a black leather box shown in the second photo. The black leather box is inside a cardboard box with a lid and the box has a blue and red line pattern. This Star rszor also has the Stropping Machine that matches inside the another larger cardboard box with the matching blue and red line pattern on the box. The last part of the handle was inside the stropping machine box, but does fit into the end of the handle. Some photos online show the stropping handle attached to the razor handle as in my photo.

I really like that everyone has helped me in my hunt for information.

Thanks , Dean