Help with upper lip?

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by RayC1993, May 29, 2015.

1. RayC1993

RayC1993 Well-Known Member

So I have been Wet Shaving for a while now and have everything down pack except for my upper lip. No matter what I do I get irritation and cuts and a shave that is comparable to that of a butter knife. I do 3 passes WTG, XTG, and ATG. I am not sure what I am doing wrong or if it is the fact that around the corner of the lip the grain goes from straight down to straight out sideways. I think my prep is good (if anyone needs me elaborate on my prep just say so and I will include it) so not really sure what is going on but I am starting to thing about just growing the mustache out to combat having to deal with this everyday. Help please!

2. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

I keep a stiff upper lip.

Sorry

Actually I just go east to west and vice versa. Seems to work well.

3. ObiDon

ObiDon member in questionable standing

I never go ATG on my upper lip, as it gives me a lot of irritation. I do buff my upper lip to get close, but that is where I stop.

MPF9, Ijustmissedthe50s, Fup and 3 others like this.
  4. SHAVEWIZARD420

SHAVEWIZARD420 Well-Known Member

I WOULD AGREE WITH OBIDON. AGAINST THE GRAIN ON THE UPPERLIP COULD BE THE CAUSE OF THE IRRITATION.

5. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Are you re-lathering, or are you doing, "missed a spot, I'll just run the razor over that patch of fur."

Also the lip area seems to be more sensitive than the rest of the face. It's easy to end up using a tad bit more pressure than you were planning on. Try doing 3 WTG passes on your lip, instead of the WTG/ATG/XTG you were doing before.

6. RayC1993

I always re-lather. I will try the 3 WTG passes in the a.m. and see how it works. Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I figured it was time to ask for help when the wife asked why I didn't shave my upper lip this morning....:angry019:

crackstar, Bristle Me and ObiDon like this.
  7. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    [​IMG]
    What you should have said-
    "Don't worry about it."

Fup, Halvor, trey06dmd and 6 others like this.
  8. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    +1. I would consider a 2 pass shave on your most sensitives areas. I am not sure how long you have been using a DE, but the most sensitive areas demand the most secure and advanced technique. No pressure, keep the angle, prep the skin. Good Luck.

crackstar, PLANofMAN and RayC1993 like this.
  9. Rusty blade

Rusty blade The Good Humor Man

I consistently had trouble shaving my upper lip from when I started shaving as a teen...so I grew a moustache.

10. kurtmill

kurtmill Active Member

The upper lip is my biggest problem areas too.

crackstar likes this.
  11. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Works for me too.

crackstar and RayC1993 like this.
  12. RayC1993

Well no luck with the 3 passes WTG so Operation Furry Lip shall commence in the a.m.

PLANofMAN and crackstar like this.
  13. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Go east west and pull your cheek toward your ear with the off hand. This makes the upper lip taut and easier to shave.

tuxxdk and crackstar like this.
  14. RazorRookie

RazorRookie New Member

Some people recommend only going against the grain but surely that means you cant get anywhere near as close a shave? When I've tried this method it just doesnt cut it - literally, but maybe im not doing it correctly. Going against the grain makes sense because you get right under the hairs whereas with the grain you push them flat which makes it difficult, if not impossible to get a shave as close. Albeit at the expense of irritation (for some). I do start with the grain but its effect is limited it seems. Thoughts?

crackstar likes this.
  15. dbersh

dbersh Well-Known Member

I go WTH and then XTG from L to R and then XTG R to L. For me not worth the discomfort to do ATG and I still achieve DFS - BBS. As with all things shaving everyone's techinque to their own face is key, not what others do for the most part...my .02....

Last edited: May 31, 2015
    Fup and crackstar like this.
  16. Skinny Rogers

Skinny Rogers Well-Known Member

Also I'll add to make sure u map ur growth. I do a 3 pass shave daily wth/xtg/atg. But my hair grows downish in the middle starting to work its way out and down if that makes sense. So my razor path had to change to accommodate. Also no pressure whatsoever. Hope this helps.

17. Nicholasjh

Nicholasjh New Member

Okay I'm confused, I thought against the grain was opposite the direction of growth, Razorrookie is implying it's with the direction of growth? Which is correct? I just want to know that I'm reading advice correctly.

18. tuxxdk

tuxxdk International Penguin of Mystery

Yeah. That.

Bama Samurai likes this.
  19. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Against equals opposite direction of growth.

20. SmurfK

SmurfK Member

Never go ATG on my upper lip. I would probably be getting irritation if i do. I go mostly ATG and XTG, from outside of the lip to the inside, if that makes sense, so you will be diagonal somehow, a little ATG, but mostly WTG, but never from south to north. I never had problems this away, always getting BBS in that area.

Bama Samurai likes this.