Hen in the rooster cage.

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Eva_d, Mar 9, 2015.

1. Eva_d

Eva_d Active Member

Hey guys, for lack of finding a woman's forum for this sort of thing I'm at your mercy.... I ordered my first safety razor this morning after being dissatisfied with disposal options for women. Poor quality of shaving and ridiculous prices among my complaints. I'm excited about trying it out and have stalked all the men's forums on the topic keeping in mind that I am converting the knowledge from shaving your faces to shaving my legs if that makes sense. My question to you is... Do any of you have girlfriends/wives that use a razor like this? I'm a bit stumped as to what brand of blades I should try first. I have absolutely no idea where to begin. Any advice would be wonderful!

2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Hi Eva. Welcome to the Den.

My wife uses a vintage Gillette Lady Star razor and loves it. Uses standard double edge blades. I got her her own brush and soap and she lathers up like a champ!

We do have a forum dedicated to the ladies of TSD ---> *click*

3. americanshamrock

americanshamrock Let's Make a Deal! Staff Member

Welcome to the Den. I've been unable to get my wife to use a safety razor but she does enjoy the soaps, creams, and using her brush. Blade preference is a very subjective thing depending upon many factors such as skin/hair type. My advice would be to order a sampler pack of blades and find what works best for you. What razor did you order?

David Green and Eva_d like this.
  4. SDK

SDK it's his fault

Welcome- My wife also loves DE shaving. You will get plenty of help here.\

She has a $19 Cadet Open Comb razor loaded up with Gillette 7 o'clock yellow blades. A basic razor and blade sampler will get you started...

The soaps and creams are pretty much unisex. Just pick your scents...

GDCarrington and Eva_d like this.
  5. Eva_d

Eva_d Active Member

Thank you for the link! I can't believe I missed the ladies section here. Admittedly I didn't look here after not finding one on other sites... I gave up.
    I ordered a Weishi. I didn't want to make a big investment until I was sure I could handle it. I can always upgrade

6. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Glad to help. :)

Eva_d likes this.
  7. vwp528

vwp528 Well-Known Member

Welcome to The Den!

Eva_d likes this.
  8. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Douglas Carey and Eva_d like this.
  9. fimpster

fimpster Well-Known Member

Welcome! I think Weishi is a good starter razor. Very mild. You can get the razor and 5 or 10 blades for the price of two disposables. It's what I started with and I still like it.

10. MarshalArtist

MarshalArtist Psychiatric Help 5¢

This is the only forum I've seen where women feel comfortable participating as a full member and not just a vendor. I am glad to see you here. Welcome.

Daytonkb, GDCarrington and Eva_d like this.
  11. Eva_d

Eva_d Active Member

Thank you so much for your warm welcome! I'm glad I found you guys

12. PatrickA51

PatrickA51 Well-Known Member

Welcome aboard :signs046:

We are not all Crude Rude and Socially Unacceptable......Some of us give lessons though!:happy093:

Last edited: Mar 10, 2015
  13. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

Weishi is a good place to start. I have never used one, but they seem to be a good entry level razor. As for your question: I tried to convince an ex girlfriend to let me shave her legs. She declined. That's not why she's my ex, but still...

Eva_d likes this.
  14. Eva_d

Eva_d Active Member

Ryan, I'm not sure how I would feel about that either lol... Guess it would depend on the level of experience the guy had with a razor like this. Girls can't regrow parts if ya chop em off!

Douglas Carey likes this.
  15. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

You might want to take a look at some of the references contained in my signature line below for discussions of the 30 Day systems and more on hardware. There are threads devoted to the major groupings of razors and a free for all Gratuitous thread. Click on the one that says Razors and Blades and it will provide a lot of information. Brushes and other items are discussed in various threads as well. This will give you some areas to look over to see what might interest you.

16. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

I was gonna use a straight razor, but she said I had to shave my legs first before I shaved hers. Needless to say, she won.

17. Mister C

Mister C Member

The Micro One Touch at Wally World is actually a Weishi. I have one as a back up and for a travel razor. It ts very easy and forgiving to use. I agree it is a good one for a starter razor.

Eva_d likes this.
  18. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

My Schick Krona works well for my wife and daughter. Granted they've both shaved once. Long handle with a nice grip, on the mild side.
    image.jpg

Douglas Carey, GDCarrington and Eva_d like this.
  19. Eva_d

Eva_d Active Member

That's why I chose it. I saw the one(The micro one) at Walmart first in the as seen on TV section. I read the reviews, did my research and found the Weishi at a much lower price. Mind you it lacks a case, stand and fancy accessories but I wanted to try it out before I get fancy.

20. Eva_d

Eva_d Active Member

Lol.... I hope I get through more than "once"... I'm usually pretty committed for a while before I give up

Douglas Carey and RaZorBurn123 like this.