Hen in the rooster cage.

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Eva_d, Mar 9, 2015.

1. Jasman

Jasman Well-Known Member

:signs046::whacky024:

Eva_d likes this.
  2. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Oh you will. It's a good razor, might be one that'll work for you? I got my Schick for under $20.

3. Eva_d

Eva_d Active Member

I've got the razor choice taken care of for now unless I decide I don't like it for some reason. Shipping will take a week or so. Now I'm deciding on blades... It's proving to be a harder decision than I had guessed

4. Jasman

Jasman Well-Known Member

Bristle Me likes this.
  5. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Check out tryablade.com Jason is a really nice guy, you can buy one, or ten. And he has a good selection.

Bristle Me and Eva_d like this.
  6. GeneralKinetics

GeneralKinetics Well-Known Member

The Weishi is a good start. Check out TryABlade.com and look at the popular blades thare are between .15 and .30 each and build a sampler with a budget of $10. You'll find it hard to do. Have you chosen a brush and cream/soap? You should also check out

www.reddit.com/r/wicked_edge
    www.reddit.com/r/ladyshavers

My girlfriend pictured in my profile pic uses all my wetshaving gear for her beautiful leggies. She loves my 1970 Gillette Black Beauty, which is a TTO just like the Weishi. My blade recommendation is that if you grow a low-medium amount of leg hair and are starting out with a mild razor like the Weishi, try Astra SPs. There's alot of popular blades that are around that category, and if you fall in love with them, they're always $10 for 100 on Amazon Prime.

Another note: It takes enough shave cream to shave a guy's face about 3-4 times to do leggies once.
    A second note: Don't sugar scrub before you shave, just wash with body wash/bar soap and you're good. You need as much epidermis as possible.
    A third note: If you want a pre-shave cream that's affordable and won't gunk up the razor, get a 12oz tub of Noxzema for $3.99.
    A fourth note: Kiss My Face shave cream in the 11oz jug is really good. You just do a pump onto the top of the brush to keep going.
    A Fifth note: Brush Suggestion: Omega S-Brush or Omega Pro 49.

A sixth note: There is a female wetshaving subforum somewhere on The Shave Den. I just forget where. Definitely check out the reddits.

Eva_d likes this.
  7. Eva_d

Eva_d Active Member

Thank you so much! That's valuable information.... I will use it for sure! So using a pre shave cream is applying a cream several minutes before shaving in order to soften the hair correct? Then you still apply a lather on top of that before shaving? Does your girlfriend do it that way? The woman's forum is no where near as active as then men's, though I did post there as well .

8. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Welcome! It's nice to see another woman posting here. For a pre-shave, I use a pre-shave oil, which I apply just before I get into the shower. It softens the hair & reduces razor friction. Then, I use shaving soap & a badger-hair brush to lather up.

Click here to learn how to make pre-shave oil. It's easy & cheap.

Bama Samurai and Eva_d like this.
  9. Eva_d

Eva_d Active Member

Hey, I was beginning to wonder where all the girls were. We aren't as active as the guys here, lol. I am still learning a lot though ☺. Thanks for the tip about the preshave. I had just asked someone else about that. I love mixing my own products, it's something I already do so, I'll check out your instructions.

10. maltedmilk

maltedmilk Well-Known Member

Article Team
    Well, you seem off to a good start. You might find a bit of the TSD ladies' perspective >here<, but it is well populated with input from the gents. May be worth searching, though!

I keep trying to talk my wife into switching to the light side. <sigh> No luck yet. Good on yer for giving it a shot!

Welcome to The Den!

Eva_d likes this.
  11. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Cool! I love mixing stuff up too. I also make the shaving soap (for me & the hubby) as well as colognes.

Eva_d likes this.
  12. Daytonkb

Daytonkb Well-Known Member

Welcome! You have a good start! If it helps any, i just got my girlfriend a Gillette Pink Starburst that was purchased on eBay, along with an alum block, and a tub of Taylor of Old Bond street Rose shave cream for V-day. Also Larry over at Whipped Dog makes amazing brushes and has top notch service!

Future Reference list:

Gillette Pink StarBurst
    Taylor of Old Bond Street Shave Cream Rose scent
    Alum Block
    WhippedDog Badger Brush with Pink handle.

http://www.whippeddog.com/products/find/brushes-knots

Eva_d likes this.
  13. GeneralKinetics

You're welcome. Yeah...I think that's the way it works. It helps a little bit when starting out to give you a little bit of margin when your technique isn't that good. You still lather on top of it. She used to do it like that so I could finish a tub of Noxzema I had, but now she's good enough that she doesn't need it anymore. My philosophy on pre-shaves is that you use it when you're starting out to help out a little bit, but then your prep and technique get good enough to not need it.

Also she had decimated my $13 jar of Proraso Pre-Shave Cream, so...yeah. Haha. Noxzema is just as good.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2015
    Eva_d likes this.
  14. Tallships

Tallships Well-Known Member

My wife uses a permanently barrowed:) Gillette Tech with Derby blades (mild) , lathers her legs with my Cella croap and a permanently barrowed:) EJ Badger brush. She likes it better than the cartridge razors she used to use.

Eva_d likes this.
  15. Eva_d

Eva_d Active Member

That does help, thank you for the reminder about the alum.... I suppose I better have some on hand lol

Daytonkb likes this.
  16. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Welcome!
    It sounds as if you're already on your way after disposing of the disposable razors and getting the Weishi!
    :signs107:

Eva_d likes this.
  17. Daytonkb

Daytonkb Well-Known Member

Its a good product to have around for after the shave for sure! It helps clean out little cuts that you cant see and tones the skin. I usually rinse it off my face after about 30 seconds to 1 minute so it doesn't dry my skin out. A cold water rinse to rinse it off is very nice!

18. GeneralKinetics

If you were a young lady, and had acne problems then Alum definitely helps with that too.

19. Eva_d

Eva_d Active Member

Really.... I have a 17yo daughter with some acne. How would she use alum to treat it?

20. Jasman

Jasman Well-Known Member

Rub the alum on a wet face; it will dry out her pores, perhaps considerably.

Eva_d likes this.