Hi new here but not really to shaving

Discussion in 'Welcome Center' started by The Darker Side Of Art, Apr 19, 2017.

1. Hi new here and I just decided to get back to DE shaving (first tried it in-around 1983...peach fuzz)
    I used to sneak and use my grandfathers old gold tone Gillette when i was young and as I remember it was so smooth to use (though i never used anything else to really compare) as the years past and the military entered my life I started using the plastic disposables and electric razors.
    fast forward to this week I decided to go back and revisit those smooth shaves I remember when i was young
    but am not sure if I should pick up a new Mekur/edwin Jagger/ect.... or pick up an original vintage Gillette Super Speed from ebay since the prices are about the same more or less..are there any improvements on the generations or should i stick with the type my grandfather used ? (original Gillettes)

thank you

2. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

Interesting, do you remember any details about your granddads razor?
    I dont recall a golden superspeed(although one would be sharp) . While you didn't say his was a ss, you mentioned shopping for one.
    Oh, hello and welcome.

RyX and The Darker Side Of Art like this.
  3. Hi and thank you.his was not a SS as far as i know it was just gold tone and to me as a young teen it was to coolest thing ever the way you twitsted it and the top opened up (butterfly) the ones i am viewing at the moment are super speeds but silver/chrome

Keithmax, RyX and DaltonGang like this.
  4. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Welcome to The Shave Den!

The new Merkur 34 HD or the EJ DE89 are fine razors, but I think you'd be more happy with a vintage Gillette Super Speed, New Long Comb, New Short Comb, Slim (adjustable), or Fatboy (adjustable). The vintage Gillettes are plated brass, so they'll last for many years.

Have fun!

RyX, The Darker Side Of Art and brit like this.
  5. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
  6. Okay thank you very much...now to find a decent one still in great condition

7. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

This link will help you ID the various vintage Gillettes.

http://www.razorarchive.com/f232039621

8. lightcs1776

lightcs1776 Well-Known Member

Welcome to the Den. My vote is for the vintage Super Speed, although I also like the Merkur 34C if you want something new. Of course, the vintage adjustables are also great.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

9. Thank you I found it already this was the one he had as i remember

Gillette One Piece Generation 3 ( 1947 - 1966)»Gillette Milord
    though the year no clue but at least now i have a better idea of which to look out for and already found this exact one thank you again
    though i am now picking (browsing ebay) for different one (SS) for myself to use

RyX and lightcs1776 like this.
  10. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    High their @The Darker Side Of Art , glad you have joined us. Thank you for your service, too. I vote vintage. Enjoy your journey.
    zwelcome2a.jpg

11. thank you all have been extremely helpful..in 5 minutes I got what I been trying to figure out all week long :)

AGHisBBS, RyX and DaltonGang like this.
  12. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Hi!
    Thanks for serving.

RyX likes this.
  13. brit

brit in a box

hello and welcome,.i prefer vintage.if you don t like them you should get your$ back if you sell them.built in history.lasts a lifetime when looked after.

RyX likes this.
  14. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

Welcome from Central NJ @The Darker Side Of Art. Check out the Safety Razor forum. There is currently a conversation going on about Super Speeds and other vintage Gillettes. Dive on in.
    Thank you for serving our nation(current Army Dad).

RyX likes this.
  15. Str8on2

Str8on2 Well-Known Member

Welcome to the Den amigo.... :signs046:

And thank you for your service and sacrifice.

RyX likes this.
  16. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Welcome, from Texas.

17. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Welcome. Would some like this do to start you out? This one is uglier then a jackrabbit with a broke ear.but shaves great. If it works for you pop me an address in a pm and its yours.
    tmp_24252-20170223_1915592053048294.jpg tmp_24252-20170223_191545968363405.jpg

swarden43, Str8on2, RyX and 1 other person like this.
  18. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

I spent all that time on ebay to find one, and you had it hiding all along. Oh well. I like the one I got. It was well cared for, and I don't care about ugly.

I'll go through my stash, but I only have one milord - lots of 40's SS and flares, and I'd donate one to the cause.

RyX likes this.
  19. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

Howdy and welcome! This is gonna sound like a cop-out to your question, but try both. Which ever you don't like you will certainly be able to sell if you want.

20. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I actually have 2. The other looks better. Both have decent boxes. I PIF'd my last spare SS the other day. Next to go will be a OLD probably.

RyX likes this.