Hisihosi 500 Super Shorty

Discussion in 'Razor Restoration' started by TestDepth, Nov 18, 2017.

1. TestDepth

TestDepth Well-Known Member

What to do when an online purchase goes bad? This Hisihosi 500 Japanese frameback had a crack smack dab in the middle. The seller didn’t see it and I missed it in the pictures. But no harm, no foul and it gave me a chance to play.

So I took the dremel-like tool out with cutting discs (ice water handy) and sanding drums and cut both blade and scales.
    8072FC3D-08EA-40F8-9DBC-0194EBABFA13.jpeg
    I then made a wedge with turquoise trustone (sp?) and used the sanding drum to bevel the top of the frameback, scales and wedge, as I wanted to emulate the original look of the end of the razor. I used the DMT325 as a nice flat surface to “sand” the beveled edge of the scales.

Finally I sanded the scales with 600-1000-1500 progression and lightly touched up the blade. Pinned the wedge end with brass and took it to the stones.
    6415D031-3179-4ED0-BE4B-70DD02DFABF7.jpeg

Not the greatest shaver!!! The edge is fine but it is only 1 & 3/8 inches long, so smaller than a DE blade. It works best if you hold it like a non-folding kamisori, but the blade wants to bite. Totally fun project but I only pull it out when I am up for a challenge.

Here is a comparison pic to a sister frameback.
    A2A0FA45-000A-4743-80F6-DE816A19B7BC.jpeg
    Thank you for looking.
    Tom.

2. Rusty blade

Rusty blade The Good Humor Man

That looks pretty neat! It’s like getting a lemon and making lemonade. I have a shorty and I find it difficult to shave with for the same reason. There is something about a full blade that is hard to replace. Well done.

Billyfergie and TestDepth like this.
  3. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Wow, that is short. You did a good job with the blade work.

4. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    That was a pretty cool project with great results. The shorty looks fabulous.

5. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

D) All of the above

Nice job!

6. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

The finished project looks wonderful! Maybe with some practice you can tame the bite? Anyway beautiful razor! :happy088:

7. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

You did a great job! Do you use it often? If so, do you use it as a detail razor or only on certain areas of your face? I could see it as being maneuverable under the nose.

TestDepth likes this.
  8. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

Super cool, I wish it was a bit friendlier to use for you though.

9. TestDepth

Not often at all. Really a weekend razor when I have a lot of time because it holds no lather. I think you are right- it would be better served trimming up around a beard.

Keithmax, Billyfergie and Jim99 like this.
  10. TestDepth

Thank you all for the kind comments. The straight razor is a cool platform to have some fun with customization.

Billyfergie and Jim99 like this.
  11. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

:happy096:

And

:signs021:

12. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

+1 on all of the above and I love the look of that turquoise wedge. :happy036:

13. riffin

riffin Active Member

What did you do with the piece you cut off? Maybe you can drill a whole in the frame and put a handle on; make it into a T razor.

14. TestDepth

Now you have me thinking...:signs002:

riffin, Keithmax and Billyfergie like this.
  15. riffin

riffin Active Member

Yeah, Ever Ready handles has external threads. That would be easier that adding a post to the blade.

TestDepth likes this.
  16. TestDepth

I haven’t measured but it may also fit in a Wilkinson Empire SE or something similar... with some grinding sparks flying of course. :)

17. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

Rolls razors have handles that clamp on the spine of the blade.

TestDepth likes this.
  18. TestDepth

My Wilkinson thought was a stupid idea :angry032:... that requires proprietary blades.

I've never handled a Rolls razor but it does look like it would work. I have a Heljestrand SE that clamps down in a manner that might work if I remember correctly. Now I need to make sure I can find the remnants of the blade...

Thanks,
    Tom

Drygulch likes this.
  19. riffin

riffin Active Member

Also Henckels made some wedge SEs that might work. It depends on the width of the piece. I think there were others that used a similar clamp.

TestDepth likes this.