Hoarding Soaps

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by swarden43, Dec 2, 2017.

1. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I know many folks will stock up and buy blades in bulk, several hundred of the same brand. I know some who purchase Arko by the case. But what about other soaps? Anyone here have a brand you've been hoarding?
    20171202_150255.jpg
    38 of the Delux. The only place I can find it is at Joint Base MDL, $1.36 a puck. I usually pick up two whenever we go, once or twice a month.

16 of the Luxury. Wegmans for $3.99. I'll get one or two a month.

Far from the only two in my rotation of 26 soaps. Not working too hard to replace ones that get used up. The VDH soaps, TSD Soaps and Tabac could eventually wind up being the only ones in my den.

2. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

Nice, big stacks there, Steve! I've used both of those VDH soaps with great success. Nothing wrong with stocking up. I think highly of those two soaps.

3. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

WOWSER. I don't hoard things quite like your mountain of Delux, but I can see why one would, great price and value.
    I may pick up an extra inexpensive shave stick or Puck if I think it's going to be out of stock in the future.

Spyder likes this.
  4. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

I don't have near that much. I still have too much.

Spyder and FatherofSquirrel like this.
  5. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

I have 2 cases plus a few sticks of Arko here as I bought them for under $1 per stick.

Everything else is just a one off. Aside from the Arko I feel pretty good about using things up.

6. swarden43

That's the very reason I started buying them - chance of being discontinued.
    I thought for a while the Delux was gone. Walmart stopped carrying it, couldn't seem to find it anywhere. Then we started going back to the base Commissary, and there it was. Now it's become more of a fun thing to do, see how many I can get, a few at a time. Certainly don't NEED anymore!

7. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

I have a case of Arko packed away for Armageddon. Otherwise, there are SO many crazy good soaps and scents out there, I can’t really imagine one’s being discontinued would even phase me for more than a second or two.

Except maybe Electric Sheep.

8. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

If they get discontinued, something better will come along.
    I just want to use up what i got.

9. swarden43

12 to a case of Arko?

Bama Samurai likes this.
  10. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

12 Sticks, or around 2000 shaves worth for @Bama Samurai.

11. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

The words "hoard" and "hoarding" can sometimes have a negative connotation.

I would describe your investment as just that; an investment. See how positive that sounds? :)

You've built a nice portfolio that will provide a comfortable retirement for you and an economic shelter if need be. :happy096:

In what has become a throwaway society it is refreshing to know someone who understands the value of preserving items of quality. Now doesn't that sound better than "hoarding"?

12. swarden43

Amen! I like it!!

John Beeman and PLAla like this.
  13. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I have (maybe) two pucks of soap. In total.

Primotenore and PLAla like this.
  14. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Yeah. I bought 3 cases a few years ago. I normally keep 2 or 3 soaps in use at a time and smoosh a new stick in the Old Spice mug when I see the bottom.

I am down to 26 sticks at the moment and have really thought about sending one of the cases to @Bama Samurai so he can shave until he is 115 years old. :)

15. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

Amazing discipline! :smiley respect:

Enrico likes this.
  16. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Well I have fussy skin and just had some go bad. I'll be restocking after Christmas.

PLAla likes this.
  17. Redrock

Redrock Well-Known Member

I don't hoard. I have only one container of each soap (hard/soft/cream) in my den. Amazingly, I do not have a stick of Arko.:shocked003:

18. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

I as well (one of each). But i have ran across situations where the product is unavailable when it is time to restock. But I've been pretty lucky finding new ones.
    My favorite rose was taken off regular production (soap commander love). But Darren said he'd make it limited production. So I'll get a spare one of those.

19. 0qubit1

0qubit1 New Member

No. Although as John Beeman said, you could think of that as an investment, I prefer to “'Use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without.'” The money I would have spent on piles of shaving soap are better invested in the future of my children. Don't have children yet? Plan on it. Don't plan on having children? Shame on you! Men of good stock, as wet shavers obviously are, should provide the world with many children and strengthen the gene pool.

Sent from my LGMP450 using Tapatalk

20. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

I'm not a hoarder. I consider myself a collector.