Hobbies/fish tanks

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by Double Edge Dougy, May 13, 2016.

1. Double Edge Dougy

Double Edge Dougy Well-Known Member

Anyone in here like to keep fish? Im a total newb. Had some as a kid and never really interested after that. My own young son won a gold fish at a carnival. It came home in a little carrier so i bought a small tank. After a while i bought it a tank mate, but they got sick and died. The fish tank was more fun than i expected so a couple weeks ago went and got a betta for it. The tank was a cheap kit but has an l.e.d. light so it looks pretty cool. I really find it relaxing. Any other aquarium guys or gals in the den? Photos and stories welcome

(o geez another AD) gone to pet smart like 10 times lol
    20160512_104012.jpg

2. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

I've been rising fish since I was a kid.
    [​IMG]

3. Double Edge Dougy

Nice....looks like that particular fish has been around a while.

mrchick likes this.
  4. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

5. Mbg75

Mbg75 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Double Edge Dougy

Very impressive

7. Double Edge Dougy

Ahhhh my apologies sir....i should have known theres not a hobby around that isnt represented here at the den. Feel free to move or remove my lost sheep of a thread. If you did have a fish would it perhaps be a catfish with the looooong mustache??

shoe13950, mrchick and swarden43 like this.
  8. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Actually the mods can merge the two threads, that way nothing is lost.
    And I like the catfish idea!

Double Edge Dougy likes this.
  9. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

We had aquariums for many years, from a little 10 gallon when my wife and I were starting out, to at one point we had two 55's and a 29 going at once. That was when my wife was still staying home with little kids. As they grew older and lives got busier, we sold a bunch of fish, both big aquariums, and eventually emptied the little one. Miss them though, it was the most relaxing thing ever at night after a hard day's work.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

10. Fattymaz

Fattymaz Active Member

11. George X

George X Well-Known Member

Beautiful tank. Years ago I kept a saltwater tank.

Double Edge Dougy likes this.
  12. Mbg75

Mbg75 Well-Known Member

Thank you. That pic is from months ago. Took 5 years to get to that point. Haven't maintained it that much lately.

George X and Double Edge Dougy like this.
  13. Double Edge Dougy

Fattymaz likes this.
  14. markjnewcomb

markjnewcomb Well-Known Member

I have a 100 gallon freshwater tank. For me, it is like an indoor garden. The fish are secondary to the plants. I run 4 X 80 watt T5's, a fluval 401, and a DIY co2 reactor. IMG_20160513_193252.jpg IMG_20160514_081635.jpg

IMG_20160513_193252.jpg

15. Double Edge Dougy

16. markjnewcomb

The larger the tank, the easier it is to maintain and the less "out of whack" it will get if something goes slightly wrong. Frankly, I find small tanks (less than about 50 gallons) a real pain to maintain. With a larger tank, the whole system reacts slower to problems (and solutions) than does a small tank. A desk-top goldfish bowl can go bad in 2 days. a 100 gallon tank takes a lot longer to go bad.

The plants do a few things:
    They maintain a natural environment for the fish as opposed to plastic plants.
    Plants eat the fish waste, as opposed to only your filter cleaning the water.
    Plants inject air into the water, allowing you to not use an air stone, although I still inject CO2 for the plants.
    Plants grow and therefore, I get to do my "gardening".

17. markjnewcomb

Unfortunately, my tank suffered a rapid and major outbreak of ich. I started heat and salt. I will let you know if it works.

Robyflexx likes this.
  18. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Sucks. Good luck.

Robyflexx likes this.
  19. markjnewcomb

Thanks. I will let you know how it comes out.

20. Timelord

Timelord I get 12 times the shaves out my blades!

My dad owned a pet shop when I was a kid. Having to feed 67 tanks full of fish (not to mention cleaning all 67 tanks) pretty much cured me of wanting one of my own. But I still like to see other folk's tanks. Feeding goldfish to the piranhas and oscars was always fun, though... :)

markjnewcomb likes this.