Hoffritz Slant Bar ???

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Jim Corbett, Jan 7, 2009.

1. Jim Corbett

Jim Corbett Member

Was just in an Antique Mall and found A Hoffritz Slant bar razor in a silver case. Case holds 2 blade dispensers/ holders. ( 1 silver holder ) with open top included. In excellent condition for $25. Quite heavy and looks well made. I am into roughly 2 months of wet shaving, so this would probably not be a good razor for me. Would it be a good investment for later on ? Or, are these not so good for shaving

Douglas Carey likes this.
  2. burnWood

burnWood Mizzou Fan, YMMV

there are many slant bar worshippers here. get it for the future.

3. lamontqsanford

lamontqsanford New Member

Some guys like those more than the current slants. I would snag it, you can always sell it later for at least that if you don't like it. The newer slants bring about $30 before shipping and you don't get the cool case. If you don't want it I will buy it from you.

4. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

Pick it up, if you don't like it, you can sell it for $40-50 easily. I bet you will love it though.

I should also note, these were also made by Merkur.

5. tom myers

tom myers Member

The Hoffritz was simply a rebadged Merkur. I have a Pomco Diagonal, which is just like it and it is a very good shaving razor.

If it is in nice condition, like you say, and in a case, I'm sure the $25 is a good deal. I would suggest that if you were to go back and get it, you likely won't regret it.

If you do get it and go to use it, just remember to use no pressure and use straight strokes, no diagonal "slides". If used with these two things in mind, these razors will give a great shave without any problems.

Regards,
    Tom

6. Jim Corbett

Jim Corbett Member

The store is only a mile away, so after the positive comments I drove over and got it. Thanks for all the feedback. By the way, they said the vendor was having a sale. $21.36 with tax. Glad I went back. Thanks again. Straight strokes only huh. I think I will wait a little while.

7. Kingpepper

Kingpepper Active Member

Just be a tad careful when you first start using it. It can bite! Once you learn how to use it, you'll have some great shaves.

8. scottydoint

scottydoint Member

Get it. I got mine for $30 I think.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. cooncatbob

cooncatbob Member

I love the silver boxes.
    Best razor case ever made.
    I made my new Progress knobs shorter so that My Progress would fit.
    [​IMG]

10. Jim Corbett

Jim Corbett Member

That is the razor and the box. Hopefully I can find another silver blade holder to make it a complete set. Would a Persona Platinum be a good blade to start off with ?

11. Truckman

Truckman New Member

Nice find!

12. tom myers

tom myers Member

Blades sometimes work differently in different razors for some folks, but if I were you, if you have a blade that you seem to like in your present razor, I would start off using the same one in the slant. If you don't find it to be compatable with the razor, you can then do a little experimenting, but why not start with what is a known blade from your own standpoint?

It is usually prudent to change just one thing at a time. This way, if something isn't acting just as you expect, you at least know what it is that is causing the problem. If you change the razor and the blade at the same time, you won't know which one is creating any problems you may be having.

Regards,
    Tom

13. Jim Corbett

Jim Corbett Member

Thanks Tom. I appreciate that and it makes good sense. The Persona for me seems a little too mild for the Gillette Super Speeds. However, it and does real well in the Merkur HD. So my thought was to start with the least aggressive. The persona gives me a good shave with 3 passes in the super speeds. So, yes I am comfortable with this blade. Again thanks and I will follow your advice.

14. ChemErik

ChemErik Mr. Personality

The IP's do seem to work well in agressive razors. For you Superspeed, you'll eventually want to try Astra Superior blades. SS + Astra is my favorite combo.

15. Larry T

Larry T Member

Hoffritz Slant

I bought this one at an antique store earlier this week, it was $30, but everything in the store was on sale, so I paid under $24 after taxes.

[​IMG]

It is an excellent shaver, I've used it twice this week. I had never used a slant, I was expecting a very aggressive, hard to use razor, what I got, was a couple of great shaves.

Buy it, I think it's a good deal.

Larry

16. Windwalker

Windwalker New Member

Nice score! I would like to find one like that, oh wait I said that I would not buy any more razors this year. :happy102

17. tom myers

tom myers Member

You can't be serious!! :eek:

Regards,
    Tom

18. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

You have to excuse him, us SE guys can be weird.

Fuzzy

19. Windwalker

Windwalker New Member

Well, that didn't take long, just won a lot off of Ebay. Wait, I was after the brushes, so just because the lot contained razors, that doesn't count then does it. ;) See how easy that was, "Gee Honey I bought the brushes and they threw in the razors"!! ;) :happy102 :happy102 You guys will back me up on that, right??? Right???

Attached Files:

20. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I will back you up... for that brush in the lower left the red and white one.:happy102

Fuzzy