holding the razor

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by peacefrog, Feb 5, 2007.

1. peacefrog

peacefrog Jet Setter

When I first started this madness several months ago, I read a post (I think by Kyle) suggesting holding the Merkur HD (the only razor I use) with two fingers at the very end of the handle. The rationale was that it would be easier to avoid applying excess pressure this way. But recently I read a post on Leisureguy's blog suggesting holding the Vision (or Futur, I can't remember) by the balance point. Lately I've been trying that with my HD. I basically hold it with two fingers, with a third wrapped loosely around it for control. I do feel that I have more control this way, since it means my fingers are much closer to the razor's head, but I can't say my shaves have been any better as a result. And it is a bit awkward, though not unmanageably so, going against the grain with this grip. Comments?

2. Will

Will Nevermind

I hold It right in the Middle.

To low and no control.

To High and I will put on too much pressure.

3. Scorpio

Scorpio Big Hitter

I hold mine just above the TTO knob with 3 fingers for more control and feel.

Raf

4. Leisureguy

Leisureguy Read My Blog

I used the Kyle grip just to get a feel for how light the pressure can be and still get a good shave---and I held a razor by the head to get a feel for the right blade angle. (It was a travel razor with no real handle, so you had to hold it by the head.)

But generally, I find a comfortable grip... Once you have a feel for the right pressure and the right angle, I think you can hold the razor any way that feels good. The extreme grips are just illustrative, not (IMHO) for daily shaving. And using the Kyle grip with a Futur or Vision would be extremely difficult and tiring.

5. madmedic

madmedic Resistance Is Futile

Just below the head ..... a long handle is a waste for me!

6. PalmettoB

PalmettoB The Old Guard

I was using that "Kyle" grip for a while, but I saw Mantic suggest like a "dart" in one of his videos, and I think that is sort of what I have migrated to. Two fingers and thumb, razor head above the index finger, about two-thirds the way down the razor's handle.

gmaugie007 likes this.
  7. peacefrog

peacefrog Jet Setter

That's about what I've been doing the last couple shaves...seems comfortable and intuitive. I think Michael has it right...once you've learned the proper touch, hold it however you want.

8. fuerein

fuerein New Member

I almost always hold my razor near the top of the handle, not necessarly just below the head, but definitely upper 1/2 to upper 1/3 of the handle. It also changes from day to day and slightly from razor to razor.

9. msandoval858

msandoval858 Active Member

I use varying grips depending on which direction and area I'm cutting. The two finger method never worked well for me as I felt it was tiring on my hand. Most of all, I just make sure to keep my hand and the razor handle as dry as possible to avoid slipping. As for pressure, blood and irritation are usually a good sign you're apply too much :happy088

10. Smedley

Smedley New Member

I started with the two finger grip, and I've recently switched to a two fingers on top, thumb under, around the middle of the handle. Sort of a dart grip, I guess.

11. Hawkeye5

Hawkeye5 Member

I use a three finger grip as it is the most natural for me. I position my fingers below the balance point of the razor so it is head heavy.

12. Brad

Brad New Member

I am no expert, but what works for me best is the balance point. It helps keep the touch light, and allows for east rotation of blade angle without a lot of extra effort.

13. bearbeard

bearbeard Right Guard

What he said!! I tend to choke up on my razor handle quite a bit. It wasn't until I did this that I started to get descent shaves. I agree with michael that the kyle grip is great to get the feel for how much pressure is needed, but it just is not the grip for me.

14. mparker762

mparker762 New Member

I hold mine just below the head. I actually think the Gillette 195's oddly-located adjuster is a feature since I wind up holding my gillette or vision by the adjuster ring.

15. Stubble

Stubble Member

I hold'em where they will give the closest shave and cause the least amount of damage, that changes from razor to razor, as they all have different head weights etc, etc, ..................

16. rick

rick I'll make ya SCream!

OH GREAT !!
    1 more thing I have to think about now .....:mad:

17. TraderJoe

TraderJoe Pink Floid

Excellent

Hey - thanks for sharing guys - this works GREAT for me :happy088

18. qaswer

qaswer New Member

I even didn't remember that how has i gripped in the beginning but currently i am using above mentioned grip and that is best for me . I am pretty comfortable with this but i am amazed that holding razor from lower end might make more difficulties and can be a cause of scratches . What you people think about it ?

Ijustmissedthe50s likes this.
  19. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

I just wanted to see what the first post was in this section! :p

I use three fingers (two fingers and a thumb) at or near the balance point, or about an inch below the head, and the optimum handle length range is two and three quarters to about three inches.

download.jpg

Knox likes this.
  20. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Middle-ish. Never by the "neck" and not too low.

TobyC likes this.