Home made Denim strop.

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Lavachild, Mar 4, 2011.

1. DoughBoy68

DoughBoy68 Member

I've used denim to strop with before on a paddle strop, works great! The thing is if you have an old pair of jeans then the strop is free, ideal for a beginner with limited funds or someone wanting to get their feet wet without spending a lot.

2. mycarver

mycarver New Member

Saw that same post using the jeans. Twill is Twill and it should work just fine. Too bad most of my jeans are full of holes. Then again go buy a pair at Wally world for 10 bucks, cut 'em up and call it a win. A little rubber cement and off you go. Cheap as far as strops go. Works well to as far as what I read. Ain't got to be so fussy. A win is a win.

3. SmallTank

SmallTank New Member

Might as well make 20 of em and post for sale...:D
    Very nice looking I must say!

ST

4. mycarver

mycarver New Member

As long as the fabric is Twill , it'll work.

5. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

I'm sorry to revive an old thread, but it's a long bus ride home and I was curious about this. Does anyone here have any experience in using denim as a strop? I just got thinking of this when considering using some pastes and I have some old jeans to toss. Don't know if I'll try any paste just yet, but a denim strop with paste sounds like a good idea

I have an excellent strop from drygulch and no paste is going on that baby!

Keithmax and Drygulch like this.
  6. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

I use a soft Chinese strop. Feels like denim, for my Chromium Oxide paste. It works really well. I like using the soft material for chromium oxide better than hard linen.

Keithmax and Jim99 like this.
  7. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Hey, Jim: I can't offer anything useful regarding a denim strop, but when I saw this old of a thread, I was a little surprised to see that you drug it up :D At least you didn't respond to the op as if it was just posted last week :eek:
    I will offer up that Wranglers make better strops than Levi's;)

Keithmax, Billyfergie and Jim99 like this.
  8. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Pretty cool, Ian.

9. Rugger007

Rugger007 Active Member

Not bad at all.

10. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

I've been thinking of making a denim strop also, either hanging or on wood. One question though, should a paste be used, and if so, would you use green or red, thanks.

Keithmax likes this.