Hope your work xmas is good

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by urrlord, Dec 17, 2017.

1. urrlord

urrlord Well-Known Member

As the title says I hope all of you have a good Christmas celebration.
    At least better than our company's.
    Back during the hurricane in September we had to assist a sister unit of the company.Turns out our assistance to them came out of our budget not theirs.So we have been informed that there will be no party with bar priveleges.Instead there will be a bring your own dish to the office.....yeah right.And forget about the usual bonus gift card.Although I did hear that the sister unit is getting the usual goodies....

HolyRollah and Herm2502 like this.
  2. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

May I humbly offer another perspective?

It's a blessing to have a job.
    Christmas office pitch-ins can be a lot of fun.
    Not every rumor you hear at work is true.

Merry Christmas! :)

3. LuvWetShavin

LuvWetShavin Well-Known Member

Love it ! Merry CHRISTmas :D

4. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Amen!

sdguero, GatorJoe and wristwatchb like this.
  5. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

My old employer always had a lunch where we all pitched in and brought something, but no alcohol It wasn't bad at all. New employer goes all-out at a local country club, not bad either.

Herm

barbersurgeon and mrchick like this.
  6. Redrock

Redrock Well-Known Member

Although I have been retired for 5 years, I can well remember how the company down-sided benefits and perks. The end-of-the year Holiday party went away a long time ago. However, we did pot-lucks and had lots of fun. Also, no pay raises for most employees, no bonuses, no comp time, reduced vacation time, and the biggie was no sick time. If you were out sick, you took a vacation day or no pay. I say this not as a tit-for-tat but that many, many companies did this. It was a sign of the times. Profit margins rule the day. I worked with the younger employees to help them understand the direction the company was going. I hung tough and made the 25 year mark. My effort resulted in being able to completely retire at 64. Hang tough, save your money and things will work out in the long run.

GatorJoe and CarlfromMO like this.
  7. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Christmas I understand. What is this work thing?
    [​IMG]

8. dustmite

dustmite Well-Known Member

Things could be worse. I was told at 4:30 today to use the sick time I've accrued tomorrow because as far as anyone knows, we won't have a job past 5 pm tomorrow... Merry Christmas.

Jayaruh likes this.
  9. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Ouch. Sorry to hear that. Although, that must mean new opportunities. I pray you will get an even better job/position.

sdguero, GatorJoe and dustmite like this.
  10. dustmite

Thank you. I've been in much worse positions, and I have a few prospects if it doesn't work out. But I deeply appreciate the prayers.

sdguero, GatorJoe and Jayaruh like this.
  11. Redrock

Redrock Well-Known Member

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. I always make myself think that no matter how bad I may believe my situation is, someone always is in a more difficult position. I hope you employment situation works out.

sdguero, GatorJoe and dustmite like this.
  12. urrlord

Sorry about that dustmite.That is a really crappy way of doing things,Let us know if you do get laid off or if it was a false alarm.

I knew a fellow years ago who was a contractor in a neighboring state who got laid off every December,came home for the holidays and drew unemployment and then went back to work in January.

My little rant was inspired by the old adage...no good deed goes unpunished.It just really irks me to help out and then get scrooged.
    Esp when the company spent 5k landscaping a few weeks ago.

dustmite likes this.
  13. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

What Christmas celebration? ;)

I missed the Christmas dinner in the Netherlands because I was in the UK that day.
    I missed the Christmas dinner in the UK because I was in Denmark last Friday.
    And I'll miss the Christmas dinner in Copenhagen this week because I am currently sick at home!

I am becoming an expert in Christmas celebration avoidance

--
    Pitralon forever - Real pens have a nib - If it doesn't tick, it's not a watch.

sdguero and dustmite like this.
  14. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Let’s not forget the sons and daughters, our service men and women that spend their Christmas away from families: who spend their holidays in hostile environments. No bonuses, no parties.....

I’m not apologizing for not having much sympathy for the OP.........

sdguero and dustmite like this.
  15. dustmite

Along those lines, the police, firefighters, and EMT's. Doctors and nurses in hospitals and emergency rooms, and the long haul truckers who can't make it home...

sdguero and Spyder like this.
  16. tuxxdk

tuxxdk International Penguin of Mystery

I'm sorry, what? Try that here and said company would be dragged through the mud by the unions and the court until they laid down flat, apologized and paid compensation to each employee for screwing them over. That's just unethical, illegal and plain wrong... :( I'm sorry you had to experience that from your employer.

Spyder likes this.
  17. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

Yes, you are really lucky (or clever) in Denmark. Your companies and government still believe that happy workers are productive workers.

No sick time would be illegal here as well, but in general the worker protection rules in Denmark are more sensible than in e.g. the UK or the Netherlands.

--
    Pitralon forever - Real pens have a nib - If it doesn't tick, it's not a watch.

tuxxdk likes this.
  18. urrlord

I worked 30 yrs Corrections.I only got holidays if I happened to be off that day on the schedule -no comp day,no overtime if I did work that day.This job is the first where I had a nice xmas party and little bonuses which is what makes it extra annoying....
    Although this is the first year I am getting xmas off at this job.As long as no one calls in .......

dustmite likes this.
  19. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

My hubby is n EMT. This year he is working on Christmas; last year he was off. It’s just the luck of scheduling, which he understands. It’s simply the nature of that kind of job.

PickledNorthern and dustmite like this.
  20. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

My wife is a nurse. Same deal. Every other holiday. Our kids are older now, so my wife will often work Christmas to get Thanksgiving for nurses with little kids. At least in her job, the $$ is good on holidays. You get holiday pay, and depending on the schedule, it will be an OT shift. So you always make 2-2 1/2 time. And because the money is so good, there are always nurses who want the holiday shifts, so you can usually get out of them if you really want to.

Bama Samurai and Sara-s like this.