Horsehair brush- what should I expect?

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by MR41, Apr 19, 2017.

1. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

I bought a Vie-Long(12601) 35%main/65%Tail. It has great backbone, but is a little rough on the scritch. Do they soften any like a boar? Do they break in much? What should I expect? Thanks in advance!

AGHisBBS and Zykris like this.
  2. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I think they act a lot like a boar. I love my horse brushes. I have 3 now.

MR41 likes this.
  3. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

I hope so, because if it will soften a little, it may become may favorite.

Zykris likes this.
  4. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

My guess is it will. The mixed brush like you have is a favorite. Do you have a pic of it?

MR41 and RyX like this.
  5. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I wish you well. I piffed my horse. Too much scritch for me.

Zykris, RyX and MR41 like this.
  6. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

IMG_0784.JPG

Zykris and RyX like this.
  7. RyX

RyX DoH!

I don't have a horse hair brush, but am interested!
    popcorn_stephen_colbert.gif

RetLEO-07, Zykris and MR41 like this.
  8. Col C

Col C Well-Known Member

I just shaved with my Vi Long horse hair brush on Monday. See below photo. It does act much like a boar brush. Mine took about 2 dozen shaves to break in and is just fine now. I like the backbone of this brush - makes for great lather. A new horse hair brush may have a bit of wet horse smell. If you soak it in warm water, with some shampoo, a couple times (letting it dry out in between soaks) it will get rid of the scent.
    April barbershop.jpg

RyX and MR41 like this.
  9. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Better looking then mine. And I see a few others like them too. There you go.
    Carry on.

MR41 likes this.
  10. ironthinker

ironthinker Well-Known Member

My favorite is a Vie-Long horse. I never noticed any face irritation. My problem has been finding a second horse, the ones I've tried have no backbone.

RyX and MR41 like this.
  11. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

I have the Vie Long Cachuro (spelling might be off.) it is a 50/50 between mane and tail. My experience is the scritch is from the tail portion of hairs. It hasn't softened up really that much after months of using it. I like the mane portion as it is really soft but the tail...still really scritchy. Hope that helps a bit.

Attached Files:

RyX and MR41 like this.
  12. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

This one seems to have good back bone,but it is brand new. Have you had the same experience as Zykris with the degree of scritch remaining the same after months?

Zykris likes this.
  13. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

Very nice. Has it not softened at all?

Zykris likes this.
  14. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

I have a Vie-Long that has softened some, but I don't use it often enough for it to be fully broken in. When I used it for the first couple of times I noticed a pronounced scritch that was very off putting to me. After examining the bristles I found one that was as stiff and thick as a small copper wire. I clipped it off and have had much more comfortable sessions with it since.

RyX and MR41 like this.
  15. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

The tips of the mane have gotten softer. More so than my WD High Mountain Badger. The tail part is what is really scratchy no matter how much I've used it. That was my only exclusively brush for months. It has at least 50-60 shaves on it.

RyX and MR41 like this.
  16. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

MR41 and RyX like this.
  17. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

That's supposedly the one which is also OEM'ed by Cremo.

I have one of the Cremo ones and it does soften up somewhat. More precisely, it does eventually stop poking randomly you with the tail hairs. A good brush though, if a bit small.

RyX likes this.
  18. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

Thank you for adding that, I'm glad to hear it.

RyX likes this.