Hot or Cold water shave

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by Aaron510, Feb 16, 2016.

1. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

Having used all 3 temps(hot, cold & lukewarm) I've found that any temp will give me a decent shave, with hot giving me the closest shave and cold the least irritating. That said I find hot water out of the tap, the most pleasant to use for my shave.
    My shave routine summer and winter:
    hot shower,
    hot towel/shave/razor rinse,
    cold final rinse.:)

Last edited: Feb 17, 2016
    AGHisBBS and Robyflexx like this.
  2. AGHisBBS

AGHisBBS Well-Known Member

Best results for me are warm, not hot.

Robyflexx likes this.
  3. Dantose

Dantose New Member

Have a hot water pot? I boil water in that, mix with the Luke warm tap for preshave soak, and go full hot for lather and razor rinses

4. TheManWithNoName

TheManWithNoName Well-Known Member

I prefer warm or hot water for preparing my face, blooming my hard soaps, and washing my face between passes. I do, however, like to do a final rinse of my face with cold water just before I apply my post shave balm.

AGHisBBS likes this.
  5. Double Edge Dougy

Double Edge Dougy Well-Known Member

Hot!!!!

AGHisBBS likes this.
  6. opsimath

opsimath Well-Known Member

I like both. In hot weather a cold shave is lovely, but I most often shave with hot water (cold final rinse).

A very good reason to at least try a cold water shave is that when hot water isn't available, you are already accustomed to a cold shave and will not be inconvenienced much. Some people swear that one or the other temperature has a huge influence on their shave quality -- I haven't noticed any difference in the results between hot or cold water -- only the the feel of the shave.

7. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

To me that's like suggesting you bang your head against the wall every so often that you eventually get accustomed to it. No thanks. A cold water shave has been and always will be something I don't like and will never get used to. And I can't even remember over the last 50 plus years ever losing hot water.

But that's me.

AGHisBBS likes this.
  8. '65 G-Slim

'65 G-Slim Well-Known Member

Hot shower, hot shave, hot rinse. Hot just feels better.

AGHisBBS likes this.
  9. Omelmad

Omelmad My printer email address is..........

I have tried both and switched back and forward a few times. Now I think warm water shaving is more comfortable because well.. everything is warm and cozy haha =P But I have noticed that when I use cold water I dont get my bumps on my neck that I almost ALWAYS get when I do my warm water shaving.

I will probably never own a scuttle for this reason haha

10. Art_Vandelay

Art_Vandelay New Member

Cold water, except for the few winter months when I use lukewarm water.

Not sure why so many folks have uncomfortable cold water shaves: if you have good lather and a sharp blade, the water temperature should be irrelevant, IMO.

I have found that with cold water shaves, I have zero redness/irritation and my blades last much longer.

11. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Hot.

AGHisBBS likes this.
  12. simms623

simms623 Well-Known Member

I'm not sure yet. I did one cold water shave, no irritation at all. Yippee!!! I said to myself. Tried it again and got some irritation... I said some stuff and it wasn't yippee.

AGHisBBS, opsimath and Robyflexx like this.
  13. Tallships

Tallships Well-Known Member

love the hot washcloth soak

14. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Hot

AGHisBBS likes this.
  15. MattCB

MattCB Well-Known Member

My best shaves are a hot soak in the shower followed by a cold water shave.

Bama Samurai, AGHisBBS and Robyflexx like this.
  16. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Hot shower, hot towel, warm water rinse between passes.
    I've tried cold water shaves before, and it is very uncomfortable. It feels like the hair was being pulled. For me, the warm/Hot water softens the hair, and allows for a smooth shave.
    I've heard, when cold water shaving, blade life diminishes drastically.

AGHisBBS likes this.
  17. Art_Vandelay

Art_Vandelay New Member

I find that to be the complete opposite. I honestly feel like my blades last longer with cold water shaving. Go figure.

AGHisBBS and MattCB like this.
  18. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Alas, I shall never know, first hand. I know there are many many people who swear by cold shaving. My face is just too sensitive to do this.
    That's what's great about sites like this. They introduce people to completely new ways of doing things, that you would have never thought of doing on your own.

AGHisBBS likes this.
  19. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

I feel the cold rinse is the critical thing. It redistributes blood to the skin surface and retards inflammation. Warm or cold lather probably doesn't matter.

(I use all cold. The above is my opinion on optimal shave science, I realize that cold is very off-putting to some.)

Aaron510, AGHisBBS and CyanideMetal like this.
  20. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

The difference between 40f lather and 100f lather will have essentially zero effect on blade life. What shortens blade life is presenting the blade to the skin at a high (greater than 25deg or so) angle. High blade angle "rolls" the blade edge and dulls it through processes known as plastic deformation and elastic deformation. This is why it is possible to strop a blade edge using a soft material like cowhide, because repeated passes over the leather "straighten" the blade bevel by similar forces and processes that caused it to become dull.

Aaron510 and Metro like this.